Fears begone! Awesome Friday Show at Docklands Melbourne!

powervideo

I'mreading a LOT of negative feedback on the news sites about the first Melbourneshow; that the band was disinterested, the crowd in the stands uninvolved andbored, the same stage banter... and even non-rappers thinking Jay-Z was thestandout of the night.  WTF. I'm concerned the 360 tour hasbeen on the road for so long that we have all seen the Blu-ray, the TVspecials, the YouTube videos, and there isn't anything new to see or hearbesides the actual physical experience of being at a 360 concert.

We'repaying big bucks to see this show; I've bought four tix for the family for$1400 and I fear we might not be getting the real deal. The showhas been on the road for so long, is so automated, the light & video showso programmed, the set list so routine and predictable, the"expectation" by the band that every stadium crowd will go nuts assoon as they hit the stage and stay that way until the end; but the resultantlack of enthusiasm and fulfilment on BOTH sides of the stage is almostinevitable.

I'm goingtomorrow with the family and spending a LOT of money on travel, tickets, mealsand accommodation.  I don't want much - just passion and the songs I'veloved.  I want the classic songs, an experience,  sincerity and unpredictability. But I fear that was another band a long time ago.  I so hope I'm wrong.

Edit:  Saturday morning.  Fantastic show.  Read later post #18...happy.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

You are. I've been reading negative comments too but only from trolls and whingers who weren't even there! All the media reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, as they should be! The show was awesome, the band (especially Bono) were on fire and they were really taken aback by just how into it the crowd were. I'm sure there were some people seated down the back who weren't that into it but why listen to them??

Seriously, don't diss a show you've not even seen- it has to be seen to be believed! If you've not been yet why so negative? Trust me, it will be $1400 well spent! 

• Subscriber

I thought the band were in good nick.

The people on the floor were good and loud.

You know that about 18 or 19 songs are going to be the same.

We got BAD last night which isn't played that often.

There are about 8 different songs to when I saw them in the USA last year and the setlist has changed considerably since the first couple of shows.

I looked up last night after Vertigo and the people in the seats were all sat down.

Maybe if you are in the seats and you stand up, dance around and wave your arms it may just catch on and a whole lot more people will enjoy it. The US shows I went to almost all the people in the stands were stood up.

I suppose to some extent people get out of it what they are prepared to put in.

I've just that I've never read so many negative reports about a U2 show. I saw them in '85 at Milton Keynes with REM, The Ramones and Billy Bragg (oh the mud), then Live Aid at Wembley, then Melbourne in the late Eighties, all great, great shows.

It's not the trolls and whingers, but real people who were there. I'm going tomorrow night with a truly positive outlook (have to!), but any band who has toured such a massive show for so many shows has to be constantly aware of their audience's expectations to keep it fresh. I'll report back on Saturday for what it's worth.

I was right on the catwalk and I can tell you, it went right off where I was.

I haven't watched the DVDs or youTube clips on purpose, so for me it was a spectacular event that I simply couldn't have imagined before hand.

In terms of the set-list, well everyone expects classics, and you'd feel cheated without them, but there's a nice balance of new stuff in there as well. I think those people are whingers, because honestly, I don't know how they could improve; I'm not sure if they expect Bono to ascend as the messiah or something, but they're just musicians, there's not a lot of tricks in their bag. They played classics, new stuff, old stuff for the fans and not the casual listeners, and unreleased stuff, so really, what else can you expect/want?

I worked the show last night and the feedback was simply unbelievable. Take it from somebody who was right in the mix that it was the most inspiring show since 2006. Oh yeah, thats when U2 last played here. I had people that were NOT fans of U2 that went last night and said it was a stunning show that blew them away.

The fact that I got to meet Larry tonight has nothing to do with it tongue.gif

• Subscriber

They were absolutely on fire in Paris.I can honestly say it was THE best ive seen them so far......i was in the seats behind the stage and although some sat down for some of it.(probably tired from dancing) most of the time we were all cheering,waving and singing,and woooohooooooooing at the tops of our voices. I took two of my granddaughters for their first concert and to see them so happy and excited,with shining eyes was so worth the small fortune i paid.

• Subscriber

I wasn't at Melbourne I, so can't comment on that, but I wouldn't worry about them doing a lot of shows as a staleness-inducing problem. Actually, they've done considerably FEWER shows on this tour than their earlier ones, by a good margin--and that's even counting ahead through S.A. and the last US leg. I (and tons of other folks, of course) do wish they'd change things around more, but unfortunately not shaking things up too much seems to go along with their stadium (vs. arena) shows--and it's always been that way with them.