What Do You Eat On Christmas?

kerttuli

• Subscriber

In the UK I had one meal all day at noon:- roast turkey, roast vegetables (parsnips, carrots, potatoes), boiled brussel sprouts, stuffing, small sausages and small sausages wrapped in bacon (called pigs in blankets) and gravy. Followed by chocolate cheese cake (I don't like traditional christmas pudding).

Didn't eat anything on boxing day other than a can of tomato soup and a bowl of leftover cold brussel sprouts - yum =0)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

kerttuli']Thanks for your comments, it's so nice to know how different kind of christmas food we have... (and i think that maybe in Finland the certain Christmas food is more important tradition than in some other countries)

I like our christmas food but now i've had enough of it and want some spicy chinese food today!!!
smile.gif

kerttuli, totally understand how you feel! I've had enough of the traditional food for now, and I tell ya, i think I'm gonna go chineese right about now!!!

thank goodness for chineese take out--I mean, what would we do without this??

I think sweet and sour chicken will be good!!

what did you have?

i think it would be funny if we all ordeered chineese today!!!smile.gif I've eaten sushi with sticks and it goes somehow but for example chinese withs sticks would be too difficult for me, lol... but i guess in China there is no options to chopsticks, or is there Zhiv...?

• Subscriber

[quote name='kerttuli wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

xtraspicy62 wrote:

kerttuli']Thanks for your comments, it's so nice to know how different kind of christmas food we have... (and i think that maybe in Finland the certain Christmas food is more important tradition than in some other countries)

I like our christmas food but now i've had enough of it and want some spicy chinese food today!!!
smile.gif

kerttuli, totally understand how you feel! I've had enough of the traditional food for now, and I tell ya, i think I'm gonna go chineese right about now!!!

thank goodness for chineese take out--I mean, what would we do without this??

I think sweet and sour chicken will be good!!

what did you have?

i think it would be funny if we all ordeered chineese today!!!smile.gif I've eaten sushi with sticks and it goes somehow but for example chinese withs sticks would be too difficult for me, lol... but i guess in China there is no options to chopsticks, or is there Zhiv...?

We only ever had chopsticks - everywhere we went - or spoons if we had soup but that was it.

And you get used to them pretty quickly.

The rice over there is more sticky that what we are used to so stays on chopsticks easier lol!

And all the main dishes are in smaller pieces so no need to cut.

The food over there is delicious - different to what we are used too. But have to say that as a veggie it was very hard. They have an abundance of great veg but it is cooked with meat - all the sauces are made with meat stock. I ordered vegetable dishes but sometimes that just meant that it had more veg than meat in it! I spent a lot of time eating around meat and didn't think about the origins of the stock that made it.

Unless you went to a Buddist place to eat which we did in Shanghai - everything was made to resemble meat but no meat used and what a meal we had. Even hubby who is a devout carnivore loved it - and each dish was so cheap too.

Pak Choi became a staple for me with mushrooms and the herbs they cooked it with made it so special.

I am a fan of bean curd (tofu) and it is very popular in the areas we were in; stewed, fried etc... but would never recommend the soured version - not good at all!!!!

Hubby tried lots of different foods too. but it is not all snake, dog, tiget and panda which people think lol!!! The meat is mainly beef, pork, chicken and lamb - pretty much the same as everywhere else. but they do use every bit of the animal. two popular starters are chicken feet (sounds horrible when someone is on the next table sucking away at them!) and duck tongue - surely there can't be much meat on that lol!!!

But I never saw prawn crackers the whole time i was there or fortune cookies - strange!

• Subscriber

i love chines and thai and japanese food. and i only use chopsticks. my love only uses fork, but this type of food for me never tastes good with fork. like u say, kert, the chopsticks make u eat slower and taste everything better. cause i'm a fast eater (too fast, i know, but cant help it) and this way is better for me.