THE BATTLE OF HAITI

suee

Tomorrow a year ago the people of Haiti had there world turned upside down, and after watching the news how a year later how things have changed........in my mind I am sad seeing the people..mothers try and do their best for their children....men looking on try do their best for their family.The children with no parents try and live with very little.... Live still with no water, live in tents, what was building are still broken memories around them. Have they been forgotten, and the money that never got there........A year is a long time and time things looked a little better -NO -so much better for the people of HAITI . I have not forgotten you and my prayers and thought are with you

• Subscriber

With you on that one too - it seems so long ago and now forgotten.

There has been a lot of mentions of this on one.org, so the good news it work is still going on there but the bad news is this has been forgotten on the news etc.... when it should stil lbe forfront in our minds.

Here's a couple of articles i found on twitter about what has happened over the past year:

http://usa.wfp.org/photo-...ign=wfpusa-haiti-oneyear

http://savethechildren.ty...ti-earthquake-emergency/

(and well done on your post lol!)

Thank you for not forgetting. I am sitting out under the stars tonight looking up through my cocunut palms and I can't get the people of Haiti off my mind. First off they need to seed and plant and properly terrascape the hills and mountains with as many trees, fast growing like carrotwoods, strangler figs that take hold of anything and secure all these mountainsides before another huge disaster occurs. I still cannot comprehend that we are not mixing concrete non stop, but there is so much crap associated with fixing things down there. We were not able to help them in a year and they have lost their faith that it will ever be fixed. I honestly believed with all the money and the capablities of worldwide corporations that wells would be flowing everywhere, those companies that can take mud water and turn it into good water, why is there solar companies renewable resources keeping the lights on, why are the doctors waiting on meds that are stockpiled in warehouses. It's almost like the UN has to take over the entire country, and I dont think they are capable, because the logistics that is on the ground there is a huge disaster and people are suffering, dying, starving, no homes, no bathrooms, and no beds, and that is just wacked. There is not one person in charge that handles everything, then what stuff does start getting fixed and goes up is stolen. We have failed miserably when it comes to Haiti, OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I pray someone takes charge instead of these little groups down there that are awaiting this or that approval. It could be so beautiful there, instead, I keep praying for the orphans, the elderly, everybody. So many were evacuated here to Florida then they are sent back to the land of misery and it breaks my heart!

Thank you for not forgetting. I am sitting out under the stars tonight looking up through my cocunut palms and I can't get the people of Haiti off my mind. First off they need to seed and plant and properly terrascape the hills and mountains with as many trees, fast growing like carrotwoods, strangler figs that take hold of anything and secure all these mountainsides before another huge disaster occurs. I still cannot comprehend that we are not mixing concrete non stop, but there is so much crap associated with fixing things down there. We were not able to help them in a year and they have lost their faith that it will ever be fixed. I honestly believed with all the money and the capablities of worldwide corporations that wells would be flowing everywhere, those companies that can take mud water and turn it into good water, why is there solar companies renewable resources keeping the lights on, why are the doctors waiting on meds that are stockpiled in warehouses. It's almost like the UN has to take over the entire country, and I dont think they are capable, because the logistics that is on the ground there is a huge disaster and people are suffering, dying, starving, no homes, no bathrooms, and no beds, and that is just wacked. There is not one person in charge that handles everything, then what stuff does start getting fixed and goes up is stolen. We have failed miserably when it comes to Haiti, OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I pray someone takes charge instead of these little groups down there that are awaiting this or that approval. It could be so beautiful there, instead, I keep praying for the orphans, the elderly, everybody. So many were evacuated here to Florida then they are sent back to the land of misery and it breaks my heart!

It sounds like you'd be perfect for the job, Wahine. smile.gif

I'm probably going to get slammed for this comment because my intention will likely be misconstrued.  While my heart goes out to all who suffer, I do not understand why the United States of America has more or less been designated as the caretaker of all other nations.  I am not saying we should not help; as global citizens we have and we do.  But tell me, in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, which countries came to aided us?  Which countries have jumped in to help the people of Australia during the current flooding they are experiencing?

Were it not for our current technology, which allows us to 'virtually' experience every catastrophe that occurs on this planet moments after they occur, and in many cases as they occur, your heart would not be breaking.  If you did not continue to look at that which distresses you, you would cease to be distressed.  If you lived in some remote place, without a television and the internet, these natural phenomena and their after math would not be part of your experience.

I would wonder why the news media infuses the airwaves with images of suffering.  That is, if I were distressed by it.

I can tell you I saw just the other day on the television an appeal from former Presidents Bush and Clinton regarding Haiti, and it was surprisingly positive.  So, I do no believe anyone has forgotten Haiti nor her people.

