oi brits can you help?

celticfc09

• Subscriber

Ok I could use some help and I know this has been discussed by some of you on the past so help me out please. Maggie thatcher. I know she's very unpopular with many britons. Why? What did she do that hurt britons during her reign? How (if it applies) did thatcherism hurt you? Or just why is she and the Tories unpopular with so many? Now don't cause your blood pressure to rise but anything substantive would be very helpful.

• Subscriber

Personal opinion:  can't stand the woman but that's just my opinion for any thatcherites out there who may feel the need to jump on me in her defence!!

She was a strong leader/character but my memory of her was her harsh politics, many people, particularly less well off people and the horrendous number of unemployed, struggled under her leadership, I'll never forget nor forgive her for the hardship she caused to so many.  I could go on but I fear a lot of bad language would appear here! 

• Subscriber

I hated the woman because she messed up the NHS, sold off council houses, don't even get me started on the unfairness of the poll tax, or the treatment of the miners.

As Anjana says, yes she was a stong leader, but she had no time or compassion for people that needed some help in life. Not everyone is fortunate to be able to stand on their own feet, some people need help. And I will stop now or else my blood pressure will start to rise........................

• Subscriber

I hated the woman because she messed up the NHS, sold off council houses, don't even get me started on the unfairness of the poll tax, or the treatment of the miners.

As Anjana says, yes she was a stong leader, but she had no time or compassion for people that needed some help in life. Not everyone is fortunate to be able to stand on their own feet, some people need help. And I will stop now or else my blood pressure will start to rise........................

God the poll taxmad.gif aghhhhhh! and yes her lack of compassion, I totally agree.

(Hi Maggie!) 

• Subscriber

Oh no...

I'm not a brit and I was very young when she was a prime minister.

But still what comes to my mind when hearing her name is that is that she was cold-blooded and unjust woman with no empathy, causing a enormous difficulties to normal workers ... tried to destroy trade union movement and I guess succeeded at least harm it very badly?

• Subscriber

oh my goodness, thank you for this, its exactly what I needed, the miners? can someone explain?

You may want to google search "coal miners and Thatcher" there is a wealth of commentary, the bbc is probably one of the more reliable ones in terms of accurate information.