Rolling Stones top 100 Rock Drummers

surrenders

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67']And... John Bonham...

bonzo, danny carey, ian pace are my favorite drummers.
happy.gif

oh and reni from the stone roses is pretty darn good too!

All great drummers. I thought of you when I saw Danny Carey on the list.

awwww thanks!

and danny is influenced by old bonzo too!

stuwart copeland is amazing too, oh and the old cure drummer, boris williams!

Now that you mention that, you can hear the Bonzo influence in Danny Carey's drumming. A lot of that same 'big drum' sound there too. Oh yeah, Stewart Copeland is amazing. A lot of that off time stuff going on there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='ceallach67 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

happy.gif

awwww thanks!

Now that you mention that, you can hear the Bonzo influence in Danny Carey's drumming. A lot of that same 'big drum' sound there too. Oh yeah, Stewart Copeland is amazing. A lot of that off time stuff going on there.

yes you can, have you heard TOOL'S cover of no quarter? two of my favorite bands! wow! maynard does plant justice! and danny whacks that gong of his. when i saw TOOL live, twice, i was amazed how watching danny carey convinced me he is the best drummer i have ever heard and seen live. his time signatures and incredible. yes bonzo was a powerhouse, and his had the fastest single foot i have ever heard! and his solo's just speak drums. but danny's ease of slipping time signatures from 9,8,7 is genius. and he is not a fast drummer. but his fills, just want to make you play drums!

as a drummer myself, and teaching the instrument now, i listen to alot of drummers. thats what got me into u2! it was larry and his strange set up. i was like, ill have some of that! got some u2 records and learnt how to play drums. along with learning beatles songs too on drums. so thats why i wont have ringo is shit. because of that reason.

the thing with larry is he is good! he has some great drum lines. and has a nice tone, and is a powerful drummer. his work on please is great. and his live work to i threw a brick through a window is good too. but i personally dont know why he is not on the list in all seriousness. he should be really.

but the drummers i can say have influenced me in my style of drumming are............

larry

ringo

danny carey

reni (stone roses)

boris williams (the cure)

stuart copeland

bonzo

ian pace

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

happy.gif

awwww thanks!

yes you can, have you heard TOOL'S cover of no quarter? two of my favorite bands! wow! maynard does plant justice! and danny whacks that gong of his. when i saw TOOL live, twice, i was amazed how watching danny carey convinced me he is the best drummer i have ever heard and seen live. his time signatures and incredible. yes bonzo was a powerhouse, and his had the fastest single foot i have ever heard! and his solo's just speak drums. but danny's ease of slipping time signatures from 9,8,7 is genius. and he is not a fast drummer. but his fills, just want to make you play drums!

as a drummer myself, and teaching the instrument now, i listen to alot of drummers. thats what got me into u2! it was larry and his strange set up. i was like, ill have some of that! got some u2 records and learnt how to play drums. along with learning beatles songs too on drums. so thats why i wont have ringo is shit. because of that reason.

the thing with larry is he is good! he has some great drum lines. and has a nice tone, and is a powerful drummer. his work on please is great. and his live work to i threw a brick through a window is good too. but i personally dont know why he is not on the list in all seriousness. he should be really.

but the drummers i can say have influenced me in my style of drumming are............

larry

ringo

danny carey

reni (stone roses)

boris williams (the cure)

stuart copeland

bonzo

ian pace

I've never had the pleasure of hearing Tool live and I've not heard that cover but I will be searching YouTube for it. I can only imagine how awesome live Carey must be considering how outstanding he sounds on record. Yup, I would bet that he has influenced many to play drums. If nothing else there must be some incredible air drumming going on. I feel the same about Bonzo. I do some mean air drumming along with him. tongue.gif

You're right, Larry is better than he is given credit for. Actually, I think he has really come a long way drum wise. This last album is proof of that. I would say out of all of U2, Larry has improved- musicanship wise, the most out of the whole band. You don't have to be technical to be good. Ringo Starr got the job done but he wasn't all that drumming wise. But he was in the Beatles so that counts for everything. Being a drummer you have to know that you will appreciate the playing much more than a person who is not a drummer.

I listen to drummers from a bass players stand point. Starr certainly left McCartney a whole lot of room there to play and just go off. I listen to drummers and think... I would love to play/jam with this or that drummer.

Yeah I have to agree, Larry is not as technical as these ones listed. Still wondering why Ringo Starr is in there. I'd put Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) either 1 or 2 (who's going to replace him in Dream Theater?). I'd move Joey Jordison (Rob Zombie) up to the Top 10 and include Mike Byrne (current Smashing Pumpkins - drum prodigy) on the list. Overall, all-time #1 drummer: Buddy Rich! (IMO)

• Subscriber

Yeah I have to agree, Larry is not as technical as these ones listed. Still wondering why Ringo Starr is in there. I'd put Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) either 1 or 2 (who's going to replace him in Dream Theater?). I'd move Joey Jordison (Rob Zombie) up to the Top 10 and include Mike Byrne (current Smashing Pumpkins - drum prodigy) on the list. Overall, all-time #1 drummer: Buddy Rich! (IMO)

Absolutely! I was going to say that the reason Buddy Rich wasn't on the list was because he was a jazz player and this is supposed to be a Rock and Roll list but then I realized that Billy Cobham is on the list at #33?! Didn't see that before, then again, I wasn't looking for a jazz drummer's name on a rock and roll list. So now I say where the hell is Buddy Rich, then?? He should be #1. Where is Gene Krupa and Max Roach for that matter?

Actually to make it fair all around, Billy Cobham should not have been included on list.

• Subscriber

A fairly little known Australian drummer called Terapai Richmond is the best drummer I've ever  heard.
My very first paid gig as a sound engineer was for a band called Multiball, featuring Terapai on the drums.

I was 19 and it was the night after Popmart in Sydney randomly enough! I was a fan of DIG, his previous band and I was pretty stoked to get to work with some of those guys side-project, Multiball.

Anyways, it went well, lol,  and I've got to do sound for many bands over the following years with Terapai tearing it up on the drums

• Subscriber

A fairly little known Australian drummer called Terapai Richmond is the best drummer I've ever  heard.
My very first paid gig as a sound engineer was for a band called Multiball, featuring Terapai on the drums.

I was 19 and it was the night after Popmart in Sydney randomly enough! I was a fan of DIG, his previous band and I was pretty stoked to get to work with some of those guys side-project, Multiball.

Anyways, it went well, lol,  and I've got to do sound for many bands over the following years with Terapai tearing it up on the drums