Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edgeforpeace

Free Assange

The bin Laden family severed ties with Osama many years before 9/11.
This is like saying you should be held responsible for a murder committed by a brother who has been estranged and separate from the family for a decade or more.  That would be silly, no?

Totally agree with you on this. You are so very eloquent and such a great writer. Very well said.

Illogical and absurd arguments need to be ironed out, piece by piece, to reveal the truth about what they are really saying. If it were not for your clarity, on these issues security, so much on this board could get confusing and convoluted.

You have a great mind, which I admire.

I think it entirely possible for you to pass the LSAT.

I'm all for transparency in government. But when you start releasing lists of sensitive sites and interfering with our diplomatic corps' ability to do it's job, you've crossed the line. There are certain things that are kept confidential for a reason. As long as there is a LEGITIMATE national security reason for things to be kept confidential, I'm OK with that.

Hi, Spicy.

I just wish tothank you for the very nice words you offered to me earlier in the thread. I am sorry I have been away from the site and had not read them beforenow. This last week has kept me deeply buried in all of the final work neededto get my start-up and website off the ground in the New Year.  What a lotof work it is!  But fun :-)

I am not sure ifI have a "great mind,†but I do try very hard to find and maintainclarity.  This is especially difficult when so many are doing so much tomuddy the waters so utterly.

This past week, Ihave gone to listen to all sorts of people here in DC talk about the impact ofwiki leaks on their work--I have heard from members of the State Department,the military and intelligence circles, lawmakers on the Hill, and protestvoices such as Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers during theVietnam War and has come out in support of Assange.

With theexception of Ellsberg, the overwhelming sentiment that I am hearing and sensingis one of terrible loss and regret--not because the wiki leaks have exposedterrible wrong-doings on the part of the US government.  In fact, theyhave done quite the opposite.  Our diplomats appear in the cables to bevery smart, dedicated and passionate individuals who truly do believe in humanrights and democracy and are operating without cynicism--perhaps with even abit too much naïveté.  There is no great blob on the face of America as theresult of Assange’s shit-slinging.

But, leaders inother countries are not faring as well, and there has been great fall-out forsome of them among their own populations.  And, the ability to conductdiplomacy has been forever changed.  And, rather than resulting in MORE transparency,Assange is forcing the government to become less transparent and lesseffective.

For example: Washingtonis notoriously slow and constantly lagging behind nearly every trend of note. This is because government systems are huge sluggish bureaucratic beaststhat cannot react quickly.  Now governments around the world may have tolimit how they communicate across their global networks by relying less ondigital technologies.  How does anyone expect any government to keep pacewith threats and opportunities if it is forced to communicate by fax machineand courier in order to maintain confidentiality?

And, all of thework that went into improving transparency and increasing information sharingacross the US government after 9/11, will  be rolled back somewhat out ofnecessity-- meaning, there will be less information sharing between agencies andless efficiency in government action.  I will remind everyone that all ofthe evidence pointing to 9/11 was in the system, but nobody was sharing thatinformation between agencies, so the plot slipped past unnoticed.  

And, lessgovernment activity will be committed to print at all now—out of necessity—which means we will not have a full  historical record of our decision-making.  Does thissound like a good idea to anyone?

American individualswere the least damaged by this leak.  However, individuals from othernations suffered much more.  And some of those from more lawless areas ofthe world may come looking for Assange and his followers themselves.  Theterrible irony here is that if any of them "catch" him, histhoughtless supporters will undoubtedly blame the US and think we are responsible.  In fact, Assange will be lucky if he ends up protected within the safetyof an American jail.

Hi, Spicy.

I just wish tothank you for the very nice words you offered to me earlier in the thread. I am sorry I have been away from the site and had not read them beforenow. This last week has kept me deeply buried in all of the final work neededto get my start-up and website off the ground in the New Year.  What a lotof work it is!  But fun :-)

I am not sure ifI have a "great mind,†but I do try very hard to find and maintainclarity.  This is especially difficult when so many are doing so much tomuddy the waters so utterly.

This past week, Ihave gone to listen to all sorts of people here in DC talk about the impact ofwiki leaks on their work--I have heard from members of the State Department,the military and intelligence circles, lawmakers on the Hill, and protestvoices such as Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers during theVietnam War and has come out in support of Assange.

