U2 rumoured new album news. May release in doubt? *with quotes*

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Say What? U2's Latest Comments About a New Album

Posted: February 14, 2011

By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

U2's latest comments about plans for a new album are both refreshingand mysterious at the same time. The band did a round of interviews onFriday in Johannesburg and, although the focus was on the 360 tour,talk eventually turned to the band's next album. During a dinner with ahandful of reporters that's recounted in the Mail & Guardian, both Edge and Adam spoke very reservedly about a new album:

There's also discussion about howJay-Z is getting really interested in rock and roll and about howimportant Chuck D was, and still is, about what it's like working withBrian Eno and Daniel Lanois, and about some work U2 has done withDangerMouse. "Will it be on a new album?" the journalists chorus."Maybe," shrugs Edge. "We'll see," says Adam Clayton.

While it might be easy to think the worse and assume there's no chance U2 will make the previously stated May album release target,I look at it this way: how refreshing that they're downplaying things,not overhyping and making grand statements. Meanwhile, Bono was alsotalking about new album(s) on Friday and, according to Billboard, managed to equate the process to breakfast cereal.

The Edge, who'd flown in from NewYork that morning, confirmed that the band was working on demos withDangermouse. He and Bono hinted that any new studio album was unlikelyto be packed with songs. "We were trying to write an album with 'NoLine On The Horizon' that had a kind of narrative and if I look back onit now, it's probably too long. Maybe just by one song or two," Bonosaid. "It's incredible that people think 'Oh gosh I can put 17 songs onthis' ... it's like more cornflakes in a better box."

I'm not quite sure what to make of that, frankly, but I think he's saying that the concept album that U2 was planning prior to No Line wasn't a good idea and is unlikely to be completed. Or maybe he was just hungry. And finally, RedOne (Lady Gaga's producer) spoke about his work with U2 during the Grammys on Sunday.

While that's where the Gaga talkbegan and ended, the super-producer was more forthcoming with detailsabout working with rock icons U2 on their next album. "I'm working withU2 and Bono and them. I'm a guitar player. I'm a musician," heexplained. "A lot of people think RedOne is a synth guy, but I'm aguitar player, I'm a singer and all of that."

RedOnesaid that while the band's next album will sound distinctly U2, herevealed that he and the guys are also putting a new-millennium spin onthe age-old formula. "I love producing. I love doing different styles,and with U2, it was like going back to when I was in a band, a rockband. The process is very special," he said. "It's a very uniqueprocess. It's futuristic, but it's still U2. U2 is U2."

We're pretty confident that RedOne is working on thedance/club-sounding album -- the one with will.i.am and David Guetta --and not the album that Danger Mouse is producing. That's what we'vereported on our new U2 album page for some time now.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEre's what I'll do. I"ll pre order Radiohead's new album, that I can already download this coming Saturday, even though it comes out in April.

And if May comes and goes and U2 doesn't have an album, at least Radiohead, who's worse with album news, has one coming.

I know I defend the band, but I have my limits, and we're coming to that limit.

• Subscriber

HEre's what I'll do. I"ll pre order Radiohead's new album, that I can already download this coming Saturday, even though it comes out in April.

And if May comes and goes and U2 doesn't have an album, at least Radiohead, who's worse with album news, has one coming.

yep, if the album doesnt come out, at least there is radiohead!

and the achtung remaster too probably out in november too..........happy.gif

out on saturday the new radiohead album is, MP3 and WAV download! wonder if they are now boycotting record and cd shops, amazon, play.com etc etc.............basically this will stop illegal downloading, risk of album being leaked etc etc.....

hold on! u2's manager anyone????

(would love u2 to release music off their own backs and avoid the cd shops etc etc, digital download only album)

would be nice!

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Panth']HEre's what I'll do. I"ll pre order Radiohead's new album, that I can already download this coming Saturday, even though it comes out in April.

and the achtung remaster too probably out in november too..........happy.gif

out on saturday the new radiohead album is, MP3 and WAV download! wonder if they are now boycotting record and cd shops, amazon, play.com etc etc.............basically this will stop illegal downloading, risk of album being leaked etc etc.....

(would love u2 to release music off their own backs and avoid the cd shops etc etc, digital download only album)

would be nice!

