the experience of attending U2 live

My name isFlorin, I am a Doctoral student in Toronto, Canada. I wish to know yourthoughts and feelings, and to learn about the reasons you attend U2 liveperformances, about the kind of experience you are having while attending theirconcerts.

Let me knowhow was it, just go to: www.digitalvaluelab.com

I amgrateful for your willingness to participate in this study, where I work withcolleagues at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, and University ofInnsbruck in Austria. I hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Florin

LOL, the difference between attending the first tour War and the last one I saw was night and day difference. I find it strange when I look back at that first U2 show and remember where I was in my life. Good God, my first U2 show was 28 years ago this year! It was in Orlando, Florida.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I just wanted to thank to all of you who supported my study about the U2 experience!

It is now completed and I am very satisfied with its results, with the contribution I got from U2 fans. Findings of this study will be presented in September in Birmingham, at an international conference about the study of human subjectivity. Below is the abstract for this presentation:

Abstract: The consumption experience constitutes the fourth distinct economic offering (Pine & Gilmore, 1999). Live cultural performances offer a particular value proposition to consumers, but there is a need to re-think and re-design live performances from a trans-media perspective in which live offering are complemented with digital and interactive mediated offerings.

The live mediated and unmediated entertainment experience is the central phenomenon under observation in this Q study. We adopted Q-methodology to elicit, describe, and analyze the subjective viewer reactions and self-reports regarding perceived value and the nature of the entertainment experience of live cultural performances. To operationalize the concept of entertainment value, we used Holbrook's (1999) typology of consumer value. The value construct and the Q-instrument were administered to two groups who attended two kinds of live cultural performances: a) a traditional live rock concert delivered by a band such as U2 and The Rolling Stones, or a performer such as Joe Cocker; and B) the increasingly popular high definition (HD) broadcast of live performances from Metropolitan Opera in New York and from National Theatre in London.

Seventy-eight participants responded to an invitation to sort and rank order statements/phrases in the Q sample after attending a live cultural performance in the last few months. Most of these Q sorts were produced online, through a website specially created to conduct Q sorting interview as programmed with FlashQ. Results suggest that the entertainment value of a live rock concert can be of spiritual nature, in addition to yielding perception of aesthetic beauty and excellence in performance. Significantly, HD cinematic broadcast of live opera does not replicate the experience of being at the venue with the artists. Nevertheless, watching the famous Metropolitan Opera, live, in your hometown, at an affordable price, yields a positive consumption experience related to efficiency, or value for money – a key component of entertainment value for consumers of live mediated performances.

Thank you!

Florin