Bono interviewed on FOX news on fighting AIDS in Africa

surrenders

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

"I don't want to talk about wars between nations...  Not right now!"

So, lets talk about what creates peace....  What I believe Bono is saying is that parts of Africa are unstable because of extreme poverty and AIDS.  These areas are extremely vulnerable to terroroists coming in and setting up camp.  One of Bono's "selling" points is if the wealthy countries help African's get back on their feet, it would help prevent future wars.  Bono's point of view saves lives and may cost less in the long run because it may prevent costly future wars.  Its a win, win.  Bono is quite the salesman.

I love the point where Bono describes one hospital he visited before help and again after help. At least in this hospital, entire families are no longer huddled on one bed waiting to die!!! 

So, lets talk about what creates peace....  What I believe Bono is saying is that parts of Africa are unstable because of extreme poverty and AIDS.  These areas are extremely vulnerable to terroroists coming in and setting up camp.  One of Bono's "selling" points is if the wealthy countries help African's get back on their feet, it would help prevent future wars.  Bono's point of view saves lives and may cost less in the long run because it may prevent costly future wars.  Its a win, win.  Bono is quite the salesman.

I love the point where Bono describes one hospital he visited before help and again after help. At least in this hospital, entire families are no longer huddled on one bed waiting to die!!! 

1love, yes that's what he's saying and has been saying all along.

I listened to the interview many times and I agree what you are saying, his motivation is sincere. Still I don't agree with him doing Bush propaganda. And talking about militars, military presence like something necessary, well, not my kind of thinking, but  well, I still respect him for all he has done which I think is a lot and not easy.
Thanks for your comment 1love

• 2 weeks later...

I donated to ten charities .......... in 2010 wow.

Inspired by U2's love, Michael Jackson King of Pop twice inducted in All U2 again?

It's Not just a committee to this one band if someone is inducted twice thats not just someone's opinion or vote

these guys are professional.

Sorry seventh, I don't get to understand what you are saying. Can you explain a litle more to this argentinian spanish-speaker woman ?

You're forgetting a lot of recent history; the US (and allies, e.g., the UK, Saudia Arabia, and others) have a long history of funding and supporting armed groups in Africa.  Call them "terrorists," or, more correctly, counter-gangs.   Or proxy armies. Groups like UNITA in Angola, or RENAMO in Mozambique.  Overt, covert, passive, active, or diplomatic; the "West" sowed a lot of death and terror in Africa in the name of the Cold War.  (Yes, the USSR and China also also did a lot of damage to Africa, so they're not off the hook here, but over here in the West end of things, we're coached to forget a lot of history and repeat nonsense lines like "No one died in the Cold War!") 

I was reading about Mozambique not so long ago; the writer noted that RENAMO targetted schools and medical facilities as key "soft" targets, effectively destroying most of the country's educational and medical resources.  RENAMO also crippled key transit routes--there aren't many in Africa in the first place--cutting off Mozambique's ports from the interior, not just of their own country, but the landlocked countries to the west (Malawi, Zambia) also lost access to the ports.  Result:  Economic ruin throughout the region. Add to this civilian casualties, people fleeing from the fighting, damage to the agricultural sector. 

So, naturally, by the time the Cold War finally shuddered to an end, Mozambique was a wreck--thanks in no small part to US aid for the "freedom fighters" in RENAMO.  Repeat this right across the continent. Then saddle all the damaged countries with huge loans from the IMF/World Bank et al, supposedly to rebuild infrastructure...which was done in by the West's "freedom fighters" in the first place!  

Of course, not only Africa suffered:  the US (+ buddies) was aggressively funding/supporting right wing and/or religious armed groups in Central America (remember the contras?) and Afghanistan as well.  Yes, Osama bin Laden was one of our "freedom fighters" over there.  And let's not forget that, earlier, the wars in Korea and Vietnam were, at their core, just proxy battles with China. 

People who are poor or sick (or poor and sick) aren't going to join up with the likes of Al Qaeda.  Don't forget, AQ and their ilk represent the wealthy (their own wealth, and that of Saudia Arabia, Pakistan, etc.).  Most of their recruits are middle class, educated, etc. Not a lot of starving peasants in their ranks, and I doubt they'd want them around in large numbers.  Countries like Pakistan, Saudia Arabia and England--yes, England--have been more fertile recruiting grounds for them than all of Africa. So why the paranoia about Africa?  Is the only justification for aid to Africa supposed to be military/strategic?  Wasn't that all a big part of why the place is such a problem now? 

