Harbin ice and snow festival

Zhivvy

• Subscriber

In the north east of China there is a city called Harbin. And since 1985 every January they hold a festival of snow and ice. The ice sculpturers don't just make beautiful icer statues but creat a whole ice town. In the day it is magical white winterwonderland but by night it is lit with hundreds of lights of all colours.

It is beautiful to see. I saw this on TV and thought you'd all like to see how amazing this is too!

And if anyone can get this to embed for me please do as i seem to be having problems doing that at the moment.

• Subscriber

It really is spectacular - wonder how long it took to create? Yes, more care into their products and eliminate prison labor would be spectacular as well.
I know what you and Surrenders both mean.

The human rights record in China is horrendous and it made me worried about going there a few years back. (not to this place with the ice though) But the people there were some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met. It is just such a pity that those higher up the ranks in government etc... have to behave in the way that they do opressing their citizens.

• Subscriber

I've heard that about the "regular" Chinese citizens too, especially in the little towns and villages - it's the government that is the problem, no doubt.
Certainly is  the government. And clips like this show how the general public spend their times and enjoy themselves etc....

One year I would love to fly over to see this for real

• Subscriber

Wow this looks amazing!!

In north Finland we have a huge snow/ ice castle, where is for example a hotel, restaurants, a church etc (all made of snow/ice). But of course it's a lot smaller than this whole ice town in Harbin. Would be great to see this for real!!