Your 2 -Year Plan...

security_in_anonymity

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seeing this post now. I declared the dream of living and working in Ireland by my 40th birthday about 6 months ago on this site. Set the intention like you are doing.

I just finished telling a co-worker moments ago that I have to keep my eye on the ball which is summer 2012 when I hope to have convinced a social worker in Dublin to supervise me on an internship at a school/agency for children and youth with intellectual disabilities that looks fabulous.

I contacted him last winter to inquire about a job and he said I had to have the social work degree even though I have a lot of work experience in the field. My BA isn't enough. I told him I'd be in contact in a couple of years which I'm sure made him laugh. Little does he know how determined I can be!

I applied to and was accepted into the BSW virtual learning program at the U of Calgary and went back to school this autumn to complete my degree, a career that I know I can use any time any where at any age in addition to my other skills. I can get the first practicum placement done here at the school where I'm working but will need a second placement for July and August in 2012!! Maybe I'll find a way to stay on after that. if it's meant to be.

But I have a lot of dreams and so I keep plugging away at them here and there. The live and work in Ireland one was a dream that I have had since childhood but had not made any movement on yet so that's the most focused goal. I realized I had gotten too safe in my life choices last winter and started living out loud again. I'd rather attempt a pipe dream and fail then live too contentedly.

• Subscriber

My plan when we adopted our kids was for me to stay home with them and give them all the emotional and physical support that they needed . . . . . I thought our dream was finally realized last year, but looks like I'm going to return to work in the next school year. My hope and dream is to pay off some accumulated bills (damn things won't go away!!!) and put more money aside so if we have future emergencies (as I'm sure we will), we won't be back in this position, and get back home in a couple of years. Doesn't sound like a huge dream, but it's really all I want.

• Subscriber

My plan is to finish the work for my Master's degree (should be done in May 2011). I hope to be able to get a job in my chosen field, which is a librarian. I currently work in a library and hope to work there as a librarian. I'm also working on getting my passport so I can go to Ireland next year. Maybe there will be some U2 shows for me to go to when I'm there...fingers crossed! That's about as far ahead as I have planned. 

You guys are great!  Thanks for weighing in.  It seems there are quite a few teachers on here--or teachers-in-waiting.  I don't know if any of you are in the States, but if so, and in case you do not know, the US government has several programs for teachers who are willing to spend three years teaching in either inner-city or rural areas....there is a huge shortage of people willing to work in these places.  If you will commit to three years, the government offers all sorts of incentives, including waiving your student loans.  I assume this program has not been cancelled in the last two years.  So, you may want to check this out through the Department of Education if you have not already done so.  Good luck!

And for those of you planning to go abroad...I am super excited for you!  Travel to anywhere at any time for any reason is an excellent plan, in my opinion!

And for those of you planning to remodel your homes, I am envious (in a nice and supportive way).  I lost my home in March 2008  and would very much like to secure a new one.  So, clearly, that is in the plan too--but is not a new goal.   It is hard to start a business, much less change the world, without somewhere to regularly plug in ones computer and make a cup of coffee!  :-D

• Subscriber
You guys are great!  Thanks for weighing in.  It seems there are quite a few teachers on here--or teachers-in-waiting.  I don't know if any of you are in the States, but if so, and in case you do not know, the US government has several programs for teachers who are willing to spend three years teaching in either inner-city or rural areas....there is a huge shortage of people willing to work in these places.  If you will commit to three years, the government offers all sorts of incentives, including waiving your student loans.  I assume this program has not been cancelled in the last two years.  So, you may want to check this out through the Department of Education if you have not already done so.  Good luck!

And for those of you planning to go abroad...I am super excited for you!  Travel to anywhere at any time for any reason is an excellent plan, in my opinion!

And for those of you planning to remodel your homes, I am envious (in a nice and supportive way).  I lost my home in March 2008  and would very much like to secure a new one.  So, clearly, that is in the plan too--but is not a new goal.   It is hard to start a business, much less change the world, without somewhere to regularly plug in ones computer and make a cup of coffee!  :-D
Sorry that you lost your home - that's really tough frown.gif and I wish you all the best in finding a new one!!! I do believe that they still have the program you refer to, at least a version of it. My husband made a little bit of extra money (they called it combat pay back then) by working in L.A. when he first became a teacher, but he never had his loans re-paid (I wish). His students were hard core gangsters and several of the females were raped while walking to or from school on a regular basis, then one night a bullet went through his classroom. I was never so relieved to see him leave a job! I would take a rural job in a heartbeat if I were young and just starting off (even though the pay totally sucks), but I'm not about to up-root my kids and give up our house (we're upside down in it as it is and couldn't even come close to selling it in this market) and even though I don't wish to return to teaching, I do feel lucky that I have the job waiting for me next August. For teachers just starting off, if you get the students loans forgiven, then it's easier to accept the low pay in a rural area for a few years, then hopefully the economy will pick up and you can move to another district having experience and no bills.