Following the middle east

And, the bottom line remains....the world could not sit by while Ghaddafi slaughtered his own people. Not when there is a wave of pro-democracy uprisings throughout the region attempting to break their heads above the dark surface.

But, I am glad this is a UN-mandated action, that the Europeans are largely in the lead and that some Arab countries are contributing to the fight.

And, if someone insists on making this all about oil, then at least recognize this: Libya's oil is primarily bought by Europe. But, regardless of who buys the oil, if Libyan supplies were disrupted, the entire world energy market would be negatively impacted. On the heels of a global economic crisis, we hardly need the additional pressure.

We need to get off of fossil fuels as quickly and realistically as possible. And, we need to stand by those peoples agitating for democracy. I am very pleased with the UN mandate and European efforts in this.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Maybe I'm a skeptical, but I've known of many people slaughtered by their governments in many parts of the world, the only places where our western countries feel compelled to intervine are those where oil is extracted, a bit shocking, isn't it?

I'm not implying that Russia or China do better.

You don't seem to see the point: UN-mandated or not, this sort of intervention by other countries only creates more terrorists.

It happened in Ireland. It happened in Spain. It happened in Columbia. It happened in Palestine. It happened in Iraq. It will happen in Libya.

• Subscriber

You don't seem to see the point: UN-mandated or not, this sort of intervention by other countries only creates more terrorists.

It happened in Ireland. It happened in Spain. It happened in Columbia. It happened in Palestine. It happened in Iraq. It will happen in Libya.

I'm sorry I don't catch what kind of intervention you're talking about in Spain, are you talking about the Basque Country or about the bombings in Madrid in 2003?

[quote name='mariacm wrote:

mummy']You don't seem to see the point: UN-mandated or not, this sort of intervention by other countries only creates more terrorists.

I'm sorry I don't catch what kind of intervention you're talking about in Spain, are you talking about the Basque Country or about the bombings in Madrid in 2003?

I'm talking about Basque Country with its terrorist organisation E.T.A. who want to gain independence from Spain through terrorism. 

The counter-point to the argument that military actions create more terrorists:  

maybe in the short-term; and Ghaddafi IS a terrorist.  But in the long term, there is the potential for stable democracies in the Middle East and North Africa to diminish the over-all  impetus toward terror from emerging in that part of the world.  So how could the world not support the reformers?  Even if we are not yet sure what or who will come next. 

This thesis is, essentially, the underlying strategy for having launched the Iraq invasion--somewhat like a domino theory, although I never heard anyone speak of it that way (too much attention paid to the WMD concern).  And, that strategy has had some effects, as this "Arab-Spring" suggests. In case you have not noticed, anti-Americanism or anti-Western sentiment have not  been over-arching themes of the democratic uprisings.  In fact, the reformers have been looking toward Western models of government and economic growth as their driving visions.

There are no good answers, but doing nothing would have been the worst of a bunch of bad options.
  • Subscriber

[quote name='mummy wrote:

mariacm wrote:

mummy']You don't seem to see the point: UN-mandated or not, this sort of intervention by other countries only creates more terrorists.

I'm talking about Basque Country with its terrorist organisation E.T.A. who want to gain independence from Spain through terrorism. 

So, there was no foreign intervention here, there was a terrible repression to all the nationalisms within the country during Franco's dictatorship, but it was and still is an inner conflict I hope some day we'll be able to solve in the polls.

[quote name='mariacm wrote:

mummy wrote:

mariacm']I'm sorry I don't catch what kind of intervention you're talking about in Spain, are you talking about the Basque Country or about the bombings in Madrid in 2003?

So, there was no foreign intervention here, there was a terrible repression to all the nationalisms within the country during Franco's dictatorship, but it was and still is an inner conflict I hope some day we'll be able to solve in the polls.

I guess it depends on how you define "foreign intervention".  Here was a tyrant that was recognised by France, UK and the US as a loyal friend and ally.  If there was no Franco, there probably would never have been an E.T.A.

The counter-point to the argument that military actions create more terrorists:  

Please don't misquote me.  I never said military actions create more terrorists.  I said: historically, foreign intervention has created terrorists.

[quote name='mummy wrote:

security_in_anonymity']The counter-point to the argument that military actions create more terrorists:  

Please don't misquote me.  I never said military actions create more terrorists.  I said: historically, foreign intervention has created terrorists.

Fine.  But the counter-point still applies.