I always feel like somebodys watching me......

basher1

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

security_in_anonymity']Here, here is the scene that made its way onto CNN.  It looks a little stretched, because the CNN site uses some sort of weird compression.  Unfortunately, it won't let me embed the clip here.  :-(

looks like my daughter's simms.

Yes, Virtual technologies are still quite rudimentary, especially at the consumer-grade level.  Although there are some enterprise-level platforms where the graphics are much more realistic.  What is interesting about virtual world platforms, however, is the ability for people to interact in real-time--and in the not too distant future, that interaction will become much more realistic.

I just saw a new announcement today for a new wii-style interface that will allow one to film inside virtual platforms as if one is actually carrying a film camera (or video camera) rather than having to use a mouse to simulate cinematography.  Soon, we will not have to use any interface device at all--just our bodies.

I have also seen the prototypes of interfaces that allow one to move an avatar on the screen, in a virtual platform, using only thought.  This is being researched to assist the paralyzed, for example.  

The film looks like  cartoon, but the nascent research going on in that platform is quite interesting, and many substantive organizations are in there doing stuff, like NASA and the State Department, various military branches, hundreds of universities, embassies, etc.  It is an emerging technology and still quite quite young.  But cool!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

security_in_anonymity']Here, here is the scene that made its way onto CNN.  It looks a little stretched, because the CNN site uses some sort of weird compression.  Unfortunately, it won't let me embed the clip here.  :-(

looks like my daughter's simms.

Yes, Virtual technologies are still quite rudimentary, especially at the consumer-grade level.  Although there are some enterprise-level platforms where the graphics are much more realistic.  What is interesting about virtual world platforms, however, is the ability for people to interact in real-time--and in the not too distant future, that interaction will become much more realistic.

I just saw a new announcement today for a new wii-style interface that will allow one to film inside virtual platforms as if one is actually carrying a film camera (or video camera) rather than having to use a mouse to simulate cinematography.  Soon, we will not have to use any interface device at all--just our bodies.

I have also seen the prototypes of interfaces that allow one to move an avatar on the screen, in a virtual platform, using only thought.  This is being researched to assist the paralyzed, for example.  

The film looks like  cartoon, but the nascent research going on in that platform is quite interesting, and many substantive organizations are in there doing stuff, like NASA and the State Department, various military branches, hundreds of universities, embassies, etc.  It is an emerging technology and still quite quite young.  But cool!

I also collaborated with a Cornell University project that looks strictly at serious applications of virtual worlds.  They use the platform to produce a live NPR-style news and analysis show.  It is filmed in front of a virtual studio audience--every avatar there is an active person at their computer somewhere--and it is streamed across the web.  They also innovated a technology bridge that allows people who are not actually in the virtual platform to see into it from the regular web and chat with those inside. This is significant, because, eventually, the web will not be flat like it is now.  It will be wholly 3-D and immersive.  Web 3.0, so to speak....

I also collaborated with a Cornell University project that looks strictly at serious applications of virtual worlds.  They use the platform to produce a live NPR-style news and analysis show.  It is filmed in front of a virtual studio audience--every avatar there is an active person at their computer somewhere--and it is streamed across the web.  They also innovated a technology bridge that allows people who are not actually in the virtual platform to see into it from the regular web and chat with those inside. This is significant, because, eventually, the web will not be flat like it is now.  It will be wholly 3-D and immersive.  Web 3.0, so to speak....