my (little) home town.

barbara1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Sint-Truiden.GIF

in the west you see the north-sea, which seperates us from UK. in the north our neighbour the netherlands, in the east we have germany and luxemburg and in the south france.
the red line in the middle of our country separates the dutch from the french speaking part. you see my town is closest to germany and very close to the frenchspeaking part.

• Subscriber

I only ask because I think I am a little language envious....  bored.gif.  Here in the U.S. we are not exposed to different languages (at least we weren't as children, now I'm around many people who speak Spanish)...  and I so regret not learning another language in school.... I'm trying to pick up a little Spanish...  but it is slow going! 

• Subscriber

markt.jpg

this is our marketplace, my parents house is 2 blocks away. so as a kid i walked here every day.
the yellow building is the main church of this town. the orange building is our city-hall (which for some ridiculous reason got painted orange some years ago....mad.gif)
you see a third tower in the left, it doesnt have a peak anymore, cause there was a fire more then 30 years ago, and they renovated the tower but made a secured platform at the top where you can enjoy the view over the town.
the marketplace is surrounded with pubs and tearooms.

IMG_6654.JPG 

our region is known for his fruit, apples, pears, cherishes, strawberries. so in springtime when all the trees are blossoming tourists from all over the country and neighbour-countries come to admire the 'snowy' orchards. you can rent vespa's to make a beautiful trip around the farms and orchards.

• Subscriber

hi nikki! thanx for paying a visit to my town, lol! we speak dutch, like the entire upper part of the country. but we learn french in school starting at 5th grade elementaryschool: 10year olds. most kids however hate these classes. but as an adult most of us feel sorry we didnt pay more attention in school. our dialect has lots of 'french' words. the more you go to the east, the more german words you find in the dialects.