With theexception of Ellsberg, the overwhelming sentiment that I am hearing and sensingis one of terrible loss and regret--not because the wiki leaks have exposedterrible wrong-doings on the part of the US government.  In fact, theyhave done quite the opposite.  Our diplomats appear in the cables to bevery smart, dedicated and passionate individuals who truly do believe in humanrights and democracy and are operating without cynicism--perhaps with even abit too much naïveté.  There is no great blob on the face of America as theresult of Assange’s shit-slinging.

But, leaders inother countries are not faring as well, and there has been great fall-out forsome of them among their own populations.  And, the ability to conductdiplomacy has been forever changed.  And, rather than resulting in MORE transparency,Assange is forcing the government to become less transparent and lesseffective.

For example: Washingtonis notoriously slow and constantly lagging behind nearly every trend of note. This is because government systems are huge sluggish bureaucratic beaststhat cannot react quickly.  Now governments around the world may have tolimit how they communicate across their global networks by relying less ondigital technologies.  How does anyone expect any government to keep pacewith threats and opportunities if it is forced to communicate by fax machineand courier in order to maintain confidentiality?

And, all of thework that went into improving transparency and increasing information sharingacross the US government after 9/11, will  be rolled back somewhat out ofnecessity-- meaning, there will be less information sharing between agencies andless efficiency in government action.  I will remind everyone that all ofthe evidence pointing to 9/11 was in the system, but nobody was sharing thatinformation between agencies, so the plot slipped past unnoticed.  

And, lessgovernment activity will be committed to print at all now—out of necessity—which means we will not have a full  historical record of our decision-making.  Does thissound like a good idea to anyone?

American individualswere the least damaged by this leak.  However, individuals from othernations suffered much more.  And some of those from more lawless areas ofthe world may come looking for Assange and his followers themselves.  Theterrible irony here is that if any of them "catch" him, histhoughtless supporters will undoubtedly blame the US and think we are responsible.  In fact, Assange will be lucky if he ends up protected within the safetyof an American jail.

Hi, Spicy.

Avaaz.org petition WikiLeaks: Stop the crackdown http://www.avaaz.org/en/w...ion/?cl=858334606&v=7769

Law experts say WikiLeaks in the clear (ABC)

http://www.abc.net.au/wor...ontent/2010/s3086781.htm

WikiLeaks are a bunch of terrorists, says leading U.S. congressman (Mail Online)

http://www.dailymail.co.u...gressman-Peter-King.html

Cyber guerrillas can help US (Financial Times)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0...ab49a.html#axzz17QvQ4Ht5

Amazon drops WikiLeaks under political pressure (Yahoo)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...twikileakscongressamazon

"WikiLeaks avenged by hacktivists" (PC World):

http://www.pcworld.com/bu...nged_by_hacktivists.html

US Gov shows true control over Internet with WikiLeaks containment (Tippett.org)

http://www.tippett.org/20...h-wikileaks-containment/

US embassy cables culprit should be executed, says Mike Huckabee (The Guardian)

http://www.guardian.co.uk...s-executed-mike-huckabee

WikiLeaks ditched by MasterCard, Visa. Who's next? (The Christian Science Monitor)

http://www.csmonitor.com/...terCard-Visa.-Who-s-next

Assange's Interpol Warrant Is for Having Sex Without a Condom (The Slatest)

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2276690/

The loud-mouthed fanatics among some of the US political personalities who are calling for Assange's assassination, are way off base and need to shut-up. They are doing just as much damage with this sort of radical rhetoric. I hate spotlight-grabbing fanatical hype freaks. And they exist on all sides. Blech.

The loud-mouthed fanatics among some of the US political personalities who are calling for Assange's assassination, are way off base and need to shut-up. They are doing just as much damage with this sort of radical rhetoric. I hate spotlight-grabbing fanatical hype freaks. And they exist on all sides. Blech.

[quote name='surrenders wrote:

Panth']It's no worse than the news media outlying all the plans and locations of military and the plans in the event of attacks on global news where anyone can watch it.

At least Assange is being honest about doing that. He's a real life Bond villian.

Give me a F***ing break!  Do your homework!

This is the kind of post I won't respond to.

Well 'cept for this.