Oh, and let's not fall into the trap that Afghanistan is "good" war, but Iraq was a "bad" war.  We're just talking about different flavors of badness here--both wars were ill-advised and doomed to failure. Don't waste time thinking that the Afghanistan war would have succeeded if resources had not been diverted to Iraq; it would only have meant that Afghanistan would have become an even more expensive boondoggle. A 'win' in Afghanistan would require a US invasion/occupation of Pakistan, btw, and what a lovely scenario that would be!  (Even if India didn't get dragged into it...we're talking about nuclear states all 'round in this scenario.) 

-- eaplatt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

[quote name='eaplatt wrote:

1love']"I don't want to talk about wars between nations...  Not right now!"

So, lets talk about what creates peace....  What I believe Bono is saying is that parts of Africa are unstable because of extreme poverty and AIDS.  These areas are extremely vulnerable to terrorists coming in and setting up camp.  One of Bono's "selling" points is if the wealthy countries help African's get back on their feet, it would help prevent future wars.  Bono's point of view saves lives and may cost less in the long run because it may prevent costly future wars.  Its a win, win.  Bono is quite the salesman.

You're forgetting a lot of recent history; the US (and allies, e.g., the UK, Saudia Arabia, and others) have a long history of funding and supporting armed groups in Africa.  Call them "terrorists," or, more correctly, counter-gangs.   Or proxy armies. Groups like UNITA in Angola, or RENAMO in Mozambique.  Overt, covert, passive, active, or diplomatic; the "West" sowed a lot of death and terror in Africa in the name of the Cold War.  (Yes, the USSR and China also also did a lot of damage to Africa, so they're not off the hook here, but over here in the West end of things, we're coached to forget a lot of history and repeat nonsense lines like "No one died in the Cold War!") 

I was reading about Mozambique not so long ago; the writer noted that RENAMO targetted schools and medical facilities as key "soft" targets, effectively destroying most of the country's educational and medical resources.  RENAMO also crippled key transit routes--there aren't many in Africa in the first place--cutting off Mozambique's ports from the interior, not just of their own country, but the landlocked countries to the west (Malawi, Zambia) also lost access to the ports.  Result:  Economic ruin throughout the region. Add to this civilian casualties, people fleeing from the fighting, damage to the agricultural sector. 

So, naturally, by the time the Cold War finally shuddered to an end, Mozambique was a wreck--thanks in no small part to US aid for the "freedom fighters" in RENAMO.  Repeat this right across the continent. Then saddle all the damaged countries with huge loans from the IMF/World Bank et al, supposedly to rebuild infrastructure...which was done in by the West's "freedom fighters" in the first place!  

Of course, not only Africa suffered:  the US (+ buddies) was aggressively funding/supporting right wing and/or religious armed groups in Central America (remember the contras?) and Afghanistan as well.  Yes, Osama bin Laden was one of our "freedom fighters" over there.  And let's not forget that, earlier, the wars in Korea and Vietnam were, at their core, just proxy battles with China. 

People who are poor or sick (or poor and sick) aren't going to join up with the likes of Al Qaeda.  Don't forget, AQ and their ilk represent the wealthy (their own wealth, and that of Saudia Arabia, Pakistan, etc.).  Most of their recruits are middle class, educated, etc. Not a lot of starving peasants in their ranks, and I doubt they'd want them around in large numbers.  Countries like Pakistan, Saudia Arabia and England--yes, England--have been more fertile recruiting grounds for them than all of Africa. So why the paranoia about Africa?  Is the only justification for aid to Africa supposed to be military/strategic?  Wasn't that all a big part of why the place is such a problem now? 

Oh, and let's not fall into the trap that Afghanistan is "good" war, but Iraq was a "bad" war.  We're just talking about different flavors of badness here--both wars were ill-advised and doomed to failure. Don't waste time thinking that the Afghanistan war would have succeeded if resources had not been diverted to Iraq; it would only have meant that Afghanistan would have become an even more expensive boondoggle. A 'win' in Afghanistan would require a US invasion/occupation of Pakistan, btw, and what a lovely scenario that would be!  (Even if India didn't get dragged into it...we're talking about nuclear states all 'round in this scenario.) 

-- eaplatt

I haven't forgotten history and I don't necessarily agree with your interpretation of it.  The Iraq war was not a failure.  You sound like Harry Reid.  Al Qaeda did take advantage of poor states with weak governments.  Why do you think they set up camp in Afghanistan?  Bono says the same thing will happen in Africa if we do nothing and allow the entire Continent to go up in flames.  Do you disagree with Bono?  I agree with you that war sucks.  But I choose to focus on the positive.  I thought the interview was a good positive interview, where Bono points out the good in us.  Do you have any comments about the interview?