The ultimate 'sellouts'

surrenders

There's always the comment or two, or three asking, or stating U2 has sold out.  These are what sellouts are.  They'll perform for even the worst dictators in the world for the almighty dollar.

bd4c6c198bfad44a4ad07047c7518add.jpg

Beyoncé, Usher and Hannibal Gadhafi

WikiLeaks cables revealed that not only did a Gadhafi son hold a secret New Year's Eve bash in St. Bart's in 2009, but that the Gadhafis repeated it the next year. This time, it was hosted by Hannibal, Moammar's fifth-oldest son, who hired Beyoncé and Usher to entertain guests. Reports varied on how much they were paid; the numbers ranged from six figures to $2 million. Beyoncé's appearance drew even more attention than Carey's had—and more criticism, because Hannibal had recently been in the news for beating his wife, and news had started leaking out that the Gadhafis' father had ordered a jetliner bombing that killed hundreds over Lockerbie, Scotland.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0b3988cdbd6856b36de85eed2ff6ea7a.jpg

Mariah Carey and Mutassim Gadhafi

In 2009, Western media reported that Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, a son of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, had paid Mariah Carey $1 million to sing just four songs at his New Year's bash in St. Bart's. Gadhafi petulantly denied the reports in the state newspaper he controlled, blaming the big spending on his younger brother, Mutassim. As the Gadhafis' father scrambles to suppress a growing revolution, a cable released by WikiLeaks has revealed the sons' spending—including Mutassim's demands for $1.2 billion to build a personal militia and, sure enough, a big payout to Mariah. Jay-Z is rumored to to have joined Carey on the dictators' stage.

but is it true? the latest bono is racist-scandal proved once again how reliable the written word is.
if its true, then i guess its a moral decision these artists made. one i hope my favourite band/artist will never make.  

yes, it is all true, and its been in the evening news here in the states quite a lot. check out surrenders links....

nice work surrenders!

U2 would never consider working for dictators, omg!

U2 on stage for the ghadaffis?

never gonna happen......

while his people go hungry and there arent enough jobs or money, this family rules with an iron fist, making sure they live a lavish lifestyle, putting themselves and their selfish needs above everyone else....

and ultimately murdering those who disagree with themmad.gif

• Subscriber

Just ill informed surely!, someone is making money out of them that doesn't give a crap about the actual artists. The news about lockerbie has only just come out to be fair, and Tony Blair is just as bad... he kissed gaddafi!

• Subscriber

It's not selling out, it's choosing the wrong people to hang out with/perform for. The perfect definition of sellout is Katy Perry. She started off with an electric guitar in hand, and now she's gone to selling herself on sex (case in point the California Gurls video, which I've been unlucky enough to catch snips of while switching between music channels on the box).

• Subscriber

It's not selling out, it's choosing the wrong people to hang out with/perform for. The perfect definition of sellout is Katy Perry. She started off with an electric guitar in hand, and now she's gone to selling herself on sex (case in point the California Gurls video, which I've been unlucky enough to catch snips of while switching between music channels on the box).
sorry but look at u2's ipod and then switch to blackberry, both did adverts for, for what? why did a band like u2 have to do adverts, even though in the past they said they wouldnt ever do that.............

both adverts were released around the time albums were............=buisness idea=shifting more copies=more money=sellout, im afriad to say. doesnt make them a bad band.

• Subscriber

omg!!! justin bieber has new haircut!!!! but thats not sell out either, is it? lol!

but i can relate to what peter says, i don like female singers who play the sex-card that obviously. i mean, look at rihanna, she was great already (i know not everyone likes her, but she makes good hits) and now seems she's wearing less clothes every performance and video?? why's that? to prove to our daughters again they have to get naked, whore-style, to make something out of their life??