Yup. In fact if I really wanted ( I won't. I already blew 40 on Pearl Jam's fanclub, and another 50 on our anniversary yesterday) I could get Radiohead's awesome 40 dollar package that's worth more than 40.

U2 is big enough to succeed independent, so why do they need to be part of a record company?  Being with Island, or Livenation/Universal is totally unnecessary for a band like U2.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Panth wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Panth']HEre's what I'll do. I"ll pre order Radiohead's new album, that I can already download this coming Saturday, even though it comes out in April.

and the achtung remaster too probably out in november too..........
happy.gif

would be nice!

Yup. In fact if I really wanted ( I won't. I already blew 40 on Pearl Jam's fanclub, and another 50 on our anniversary yesterday) I could get Radiohead's awesome 40 dollar package that's worth more than 40.

U2 is big enough to succeed independent, so why do they need to be part of a record company?  Being with Island, or Livenation/Universal is totally unnecessary for a band like U2.

yep totally.

i was going to start another debate, livenation-the end of u2......................but it would be looked like bitching again!

i think the band is changing, its a shame really, i still love them, the music is still being made, just everything around u2 stinks. the buisness side, the way PM talks, where he is being overtaken in the buisness by other artists in terms of stopping piracy etc etc, when he should be looking into a way of getting u2 to move along with the times and think up something like the newspaper album, the pay as much as you want to play. OH mainly from radiohead!

i think the next album is u2's REAL last chance to hit the BIG time i would say. but saying that we still have another 8 or so years with livenation taking u2's soul! and selling out to blackbury, the nails in the coffin are there mate.

Btw, Radiohead's new CD, King of Limbs, comes out this Saturday 2/19, in the U.S. However, they're not doing the 'pay what you like' scheme.

If it's delayed, it might seem like this next U2 album might go the same route as HTDAAB...where it got delayed, and was reproduced coz they weren't happy with the first cuts of the new songs.

• Subscriber

"There will be a new album!!! In june/november/june/november/june/november/march/ eeehhhhmmmm sorry. No new album. We're busy delaying spiderman. We've got 5 albums ready, but we keep it for ourselves. Our fans are stupid, we can keep telling lies, they believe us, we're u2!!!!"

If this is the U2 I'm a fan of for almost 30 years. Then I quit immediately. What a soap! Release something. Look at Radiohead. They have the guts to release something after a very short, RELIABLE announcenemt.

Sorry for complaining. But at the moment I'm completely fed up with U2's lies.

BTW when will The AB remaster be released???

A very, very disappointed U2-fan

• Subscriber

"There will be a new album!!! In june/november/june/november/june/november/march/ eeehhhhmmmm sorry. No new album. We're busy delaying spiderman. We've got 5 albums ready, but we keep it for ourselves. Our fans are stupid, we can keep telling lies, they believe us, we're u2!!!!"

If this is the U2 I'm a fan of for almost 30 years. Then I quit immediately. What a soap! Release something. Look at Radiohead. They have the guts to release something after a very short, RELIABLE announcenemt.

I'm more disappointed by the lack of news in this site than in the boys themselves, actually. I understand that they don't want to position themselves in a fixed deadline when perhaps they're more busy with other stuff (ahem Spidey)...
This said, I feel that that they played North Star in Johannesburg, a city they hadn't visited in more than ten years, is a sign that they plan to release some new songs soon, but of course, not even Soon got released last time! laugh.giflaugh.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='danielsentana wrote:

cristiu2']"There will be a new album!!! In june/november/june/november/june/november/march/ eeehhhhmmmm sorry. No new album. We're busy delaying spiderman. We've got 5 albums ready, but we keep it for ourselves. Our fans are stupid, we can keep telling lies, they believe us, we're u2!!!!"

I'm more disappointed by the lack of news in this site than in the boys themselves, actually. I understand that they don't want to position themselves in a fixed deadline when perhaps they're more busy with other stuff (ahem Spidey)...

This said, I feel that that they played North Star in Johannesburg, a city they hadn't visited in more than ten years, is a sign that they plan to release some new songs soon, but of course, not even Soon got released last time! laugh.giflaugh.gif

weird soon didnt get released!