Following the middle east

• Subscriber

Just watching it on the news right now - the descent into anarchy, the huge problems at the Tunisian border as Libyans are trying to flee. He needs to go and go now! Give up and admit defeat!

Although I do have to say that I was very angry this morning to see that our Prime Minister (or the Moomin as I like to call him!) said that he will send in the British army to remove him with force! - Firstly with what money? And secondly, what about Mugabe and other dictators? Whey wasn't the army sent into those countries so they could be overthrown? Could it be possibly because Libya has oil and other countries don't? And surely there would be some irony of going to fight against someone our government sold weapons too???? But that is a different argument so I will leave it there.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall a recent history of a government (rather a coalition of governments) going in to forcefully remove a murderous tyrant--it was a most unpopular undertaking.

Gaddafi used air-strikes on his own people.  I would be fine with someone going in and forcefully displacing him. I am just not sure it is in anyone's interest to do so (other than the Libyan people's).  And, I am fairly certain that if  anyone did go in to forcefully stop Gaddafi,  interest in the Libyan people would be immediately forgotten by much of  the oh-so-concerned outside world.   Instead, I do not doubt, whoever intervened would suddenly be perceived as an even more "evil" force than he. 

I recall a recent history of a government (rather a coalition of governments) going in to forcefully remove a murderous tyrant--it was a most unpopular undertaking.

Gaddafi used air-strikes on his own people.  I would be fine with someone going in and forcefully displacing him. I am just not sure it is in anyone's interest to do so (other than the Libyan people's).  And, I am fairly certain that if  anyone did go in to forcefully stop Gaddafi,  interest in the Libyan people would be immediately forgotten by much of  the oh-so-concerned outside world.   Instead, I do not doubt, whoever intervened would suddenly be perceived as an even more "evil" force than he. 

Eh, I can see at least one reason why people other than the libyans would be interested in going in and removing Mr. M Gadaffi.  For the same reason the "coalition of governments" removed the other "tyrant". One Word: OIL.

The world is getting Libya's oil already. There is absolutely no need to go in and take it by force. And it is not as if Gaddafi is in any position to withhold oil sales.  

Today's Washington Post reports opposition groups will be formally requesting outside military assistance to help topple Gaddafi.  

Moammar-Gaddafi.jpeg

The world is getting Libya's oil already. There is absolutely no need to go in and take it by force. And it is not as if Gaddafi is in any position to withhold oil sales.  

Today's Washington Post reports opposition groups will be formally requesting outside military assistance to help topple Gaddafi.  

Moammar-Gaddafi.jpeg

Moammar-Gaddafi.jpeg

Foreign governments are increasing the pressure on Gaddafi to leave in the hope of ending fighting that has claimed at least 1,000 lives and restoring order to a country that accounts for 2% of the world's oil production

It's clear that foreign governments are concerned that Libya doesn't slip into Civil War for a fear it would have a detrimental impact on oil reserves.  Their concern for the Libyan people is a secondary mission.  Whether or not Gadaffi is in any position to withhold oil sales is not the issue here.  The primary concern is to save the oil.