ONE NATION RALLY in DC

security_in_anonymity

Liberalgroups plan One Nation rally in D.C.

By KrissahThompson

Washington Post Staff Writer 

Tuesday, September 28, 2010; 10:56 AM

Liberal groups hoping to reviveenthusiasm before the midterm elections are encouraging members to show up onthe Mall on Saturday for a rally that they expect to draw tens ofthousands of people.

Their aim is to reclaim the senseof excitement that surged among left-leaning groups after the 2008 presidentialrace but more recently has belonged to tea party groups and other conservativeactivists. Conservative commentator GlennBeck filled the Mall with tens of thousands of hissupporters last month.

The organizers of the Oct. 2rally, dubbed One Nation, are calling it the "most diverse march inhistory." The amalgam of 300 progressive groups -environmentalists, antiwar activists, church and civil rights groups, unionorganizers, gay rights coalitions and others - is planning four hours ofspeeches, singing and spoken-word poems.

"We lose separately, andabsent of a strategy to work together we will continue to lose," saidPhaedra Ellis-Lamkins, chief executive of Green for All, an environmental groupsupporting the march. "We have to be able to take critical action on allof the issues facing this country. We're at a critical moment in history, andwe have the opportunity to move forward in a really significant way."

The One Nation groups hope to setup a kind of competition with the tea party movement. If their rally issuccessful, organizers will try to hold the groups together to become a revivedpolitical force. They are promoting the rally through their network of groups,on liberal radio, and on television host Ed Schultz's show.

"We aren't the alternativeto the tea party, we are the antidote," said NAACP President BenjaminJealous, who has also been a lead organizer. The team that produces the NAACP'sannual Image Awards show will put together the program for One Nation.

The groups involved representmany of PresidentObama's core supporters, including the National Council of La Raza,NAACP, AFL-CIO, SEIU and the U.S. Student Association. The effort is separatefrom the Democratic Party's plan to spend $50 milliontrying to reach those same voters - though Organizing for America, the grass-roots networkthat Obama's campaign created, will send out an e-mail encouraging itsaffiliates to attend.

It is unclear how many peoplewill make it to Washingtonfor the rally, but organizers' expectations are high. Last week, the rally'sleaders were still trying to raise money to bring 50,000 students to the event.A plan by Comedy Central television hosts Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert tohold dueling rallies on Oct. 30 could appeal to some potential One Nationparticipants, creating a less-than-desirable competition for liberal-leaningwould-be activists.

PH2010082802461.jpg

The Fox News conservative commentator exhorted a sprawling crowd on the Mall on Saturday to restore the traditional American value of honor.

Unlike Beck's rally, in whichovert politics took a back seat to religious and patriotic themes, theprogressive groups will repeatedly remind attendees at their rally to vote inNovember's mid-term elections, said Arlene Holt Baker, executive vice presidentof AFL-CIO.

"We have heard a lot aboutfrustration and anger leading to apathy. What we are finding is that anger isnow turning into, 'Okay, let's act,'â??" Holt Baker said. "We caneither sit here and not move forward or we can go backward."

She sees the rally as a firststep in a more unified progressive movement, which has often splintered intoits own niche causes.

The diverse range of groupsparticipating in One Nation creates some inherent tension. Gay rights groups,such as Human Rights Campaign, will attend alongside socially conservativefaith groups including the National Baptist Convention and the National Missionary Baptist Church. A mineworkersunion and groups of environmentalists have also endorsed the event.

Organizers say they are focusingon three big, unifying ideas: jobs, justice and education. Those ideas aredefined in a set of principles, which lays out a list of causes largelysupported by liberals. They include ending discrimination in the criminaljustice system, protecting Social Security, spending federal money to stimulatejobs and improving public education.

"These are the big rockissues that define who we are and why we march," Jealous said.

By the way...I am not advocating people attend this rally. I am just sharing the info because I thought a good many on this board might be interested in participating. I live two blocks from the National Mall, so will wander through and have a look. But I also wandered through the Glenn Beck rally, "to have a look." In fact, I wander through just about everything that happens on the mall, which is really quite a lot! :-D

This is their website http://action.onenationwo...ogether.org/content/main

I hope this gets a big turnout. Bigger then nutball Glenn Beck's and all his scary followers. These midterm elections are very important, because if the Repubes take over Congress, watch out. American voters are the most fickle and uneducated voters around, they vote on sound bites by extremists.

The most intelligent guy around who says it like it is no matter Dems or Repubes is Norman Goldman. I listen to his radio show every day http://www.normangoldman.com/

This is their website http://action.onenationwo...ogether.org/content/main

I hope this gets a big turnout. Bigger then nutball Glenn Beck's and all his scary followers. These midterm elections are very important, because if the Repubes take over Congress, watch out. American voters are the most fickle and uneducated voters around, they vote on sound bites by extremists.

The most intelligent guy around who says it like it is no matter Dems or Repubes is Norman Goldman. I listen to his radio show every day http://www.normangoldman.com/

To be fair to the "uneducated American" public, American politics *are* the politics of extremism, and the screwball wingnuts are on both sides of the aisle. Most Americans are just disgusted with the poor choices offered to us every election, and most of those who even bother to vote do so out of a sense of democratic duty, rather than inspiration, and are always having to choose between the least offensive of candidates.

As far as turn-around on this rally, I read that some of the labor unions and other groups are going to bus people into the city.

I await the day when a charismatic, scientific mind emerges from the political morass and is able to lead this country on a path of rational political moderation.

To be fair to the "uneducated American" public, American politics *are* the politics of extremism, and the screwball wingnuts are on both sides of the aisle. Most Americans are just disgusted with the poor choices offered to us every election, and most of those who even bother to vote do so out of a sense of democratic duty, rather than inspiration, and are always having to choose between the least offensive of candidates.

As far as turn-around on this rally, I read that some of the labor unions and other groups are going to bus people into the city.

I await the day when a charismatic, scientific mind emerges from the political morass and is able to lead this country on a path of rational political moderation.

I concur

Apologies up front for posting this same reply in two threads (Lillywhite and One Nation), but I think there is an overlap in forces between these two topics--entertainment markets and political landscapes.

On repugnantly idiotic political strategies and a similar instinct to release Boots over NL or Magnificent:

Perhaps the old-school entertainment executives and political strategists, whom I think have much in common, are misreading the modern public.  Really, they don't give us very much credit.  The political hacks think the only thing we want, can understand and need are vacuous soundbites delivered in rhetorical vocal tones of crass emotional manipulation.  Likewise, the entertainment executives may think we will respond to the shallow bubble gum of Boots.  

Their analysis is, perhaps, rooted in a historical context which is now--suddenly and quickly--coming to pass.  A context in which information, entertainment and taste and opinion-making were largely defined in industry vacuums with studios and  "thought leaders" holding a monopoly on what the public is  exposed to. 

But now that we have open, global media--enabled by the internet--publics have a greater range of raw material from which to form their tastes and opinions.  And the industry and organizational assumptions of the past simply do not hold up any longer.

I think people need to stop underestimating our intelligence and sophistication.  Not only is this an increasingly ineffective delusion on their part, but it also extremely offensive.  And nothing is more alienating than being condescended to.

By the way, I am en route to the rally and will post pictures.