• Subscriber

i see you're question there: why does the world look towards usa for help in these situations? in my opinion, its like that cause american governement has made it that way for the last 100 years. they do act like the most important country. they decide to invase countries and start battles/wars when they think its apropriate.

they helped us getting rid of nazi germany, and many thanks for that. but ever since the states have pressed their stamp on each situation and i, along with other 'non-americans' we think:'well, if they wanna start wars around oil then let them use their capacity to help with this problem too.
and before you americans get insulted, thats my sarcastic side speaking. cause to be honest i think its a shared responsibility. we live in a place where few natural disasters occur, with prosperity and good living-conditions. thats why its our duty to try and help the less-fortunate. but we're not god, we cant solve everything, not even usa can. but fact is, we have all the technology, send people to the moon, into space and so on. i cant help but think: why don we use all that money to make life better on our planet? why do doctors/scientist have to beg for more money to research cancer , aids and other illness? why do the big countries feel its more worth it to put there money in spacetravels? invention of weapons? what if all that knowledge, money, technology would be used to help out people in need?
like the posters above say: there is money, enough, but our governments chose to use it for other purposes. and thats sad.
i see what you mean, wind, if it wasnt for all these technology and media, we wouldnt even know. but we DO. 'we' invented this technology, satellites, masts, the worldwideweb. so why don we use it for good, sacred goals?
i , for me, could do without a coffee-machine that can be plugged onto the internet, if it could save 1 aids-orphan. i don see the purpoes of another smartphone while people die from cancer, cause insurance doesnt cover their meds.
mankind has been dying from illnesses and disasters for aslong as it excists, but we made this species 'big' so when will we take on the responsibility that comes along with it?  

i see you're question there: why does the world look towards usa for help in these situations? in my opinion, its like that cause american governement has made it that way for the last 100 years. they do act like the most important country. they decide to invase countries and start battles/wars when they think its apropriate.
they helped us getting rid of nazi germany, and many thanks for that. but ever since the states have pressed their stamp on each situation and i, along with other 'non-americans' we think:'well, if they wanna start wars around oil then let them use their capacity to help with this problem too.
and before you americans get insulted, thats my sarcastic side speaking. cause to be honest i think its a shared responsibility. we live in a place where few natural disasters occur, with prosperity and good living-conditions. thats why its our duty to try and help the less-fortunate. but we're not god, we cant solve everything, not even usa can. but fact is, we have all the technology, send people to the moon, into space and so on. i cant help but think: why don we use all that money to make life better on our planet? why do doctors/scientist have to beg for more money to research cancer , aids and other illness? why do the big countries feel its more worth it to put there money in spacetravels? invention of weapons? what if all that knowledge, money, technology would be used to help out people in need?
like the posters above say: there is money, enough, but our governments chose to use it for other purposes. and thats sad.
i see what you mean, wind, if it wasnt for all these technology and media, we wouldnt even know. but we DO. 'we' invented this technology, satellites, masts, the worldwideweb. so why don we use it for good, sacred goals?
i , for me, could do without a coffee-machine that can be plugged onto the internet, if it could save 1 aids-orphan. i don see the purpoes of another smartphone while people die from cancer, cause insurance doesnt cover their meds.
mankind has been dying from illnesses and disasters for aslong as it excists, but we made this species 'big' so when will we take on the responsibility that comes along with it?  

I wasn't blowing you off, Barbara; I needed some time to think about what you said, so I could hopefully offer a lucid reply.

I would first like to point out that, unlike President Obama, I haven't been briefed on the current state of affairs of my country.  I really should look into that though, since I.Am.Erica. wink.gif  According to this site http://www.usdebtclock.org/ our deficit is enormous.  You have realize that the ups and downs of the world's financial markets, are manipulated.  Pretty much everything is manipulated; it's one of the methods governments use to control the masses.  It doesn't take much to incite panic.  And most of the world's population tends to base their reaction to situations by how their neighbors and co-workers are reacting.  People don't seem to want to think for themselves; it is apparently easier to do what they've always done.  Which of course will get them what they've always gotten.

People more often than not, will see something that disturbes them and with their next breath, they spread it, much like a virus, to whomever they come in contact with.  There's a thread right now on these boards that is a very good example of this.

I'm whooped, and need to get some sleep, so I will have to continue this later today.  But before I crawl to my bed,  I want to say, space exploration is very important to the continuing of all forms of life on this planet.

• Subscriber

but wind, isnt it ironic? why do we look for the answer in space, when its right here in front of us? i don see the importance of space-travel as long as people are dying here and could be helped if only more money would go to research and meds. if there's still money left afterwards, they can build as many rockets as they want.

but thats my opinion, so i can live with people not agreeing on this.
and what thread do you mean, wind?
and i can only agree bout the people not thinking for themselves. people want to follow a leader, religious, political,.... and sometimes thats good, cause we get inspired by them (jesus, MLK, ...) but it can also be indoctrination. if we allow ourself to put our own common sense aside.
sleep tide!tired.gif

• Subscriber

I think the world looks to the USA because we have a long history of sending help, the world knows that we have the will and the ability (maybe less ability in these hard economic times, but still more ability than some countries) . . . it was the USA that instituted the Marshall Plan when the rest of the world was calling for punishment, sometimes we get it right in spite of popular opinion arguing otherwise. Yep, sometimes we get it wrong too - it was largely inept state and local government that hindered Katrina aid. I am not sure about America acting like the most important country, but America did rise to "super power" status after WWII when Europe was never able to re-gain it's former strength. Prior to WWII I would say that Europe was the world "super power" and also went about starting whatever wars they felt like, many of them over economic issues (not oil, but other trade items including slaves). In fact, if you look at the history of world empires, many, if not most, wars have at their root some economic issue. The USA has entangled themselves in wars originally begun by European nations (Vietnam, for one and the first venture into Afghanistan - originally French and Russian ventures), so I don't think America is alone by any means in putting their stamp on the world. I think whatever the current superpower is (or in the future will be), does press their stamp upon the world to a degree whether rightly or wrongly, I just think it happens and probably cannot be avoided. And I often wonder if the next world "super power" (China, maybe?) will be as giving as Europe and America currently are? I hope so!