Jon Stewart's "Rally for Sanity" in DC (signs and photos)

security_in_anonymity

A rally for the Moderate and Rational MAJORITY to have fun!

I was there!  And I will post pictures...  And more details...  The turnout was HUGE.  

So far, the news I am seeing suggests a crowd 1/2 or even 1/3 of what was actually there.  The mall was packed all the way from the Capitol to the Washington Monument--that is 3rd to 14th street.  The rally was only scheduled from 3rd to 7th streets, and it seems organizers underestimated the turn-out--by at least half!!  There were no screens or speakers for the tens-of-thousands who filled in behind 7th.   I also could not see the end of the crowd extending up 7th street--they were  packed in at least 5 blocks away, where they disappeared over a slight hill.

Washington Post's first article headline claims "Thousands Attend."  This is utter bull. Also, all of the major news networks forbid their staff from attending. And only one helicopter flew over, and it was not carrying news markings. So...you guys will have to look at YouTube and elsewhere to get coverage.  C-Span did a good job capturing the scene.  

Heh!    wink.gif

The people immediately around me ranged from 8-65, came from all over the country:  Louisiana, Florida, Seattle, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey, and were students, software developers, aerospace engineers, health professionals, retirees, teachers and artists.  A very substantive crowd....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good photos already coming online.  First reporting on crowd estimates of 150,000--which was mentioned at the rally itself.  I suspect it was considerably larger, but I am still picking around with maps, archive photos of other rallies that had crowd estimates,  etc. to decide....

Just saw this little blurb:

Christian Science Monitor:

Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" in Washington has sparked more than 1,160 mini-rallies in 84 countries, morphing into something of a global political happening.

Lots of good photos already coming online.  First reporting on crowd estimates of 150,000--which was mentioned at the rally itself.  I suspect it was considerably larger, but I am still picking around with maps, archive photos of other rallies that had crowd estimates,  etc. to decide....

Jon Stewart's "Rally to Restore Sanity" in Washington has sparked more than 1,160 mini-rallies in 84 countries, morphing into something of a global political happening.

• Subscriber

A rally for the Moderate and Rational MAJORITY to have fun!

I was there!  And I will post pictures...  And more details...  The turnout was HUGE.  

So far, the news I am seeing suggests a crowd 1/2 or even 1/3 of what was actually there.  The mall was packed all the way from the Capitol to the Washington Monument--that is 3rd to 14th street.  The rally was only scheduled from 3rd to 7th streets, and it seems organizers underestimated the turn-out--by at least half!!  There were no screens or speakers for the tens-of-thousands who filled in behind 7th.   I also could not see the end of the crowd extending up 7th street--they were  packed in at least 5 blocks away, where they disappeared over a slight hill.

Washington Post's first article headline claims "Thousands Attend."  This is utter bull. Also, all of the major news networks forbid their staff from attending. And only one helicopter flew over, and it was not carrying news markings. So...you guys will have to look at YouTube and elsewhere to get coverage.  C-Span did a good job capturing the scene.  

Heh!    wink.gif

The people immediately around me ranged from 8-65, came from all over the country:  Louisiana, Florida, Seattle, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey, and were students, software developers, aerospace engineers, health professionals, retirees, teachers and artists.  A very substantive crowd....
Thank you for the report. I watched it on Comedy Central and I could see there were a lot of people there. I looked for reports on the Internet to see what the crowd estimates were but couldn't find any numbers. One story left it at "thousands" -- not the Washington Post story you cited but an AP story, I think. Finally, I found a  story that said there were 60,000 people. I thought it looked like a lot more than that. It's good to have a first-hand account_74615. Hope you enjoyed it.

Hey, thanks for being interested Julie (or is it Bryan?) :-)

CBS has now put the crowd estimate at 215,000--which feels about right to me.  That probably accounts for the unbelievably dense, can't move at all, shoulder-to-shoulder standing crowd on the mall itself and a block or so out on both sides.  But there was a lot of continuous movement too--in and out--in huge waves along the edges.  And thousands walking down streets.  So, if these are also counted, then 250,000 would not surprise me. 

Apparently the organizers anticipated 60,000, but arranged porta-potties for 125,000. 

The video link up top of Stewart's speech has some good crowd shots (and is a good speech, too.)  My photos came out poorly, but here are some gathered from the web:

9007263-standard.jpg

9007257-large.jpgs-RALLY-TO-RESTORE-SANITY-ATTENDANCE-large.jpg Aerial_Photo_2__370x278.jpg

this next shot looks across the width of the Mall rather than the length. (ignore the fish-eye curve) We were deep and wide :-)
9007251-standard.jpg
9007258-standard.jpgstewart_colbert_rally_aerial_1_620x350.JPG
9007254-standard.jpg
9007252-standard.jpg