Bono's Snippets

security_in_anonymity

I love Bono's song "snippets."  They are the single-most interesting thing that prompts me to check-in on set lists for shows.  I like them because I often learn of new artists through them, and for the additional thematic punctuation they add to various songs.  

Sometimes it is clear that a snippet is included to pay tribute to someone in the locale where the show is taking place--a friend or colleague, someone in the audience, etc.   But, most of the time, their use seems random, although undoubtedly there is reason at work... at least for those in the know...which might only be Bono! :-D  

I have looked way back into former tour set-lists and see this is something he has always done.  Are there any other singers who also use this device that you know of?  And, for those of you who have been around forever, have you discerned any particular reason or pattern for the inclusion of snippets?  Thanks!

• Subscriber

i seem to notice they are artists that have influenced U2, such as the Clash, David Bowie, elvis costello, Joy Division

or they are artists that Bono likes/respects like REM, Rolling Stones, Bob Marley Frank Sinatra

i like em too, my favorites are Blackbird after BD and Bullet with Butterfly wings (vertigo electric co)

and of course love will tear us apart, shine like stars during WOWY