DUALS: Official comment thread FREE SIDE (Merged)

• Subscriber

Bash

There is a big featured post on the main part of the board, that says that we will be merging threads and will be more diligent about keeping the board more streamlined, so yes, everyone was advised, and it will continue.

If you feel that's censorship so be it, not going to argue with you. I call it putting things in their place.

Baja

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bash

There is a big featured post on the main part of the board, that says that we will be merging threads and will be more diligent about keeping the board more streamlined, so yes, everyone was advised, and it will continue.

If you feel that's censorship so be it, not going to argue with you. I call it putting things in their place.

Baja

B i am talking about a wee pm to say "hiya noodle yer threads been moved to such and such place so you can find it easier" instead of having a game of hunt the thread......tongue.gif
  • Subscriber

Do I feel they could step it up in the giveaway department? - Yes

Do I wish they would release live shows like PJ and many other bands do? - Yes

Did I just resubscribe? - Yes

Do I feel people like to just bitch about everything? - Yes

Do I think people should just vote with their wallets? - Yes

• Subscriber

To think I paid for this, yet another rip off from corporate U2. I spent 30 years growing up with this band, traveling around Europe to watch them,  buying countless albums, singles and other merchanidise. The remasted and best off albums were bad enough, but to be treated with contempt with this utter rubbish.

Spoilt, arrogant and increasing musically irreverent sum up U2 or Ireland’s biggest ‘Something Happens’ tribute band as they should rebrandthemselves. The game is up and no more.  They won’t miss me as a fan but they will missmy money.

Banacek
  • Subscriber

As a long-time Propaganda subscriber (since 1988), an early adopter of U2.com and an avid supporter of the "official" U2 fan club, I can agree with the sentiments posted in this official thread, as well as the general consensus that U2.com is not worth the price of membership as it currently stands. There are many problems with this *GIFT* CD, most of which have already mentioned by other fans in this thread. What I'd like add to this dialogue is the angst of a paying consumer who has seen her wallet be systematically bled of cash from this band, Live Nation, and Universal Music in general by the repackaging of old material consistently over the past decade or so.

I would challenge the management of the U2 fan club, as well as the band, to look at the demographic of the U2.com paid member. Those who are agreeing to shell out the cost of membership are those who want to officially associate themselves to you, and chances are, have been doing so for a reasonable amount of time. I would venture that once you eliminate those who bought into memberships just for presale tickets, you will find that those who are left are like myself - longtime supporters of the fan club and of anything U2 release in general. We have reasonable collections of U2's work in almost every format: vinyl, cassette, CD, DCC (remember the Phillips days?), laser disc, VHS, DVD, mp3, 3" CD, etc. Heck, some of us even have the elusive 8 track or two. We own the remasters, the box sets, and commemorative releases, rushing to pre-order as soon as the announcement was made of their release. We bought the U2 iPod and the Complete U2. We are the ones who have helped to support U2 at times when you could hear crickets at PopMart concerts in the Southern US (remember Tampa - only 20,000 tickets sold). We have been there and back.

What do the most loyal of fans get in return? We get an official note on U2.com back in 2005 from Larry telling us to FOAD. We get told that our renewal process is in a state of flux and to be patient, and in doing so we have nothing but problems with ticket codes and pre-sales. We are promised a better fan experience and thanked in concerts, but in reality the corporation U2 has entrusted their fans to have done nothing more than drive a deeper wedge between the band and their fans. We are now 6+ years into this new-and-improved fan club and what do we have to show for it?

So now, this "gift" that is classified as "free" is nothing more than a rehash of material that I have officially purchased along the way (with the exception of 2 or 3 tracks). This "free" gift cost me over $130 to obtain when the material was first released. "I'm Not Your Baby" is a B-side widely available on the Please single, as well as on O'Connor's own "Collaborations" album released in 2005.

Is it too much to ask that the official U2 fan club start acting like a real fan club should? We keep going back to Pearl Jam and R.E.M. - whose members and management are good friends of U2 and Principle Management. The corporate side of U2 is forgetting who got them there. In this relationship fans have with their artists, the U2 of old would never have it be an us vs. them, and yet as soon as they agreed to hand over control of these areas of their business and have given an air of removing themselves from the relational side of their official fan club, that is what it has turned into.

While the powers that be will only acknowledge the paid side of Zootopia for the general consensus of the fan reaction, I can assure you that there is great disappointment, angst, and a sense of "who do you take us for?" coming in the various other social media sites, fan-run forums, mail lists (yahoogroups and others). This sentiment runs deeper than this gift CD. This gift CD is the culmination of extreme frustration fans such as myself have about the overpriced fan club, what we really get out of it, and the elimination of that personal connection we once had back in the days of Propaganda, and even the original fan site on MSN where the band members would conduct online interviews and chats.

It is my choice to collect U2 items. It is my choice to be a supporter of the U2 brand. It is my choice to pay for membership to this fan club. So, to Live Nation folks who want to use the argument that no one is forcing you to do anything or to buy anything, you are correct. I can choose to take my business elsewhere, which from the sounds of it, many people are seriously contemplating at this time.

U2 fans know that this band has the ability to really offer their fans something far better. This Duals CD was advertised back in August - almost 6 months ago. You mean to tell me that after all this "planning," the best you could do was offer something off of Rattle and Hum?

Yours in frustration and disappointment.

I wish i'd wrote this,sums up my feelings in a rather large nutshell!smile.gif

• Subscriber

I have relayed ALL comments about DUALS to U2.com Management, both on Free and Paid sites - Baja

Cheers for this,so is my letter on hold then?????

and it would be nice if we could have some feedback in the form of an official statement if that's not too much to ask?wink.gif

Do I feel they could step it up in the giveaway department? - Yes

Do I wish they would release live shows like PJ and many other bands do? - Yes

Did I just resubscribe? - Yes

Do I feel people like to just bitch about everything? - Yes

Do I think people should just vote with their wallets? - Yes

It's not bitching. If you read what people are saying. As I said with paying cash to this site we have right to express our thoughts. I also said I don't normally complain about things, but there is no excuse for the poor tracklisting of duals.After all the money, time and supporting the band we love and they claim to love us back, this is like throwing a bucket on us.

• Subscriber

[quote name='basher1 wrote:

Bajagirl']Bash

Baja

B i am talking about a wee pm to say "hiya noodle yer threads been moved to such and such place so you can find it easier" instead of having a game of hunt the thread......tongue.gif

Oh, but then I would not have the enjoyment of seeing my favorite noodle run around roll.gif