U2 plans summer concert in Moncton

Zhivvy

• Subscriber

The iconic rock band U2 will headline a music festival at Moncton's Magnetic Hill outdoor concert venue in the summer, sources have told CBC News.

Moncton's Magnetic Hill has attracted bands such as the Rolling Stones and AC/DC in the past.

Although the city won't confirm the band's involved in the summer festival, sources connected to U2 have confirmed to CBC News that the band will perform in Moncton.

Ian Fowler, the general manager of economic development, tourism and culture, said the city's staff is working hard to line up a strong summer concert season.

But Fowler would not confirm the speculation that U2 would be coming to Moncton.

"We are always very closely guarding what we say about who we are negotiating with. We will never tip our hand as to who or when or how, other than to say we have irons in the fire," Fowler said.

"We are hopeful in the not-too-distant future that some of that effort will turn into a contract that we can bring to council relative to putting something on Magnetic Hill this summer."

Concert promoter Donald K. Donald and Live Nation Global Touring will hold a news conference on Monday to announce details of the Magnetic Hill Music Festival for 2011. Live Nation is promoting U2's current world tour.

The Magnetic Hill concert venue has allowed the city to attract large crowds. It is estimated the Rolling Stones drew more than 78,000 people.

It is estimated that 70,000 people showed up to the AC/DC concert in 2009.

Some U2 fans are not waiting until the official concert announcement to begin making plans to see the legendary rock band.

Janice Currie, a Fredericton resident, said she's already booked her hotel room in Moncton for the last weekend in July.

"It wasn't easy finding hotels. It seems like most hotels have increased their prices and put some limitations for having to book for two nights instead of one so that was a flag that the rumour could be true," she said.

Hotels in Moncton say they've been getting a lot of inquiries and rooms are filling up fast, even though an official announcement is still days away.

• Subscriber

“The Moncton show is set to be the final date of the U2 360° Tour in North America and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time,†says U2’s manager Paul McGuinness.

I liked how he doesn't say the very final U2 360° Tour date.

• Subscriber

“The Moncton show is set to be the final date of the U2 360° Tour in North America and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time,†says U2’s manager Paul McGuinness.

me tooo!!!!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Why does U2 announce cities in piece meal? God, gone are the days when a complete tour was announced in it's entirety. Not that I'm planning to go this show or any others (except Chicago), but many people are. They pick a city as close to home for a show because there's none in close proximity to their homes. Then they announce another city, and another, and another and some are probably closer to peoples homes then the city they already bought tickets for because there was no show near their homes. Doesn't seem fair or smart. Logistics of tours should be planned out in advance. Or are they just waiting for a city to sell out before they announce more?

• Subscriber

[quote name='Zhivvy wrote:

agt']“The Moncton show is set to be
the final date of the U2 360° Tour in North America
and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time,†says U2’s manager Paul McGuinness.

me tooo!!!!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Attention, European fans (especially those in the British Isles), prepare for summer shows!!! happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='danielsentana wrote:

Zhivvy wrote:

agt']“The Moncton show is set to be
the final date of the U2 360° Tour in North America
and we're really looking forward to bringing this now legendary 360 production into Atlantic Canada for the first time,†says U2’s manager Paul McGuinness.

me tooo!!!!!!
laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Attention, European fans (especially those in the British Isles), prepare for summer shows!!! happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

I am prepared for everything lol!!!!! bring on those dates - I am ready!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif