The "I Met The Band" thread for the free side

AJthedreamer

• Subscriber

Our dear mod, Baja, requested stories of meeting the band, or near misses (such as my case is).

So if you have one, and you don't belong to the paid side, please, post them here!

As for my story, here it is:

Sunday, October 16th, 2005 was one of the best U2 shows I had ever seen, and one of the most memorable days for me.  It was the first time I was in GA, and I was lucky enough to get close to the outside portion of the elipse (it would have been cool if I was inside the elipse, but I wasn't picky...I was just so hyped to be there.).  In the months before going to this concert, I had made a drawing for the band, of an angel consoling someon.  I brought it with me that day, in hopes that I would meet them and give it to them.

Before we were let into the arena (Wachovia Center, in Philadelphia), myself and another zoo member, Sectionbgirl, were wondering around, and made it to the road that led into the venue's backstage.  As we were standing there, we were lucky enough to meet Mr. AJ Rankin, carpenter, Bono's "shadow", if you will, while he is on stage, and oh yeah...his cousin.  I stood there with my picture in my hand, and not saying much because I'm rather shy most of the time (this comes into play later in this story too).  AJ, who, by the way is a very kind and personable man, looks over at it and says "Wow, that's beautiful."

And there I was, like the dork I am at so many times, and I said, "Thanks...I made it for the band."
*Internal facepalm at that comment*

Another young girl stood there with us with a note for Bono, and he said that, even though he really wasn't supposed to, he would take it back to their dressing room for her.  She, very kindly, said about my picture, "She doesn't want it back either," because, as he told us, things that make it backstage rarely ever get returned to their owners.  And so, he took my picture backstage for the band (along with note a wrote to them).

Now, you may be wondering, what does this have to do with my near miss in meeting one of the band?  Well, a few days later that week after the show, Bono was speaking at the University of Pennsylvania.  I was lucky enough to get a ticket to his speech, but not the reception afterwards (I couldn't afford it.).  Now, I hate driving in traffic, so I decided that even though the event wasn't until later that night, I was going to show up as early as possible.  Would you believe I think I was the first one to show up? 

Well, it was quiet and a bit chilly, so I ducked into a coffee shop for something to drink and to warm up a bit.  When I returned to the theater, two more were waiting there, also zootops (librarylady and ValentinaB).  We stood there and waited, and did chat a bit, but there I was, again too shy to really say anything much. 

And then, it just happened.  Bono showed up in the customary black SUV, and after a few minutes talking with I am guessing security, he walked over to us, except it wasn't just us 3 anymore.  People had come out of the woodwork as soon as he showed up.  I froze.  My shyness and my nerves got the better of me, and I wound up just standing there as the group engulfed where I was standing in order to see Bono.  He signed a bunch of autographs, accepted some pretty cool gifts (including a silk scarf that had once belonged to Elvis), and then went into the theater to get ready...and I just stood there.  I saw Servo (another great zootop) right after it happened, and it was only after that that I unfroze from where I stood...but my chance was too late.

After the speech was over, I thought that maybe I could say something to him as he left the theater, so I made my way back to where he had entered.  Well, so did a LOT of other people.  The closest I got was to the front of the pack as his car drove away, and I got to wave at him, and called out "thank you."

He did wave back, but I'm pretty sure he didn't see me. 

And to this day, I kick myself for not saying anything...an oportunity missed...oh well, maybe I will be lucky enough to have another chance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

ok, i felt like a prize wally, it was the Beeb roof top gig.

but little did i figure it out until i made my way to the top of Regent street in London, trying to guess where the gig was going to be and i had given up.

so i trekked my way to the top of the road looking for a tube station and saw Loads of security people...

feck..it ,gig was at the copulating BBc headquarters...me massive Hommer simpson Doh moment.

decided like a few others to stay around in case of if the band came out, long wait, getting cold, people drifting away, Edge and Larry came out, signed a few autographs, but i was so far across the road i had no chance of photo opp or a sign this please mo.

one by one people left, cops said Bono had gone, but i had doubts, they can lie lol ;)

but others drifted away and i was getting tired, cold, hungry ect.

but as i walked away to a side entrance a car, a Nice car pulled up, in a flash a man the other side with a strange hat goes to the other side of the car, i was on the Wrong side... a man who was more wise to the occasion got Bono's autograph, Bono said no to piccy, does just one autograph and drives off, so close, but yet so far :(

one nice thing is i staid a tiny weeny bit longer and met Dallas, he was so nice as he and the crew were so busy, even had time to take a picture with a Limey= thanks Dallas :)

if i ever met Bono or the band i hope i would stay calm and dignified.

edit.

---------

ps. posted by here by mistake , had a bad time recently, work related, hope it's ok to post here as i am a paid subby.

will understand if my post gets moved.

• Subscriber

but little did i figure it out until i made my way to the top of Regent street in London, trying to guess where the gig was going to be and i had given up.

so i trekked my way to the top of the road looking for a tube station and saw Loads of security people...

feck..it ,gig was at the copulating BBc headquarters...me massive Hommer simpson Doh moment.

decided like a few others to stay around in case of if the band came out, long wait, getting cold, people drifting away, Edge and Larry came out, signed a few autographs, but i was so far across the road i had no chance of photo opp or a sign this please mo.

one by one people left, cops said Bono had gone, but i had doubts, they can lie lol ;)

but as i walked away to a side entrance a car, a Nice car pulled up, in a flash a man the other side with a strange hat goes to the other side of the car, i was on the Wrong side... a man who was more wise to the occasion got Bono's autograph, Bono said no to piccy, does just one autograph and drives off, so close, but yet so far :(

one nice thing is i staid a tiny weeny bit longer and met Dallas, he was so nice as he and the crew were so busy, even had time to take a picture with a Limey= thanks Dallas :)

edit.

---------

ps. posted by here by mistake , had a bad time recently, work related, hope it's ok to post here as i am a paid subby.

weird!

i met dallas in the bbc studio toilet before watching u2 play their set that day! he did wash his hands!

didnt stay for the rooftop set, as had to get home for the kids in cornwall!

• Community Moderator
(posted this down in the paid part, but thought the free Gens might want to read it to.)

After 20+ years of hoping that one day I would have an up close and personal experience with the band, 2009 turned out to be my year

It started in February while I was living in London for my hubby's job.  Word had gotten out that U2 were doing the rooftop gig at the BBC.  So, I spent a good portion of the day, hanging out with some other lovely Zootops and my dreams finally started coming true.  As we were hanging outside the studio for the Chris Evans show, the band arrived.  I was so excited because this was the first time that I had been in this type of situation. People were going crazy.  Bono, Edge, and Adam were stopping and signing autographs.  Edge came closer and closer and I was holding up my Boots single and yes! he grabbed it and signed it.  I said, "Thank you" and he said, "No Problem."  After they had all gone it and the crowd had dispersed, I burst into tears because I was so happy.

Edge signing my CD:
016-4.jpg

Fast forward to October 2009 in Raleigh.  Hoping that my BBC luck would continue, my friend and I got to the stadium early, hoping we could catch the members before the show.  Finding a little group of people, all with things they were hoping to have signed, we sat down and waited patiently with them.  About 30 minutes later, the band arrived.  Bono stuck his head out the window and said, "Be right back."  A few minutes later, he walked back out to see us.  He walked down the line, signing things, chatting and letting people take pictures.  He got to me, was literally right in front of me, like no more than 6 inches away.  I stared at him and handed him my CD.  I was in utter shock.  I could not believe that I was right there with him.  To this day, I'm still not sure if I actually said anything, but I'd like to think that I said, "Thank you."

Bono, right before he got to me:
U2Raleigh005.jpg

Three days later in Atlanta.  Not an actual meeting, but a moment I will never forget.  Since the beginning of the tour, knowing that Larry was walking the catwalk with his djembe, I wanted him to play it right in front of me.  Probably talked about it every other day on the Larry board.  Mind you, in the past I had been lucky enough to get a smile and a wave from him on the ZooTV tour in Birmingham, AL and made him laugh in New Orleans on the Popmart tour when my friend and I were doing a silly boom-cha dance by the b-stage.  But I really wanted him to play right in front of me.  Well, we did the normal camp out all day GA thing and managed to get on the outer rail,, slightly off center on Edge's side.  Crazy came on, I was looking, trying to see which side of the stage he was coming out on and it was Edge's.  There I was hoping and dancing and as he got closer, I just screamed, "Larry!" as loud as I could.  I'll let the picture tell the rest:

190-2.jpg

I had to get a picture and the funny thing is that I don't know how I got it.  I must've hit every wrong button before I actually pushed the right one.  It was like a dream come true.  There he was, playing right in front of me, just like I had hoped for.  And again, as he walked away, I just burst into tears because I was so happy.

I hope that I will have the chance to meet Bono and Edge again, and Larry and Adam, for a first time.  I would love to just be able to tell them face to face how much their music has meant to me.

• Community Moderator

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

clapton is god']

one by one people left, cops said Bono had gone, but i had doubts, they can lie lol
;)

but as i walked away to a side entrance a car, a Nice car pulled up, in a flash a man the other side with a strange hat goes to the other side of the car, i was on the Wrong side... a man who was more wise to the occasion got Bono's autograph, Bono said no to piccy, does just one autograph and drives off, so close, but yet so far
:(

one nice thing is i staid a tiny weeny bit longer and met Dallas, he was so nice as he and the crew were so busy, even had time to take a picture with a Limey= thanks Dallas
:)

edit.

---------

weird!

i met dallas in the bbc studio toilet before watching u2 play their set that day! he did wash his hands!

I would say you missed a good show, but you got them up close and personal in the studio.  Was nice to meet you when you guys came out.  Although the rooftop gig was awesome!

• Subscriber

[quote name='mich40 wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

clapton is god']ok, i felt like a prize wally, it was the Beeb roof top gig.

one by one people left, cops said Bono had gone, but i had doubts, they can lie lol
;)

but as i walked away to a side entrance a car, a Nice car pulled up, in a flash a man the other side with a strange hat goes to the other side of the car, i was on the Wrong side... a man who was more wise to the occasion got Bono's autograph, Bono said no to piccy, does just one autograph and drives off, so close, but yet so far
:(

one nice thing is i staid a tiny weeny bit longer and met Dallas, he was so nice as he and the crew were so busy, even had time to take a picture with a Limey= thanks Dallas
:)

edit.

---------

weird!

I would say you missed a good show, but you got them up close and personal in the studio.  Was nice to meet you when you guys came out.  Although the rooftop gig was awesome!

it looked it!

yeah was wicked to meet you lot too! was surreal too!