DUALS: Official comment thread FREE SIDE (Merged)

• Subscriber

What an absolutely horrible collection. Most of these are album tracks or obtainable from other albums!! This just wreaks of gouging the hardcore fans. I'm really, truly disgusted by this.

I won't be renewing my U2.com account next year. This sucks.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

It's funny to me that Paul McGuiness preaches about how pirates are killing the music industry, like people who fileshare are super villains. What then do you call this garbage compilation? It's just robbery of a different kind where they're milking the fans for money, giving them something they've already paid for at a much higher price. Can you honestly tell me that someone who is a big enough fan to shell out $40-$50 a year doesn't already own 90-per-cent of this crap? I agree with those who say the most insulting part is the inclusion of tracks that are widely available on the band's studio albums... give me a break!

This is one of the first times I've felt a real disconnect between the band and its fans. I am sure they have nothing to do with this track selection but to allow such a thing to even happen shows a real lack of respect for those who put up with so much and give the band so much of their money for different things. It just amazes me that people who are so ahead of their time with technology for their live shows have yet to master their own website and the internet. It really makes them seem out of touch and unless there's a major about face with next year's subscription/renewal packages, I am not renewing my membership. It isn't worth the money just to have the "priveledge" of spending more on concert tickets first, all money that goes into their pockets anyway.

I am not one of those people who thinks a band owes them because "without us you wouldn't be anything." I am the sort of person who believes in getting their value's worth for the money they spend on a product though. With the cash and resources U2 has at their disposal, there is absolutely no reason other than greedyness or lazyness for them not to have a fan club comparable (if not better) than say Pearl Jam's.

Even an artist like Matthew Good (who is only well-known in Canada) charges only $25 for his fan club membership: He offers the same online perks as U2 (exclusive forums, a social media area where members can share content) but without the e-mail address and ability to write your own blogs -- and honestly, how many people would miss these if they were cut in return for a lower membership fee? He also offers exclusive access to a blog he writes in himself, he posted all demos he recorded before going into the studio to record his upcoming album and provided contests for meet & greets to a select amount of fans for his concerts. Oh and also forgot to mention the contests where he gave away his personal book of setlists (where he handwrote the setlists for every show on so many tours) and another contest where two different winners were allowed to go to the recording studio while he was recording his album... all this for $25.

It's not pirates that are ruining the music industry, Mr. McGuiness: It's cash grab tactics like this fan club and CD, ones that serve to highlight the greed of those in the industry and show their utter disrespect for fans who choose to support them. Bang up job guys!

Sorry for the rant but my issue lies with the fact that we aren't getting value for our money. If other people want to pay that much for so little, go ahead... I think it's disrespectful of them to ask for this from their fans though when so many of them are loyal and give them a lot more money than they have to outside of the fan club already.

P.S. If anyone has any doubt about fans being dissatisfied with this garbage compilation, visit fansite http://www.atu2.com/ That little poll on the frontpage asks fans what they think of the CD on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) and "0" is winning quite handily with 23-per-cent of the vote.

• Subscriber
It's funny to me that Paul McGuiness preaches about how pirates are killing the music industry, like people who fileshare are super villains. What then do you call this garbage compilation? It's just robbery of a different kind where they're milking the fans for money, giving them something they've already paid for at a much higher price. Can you honestly tell me that someone who is a big enough fan to shell out $40-$50 a year doesn't already own 90-per-cent of this crap? I agree with those who say the most insulting part is the inclusion of tracks that are widely available on the band's studio albums... give me a break!

This is one of the first times I've felt a real disconnect between the band and its fans. I am sure they have nothing to do with this track selection but to allow such a thing to even happen shows a real lack of respect for those who put up with so much and give the band so much of their money for different things. It just amazes me that people who are so ahead of their time with technology for their live shows have yet to master their own website and the internet. It really makes them seem out of touch and unless there's a major about face with next year's subscription/renewal packages, I am not renewing my membership. It isn't worth the money just to have the "priveledge" of spending more on concert tickets first, all money that goes into their pockets anyway.

