Best rules or advice you've been given??

I've loads:

The comical one: Shoot first, ask questions later.

I think Ireland is lucky that guns aren't legal otherwise I'd be asking too many questions of dead / seriously injured people.

The Jesus one: Judge no one lest ye be judged.

I try my best not to judge anyone. It's not always easy but I'm doing alright.

The Self one: Judge no one but yourself.

I think we should always look at ourselves and judge ourselves on how we are doing and work to improve.

The Religious Truth one: No religion has the right to truth for no religion can prove their truth.

Unless a religion can prove there is a God, or that we do reincarnate, or that we do go somewhere else when we die, or that we did come from another planet, then I take them all with a pinch of salt and some mash.

The Respect one: Respect everyone. That means Everyone. Unless you have never bent your knees to the almighty toilet seat, then you are no greater than anyone else.

Yes, you might be richer than some, you might have a bigger car, you might have a better physique, you might have a huge house, a wonderful spouse, intelligent children, but really, when you die, game over.

The Giving one: Give freely for you received freely.

You didn't pay to come on this planet. No one did. You were brought up by someone who paid for your food and your clothing and the roof over your head. You never had to pay back that which you received freely. Unfortunately, there are those on this planet that are not as fortunate as you or I. Give freely.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

my mom, always tried to look after everyone and please everyone, once said to me: i am getting to old to say yes to everyone, everytime... time to take myself in consideration from now on. (she didnt stick with it, but i told myself i wasnt gonna wait till i was her age to learn this lesson!)

some advice i give to my kids frequently (and something i always lived up to): be yourself, make your own choices and don care about fashion or other peoples opinions too much.
  • Subscriber

Recently:

Choose your enemies carefully ‘cos they will define you

Make them interesting ‘cos in some ways they will mind you

They’re not there in the beginning but when your story ends

Gonna last with you longer than your friends

• Subscriber

My parents told me that you are best to argue for a night than suffer in silence for the rest of a marriage.  

When I was a teenager & had been found with a hotel booked for a steamy night my Dad advised that it was reasonable to try your shoes on before you buy, but always have this in mind: think of the girls dad with a shotgun should they get pregnant wink.gif

My parents told me that you are best to argue for a night than suffer in silence for the rest of a marriage.  

When I was a teenager & had been found with a hotel booked for a steamy night my Dad advised that it was reasonable to try your shoes on before you buy, but always have this in mind: think of the girls dad with a shotgun should they get pregnant wink.gif

no glove

no lovesmile.gif

Live life, shoot the "V" and no regrets.

My six-week canoe trip friends and I made it up when we were teens. Means: live in the moment, live life like you're paddling an unscouted rapid. Look for the "V" or the deepest, fastest, surest channel but don't live with regret no matter what happens once you're in it. Make your decisions the best you can as you can and carry on! And don't forget to laugh and lean on your friends and have them lean on you.

Live life, shoot the "V" and no regrets.