What Do You Eat On Christmas?

kerttuli

• Subscriber

I'm interested to know, what do you eat on Christmas? What's the "tradition" food in your country or in your family?

In Finland - or at least in my family we eat different kind of root vegetable casseroles. We have carrot-, sweet potato- and swede root casserole. Then we eat a lot of fish - smoked salmon and whitefish, gravlax and roe with onion and sour cream for example. And we have mushroom salad, what is one of my favourites.

Most of the Finns eat christmas ham. We don't have ham but we have turkey - not the same kind than "thanksgiving turkey" but kind of turkeyroll.

Rosolli is one of our tradition christmas food too - I don't know if there is an english name for it...? It's a salad with onion, pickled cucumber, red beet, peas and dressning. 

And then as a dessert we eat a lot of chocolate of course... maybe also some gingerbread or plum pie.

I would be happy to hear how is your Christmas menu likesmile.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds good to me kertulli and surrenders!!

In the northern united states, we often celebrate the season starting before thanksgiving and running until about january2nd.....with lots of traditional cooking and baking...to keep the oven and/or stove top on and the home warm.....

so regulars at my home are roast turkey, baked ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, home made cranberry

relish, zhivvy's special cranberry-apple pie, (thanks zhivvy!), green bean casserole, quick breads of all kinds, large

navel oranges, whole walnuts in baskets just waiting to be cracked open and eaten, homemade and decorated

christmas cookies, home made egg nog and also homemade spiced cider simmering in the slow cooker....

cheese and crackers, olives, fresh fruit like pineapple chunks and grapes, cantelope and bananas....

homemade cheesecakes, christmas cakes, biscuits, homemade chicken noodle soup, chillie, shepherds pie, etc....

and lots of fresh brewed coffee....right now, My home smells like cinnamon coffee....yummmm....

• Subscriber

in belgium ? lets see. when i was little and we all went to my grnadmother for xmas-eve, it was a creamy soup, a roast with mushroom-sauce , salad, fried potato-croquettes and an ice-dessert. or something along the line, little variation each year.

but last few years belgians like the fun-cooking. and you have to order stuff in time in supermarket, butcher...
we're planning on fun-cooking too. kids love it, and us too. you have plenty of time to sit, eat, talk, laugh, enjoy.

• Subscriber

Glad you still use the apple/cranberry pie recipe Spicy - it is a good one!

In England it is turkey (for the meat eaters) but other birds such as duck or goose is becomming popular too.

mainly - roast turkey with stuffing, little sausages wrapped in bacon, roasted potatoes and parsnips, carrots (i have them mashed with swede or turnip) cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes, always need sprouts (bleuuurgh) and gravy.

Desserts would be things like Christmas pudding, chocolate log (made one the other week will post a pic later), apple pie etc... with either cream ice cream or custard. Also christmas cake - heavy fruit cake covered in marzipan and icing. And mince pies - made with sweet mince meat

And you need to have your christmas crackers too so you can pull them and wear the hat inside!

• Subscriber

Glad you still use the apple/cranberry pie recipe Spicy - it is a good one!

In England it is turkey (for the meat eaters) but other birds such as duck or goose is becomming popular too.

mainly - roast turkey with stuffing, little sausages wrapped in bacon, roasted potatoes and parsnips, carrots (i have them mashed with swede or turnip) cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes, always need sprouts (bleuuurgh) and gravy.

Desserts would be things like Christmas pudding, chocolate log (made one the other week will post a pic later), apple pie etc... with either cream ice cream or custard. Also christmas cake - heavy fruit cake covered in marzipan and icing. And mince pies - made with sweet mince meat

And you need to have your christmas crackers too so you can pull them and wear the hat inside!

never realised there were hats inside?!

On Christmas eve, we usually have soap and sandwiches, but on Christmas Day Prime rib is on the menu along with the usual holiday trimmings.

This year, I'm thinking about making cupcakes to celebrate Christ's birth,but the catch is before the candles on them are blown out, the participant has to make a wish that benefits someone else.

• Subscriber

In our family, we do different things each year. More often than not, we have some sort of beef - prime rib, roast beef. One year we had pasta, and another year we made different types of soups. There was even a year where we had Chinese take-out. 

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Zhivvy']Glad you still use the apple/cranberry pie recipe Spicy - it is a good one!

never realised there were hats inside?!

yes the crackers open with a bang, and inside is a hat, a riddle, a small gift. I will explain the symbolism of it all later when brain works lol!