I am not one of those people who thinks a band owes them because "without us you wouldn't be anything." I am the sort of person who believes in getting their value's worth for the money they spend on a product though. With the cash and resources U2 has at their disposal, there is absolutely no reason other than greedyness or lazyness for them not to have a fan club comparable (if not better) than say Pearl Jam's.

Even an artist like Matthew Good (who is only well-known in Canada) charges only $25 for his fan club membership: He offers the same online perks as U2 (exclusive forums, a social media area where members can share content) but without the e-mail address and ability to write your own blogs -- and honestly, how many people would miss these if they were cut in return for a lower membership fee? He also offers exclusive access to a blog he writes in himself, he posted all demos he recorded before going into the studio to record his upcoming album and provided contests for meet & greets to a select amount of fans for his concerts. Oh and also forgot to mention the contests where he gave away his personal book of setlists (where he handwrote the setlists for every show on so many tours) and another contest where two different winners were allowed to go to the recording studio while he was recording his album... all this for $25.

It's not pirates that are ruining the music industry, Mr. McGuiness: It's cash grab tactics like this fan club and CD, ones that serve to highlight the greed of those in the industry and show their utter disrespect for fans who choose to support them. Bang up job guys!

Sorry for the rant but my issue lies with the fact that we aren't getting value for our money. If other people want to pay that much for so little, go ahead... I think it's disrespectful of them to ask for this from their fans though when so many of them are loyal and give them a lot more money than they have to outside of the fan club already.

P.S. If anyone has any doubt about fans being dissatisfied with this garbage compilation, visit fansite http://www.atu2.com/ That little poll on the frontpage asks fans what they think of the CD on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) and "0" is winning quite handily with 23-per-cent of the vote.

great 1st post.. :)
  • Subscriber

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

ZooTV8']It's embarrassing for U2 and insulting to anyone who pays to subscribe to a fan club to include album versions of a song on an "exclusive content" CD. At least the past several "exclusive" U2.com records and CDs had at least 3-4 "previously" unheard remixes of less popular songs.

And, to add insult to what essentially amounts to Femoral Dysplasia, the album artwork is...? I'm frankly flattened, deflated even, by this entire package! Now there is ZERO benefit to $50.00 membership.

The only positive to come out of this announcement (read: overwhelmingly negative experience) is that U2.com kindly sent me a reminder yesterday that my membership will expire in 30 days I hate to, but after 21 years, I am NOT renewing my U2.com membership.

Dear www.ATU2.com, thank you for being better at representing U2 than U2. Where may I send you my $50.00?

Lance A. Schart

Chicago, IL USA

*Stands and applauds*

best post i've read anywhere for ages and spot on.

Thank you, Basher1.  I appreciate your kind words. 

I'm just so... in a funk now.  I feel betrayed by the band I've given so much money to since 1987, and yet torn that I'm giving up my 20-year membership.  I understand and blog about the music business -and it is a business- but am depressing by just how business-focused U2's fan club has become.  

• Subscriber

[quote name='bonosbaby25 wrote:

ludicrosity']

P.S. If anyone has any doubt about fans being dissatisfied with this garbage compilation, visit fansite
That little poll on the frontpage asks fans what they think of the CD on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) and "0" is winning quite handily with 23-per-cent of the vote.

great 1st post.. :)

Agree, well put...echoes my sentiments...I am seriously doubting why I'm going to any more shows..except that seeing friends from all over the world is actually MORE important to me than the U2 show itself.

Giving more of my hard earned cash to these gazillionaires is difficult....esp with the trouble with $$ in Ireland and who doesn't pay taxes there??..hmmmmmmmmmm

I go to shows more for the travel experience and the meet-ups than the show...you see one, you've seen them all...only a couple songs change at most...and yes..I do own all but I think one of those tracks forthcoming on Duals....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I subscibed back in August and still haven't received the album subsciption promised.

Does anyone know when we're supposed to get this new Duals album!

I'm not sure that a wait of nearly 6 months classifies as "Customer Service"