Following the middle east

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Before you guys go and get yourselves spooled up into something stupid, please....please....take a moment to read the above article and exercise just a tad of intellectual discernment. Everything does not have to warrant a mindless call to populist arms, you know.
I have read the article and I agree with what is written - i agree that Gadaffi is an evil man, with too much power and is insane and needs to be removed before he kills the whole population of his country with his wild ideas.

I regard myself as having a good level of intelligence and have followed the whole of the middle east protests with great interest politically as well as showing an interest in the protecting the human at the same time.

This man does need to be removed - no doubt, but so do so many other dictators, other coutries have had civil wars (which is what Libya is coming to) and the UK has done nothing to help them. look at all the countries with dictators and are ignored by the west - unless it is charities etc... giving their people a voice and aid. Are they being helped by the UK government??? No they aren't; aid is actually being cut by huge percentages as governments in the West save as much money as possible in the face of a huge recession and the dictators contunie with their corruption etc....

But countries in which the West have a great interest in - the ones which make them money, are the ones which are shown more concern.

Yes dictators are wrong, corruption is wrong, and they need to be stopped, but not just in oil rich countries. Surely you can see the irony of the UK government planning on removing a dictator by force whilst that dictator is using weapon that they sold him

Zhivvy,

The gist of the article is that nobody wants or has the means to engage in a military action against Libya. The US Defense Secretary even called for this sort of "loose talk" to stop. That is the point of the article. What are you reading??????

You know, it has been 7 years since this sort of thing went down the last time, and the government is no more sophisticated in its communications or the public any more sophisticated in its reading and analysis than they were then.  

I think I will sit this one out.  There are only so many times one can bash into a wall before finally becoming indifferent.

Honestly, a great many people in political and diplomatic decision-making capacities haven't the slightest clue what to do--they have been caught off-guard and unaware again--which is a hell of a feat considering how blindingly obvious all the hallmarks of these coming uprisings have been.  One has to work to be so blind. If all of this were not so tragic, it would be funny.

Zhivvy,

The gist of the article is that nobody wants or has the means to engage in a military action against Libya. The US Defense Secretary even called for this sort of "loose talk" to stop. That is the point of the article. What are you reading??????

You know, it has been 7 years since this sort of thing went down the last time, and the government is no more sophisticated in its communications or the public any more sophisticated in its reading and analysis than they were then.  

I think I will sit this one out.  There are only so many times one can bash into a wall before finally becoming indifferent.

Honestly, a great many people in political and diplomatic decision-making capacities haven't the slightest clue what to do--they have been caught off-guard and unaware again--which is a hell of a feat considering how blindingly obvious all the hallmarks of these coming uprisings have been.  One has to work to be so blind. If all of this were not so tragic, it would be funny.

Zhivvy,

• Subscriber

Security, read the UK papers - at least your government seems to be having some sense. Ours seem to be a bit behind in having any sense!!! I do think that Cameron will back down - he has too. It is a pity that you don't get the BBC over there - we have a political show called 'Question Time' every week and last week and most certainly this week this is a topic which will be hotly debated. Lat week a lot of the argument was the fact that UK sold weapons to Libya etc.... and this week it will be discussed again. And the oil issue was brought up too by the opposition.

It is getting late over here now and almost bedtime but if you want i can post the links of the UK papers tomorrow if you want to see what the view is over here of our government!

• Subscriber

the phrase can't see the wood for the trees comes to mind!!!!
  • Subscriber

Zhivvy, we do get the BBC over here - I've seen Question Time a few times, but a long time ago now and I cannot remember when it's on or if it still is on, but at least it used to be.

Security, read the UK papers - at least your government seems to be having some sense. Ours seem to be a bit behind in having any sense!!! I do think that Cameron will back down - he has too. It is a pity that you don't get the BBC over there - we have a political show called 'Question Time' every week and last week and most certainly this week this is a topic which will be hotly debated. Lat week a lot of the argument was the fact that UK sold weapons to Libya etc.... and this week it will be discussed again. And the oil issue was brought up too by the opposition.

It is getting late over here now and almost bedtime but if you want i can post the links of the UK papers tomorrow if you want to see what the view is over here of our government!

Thanks for the offer Zhiv.  Actually, we do get the BBC over here--on TV, and naturally on the web.  I also skim the main British papers nearly daily, as well as the German, French, Israeli, and a few other countries. (Thank god for the web!)

I know Cameron has been bungling his response to this, as has the US.  I followed the kurfluffel about the arms sales.  I am following the debate re: the proposed no-fly zone.  Naturally the people calling for this are expecting the US to provide the military cover for such a feat.  Thankfully our defense secretary has a level head--which I cannot say for the white house or state department at the moment.  Cameron's only other proposed military action that I am aware of is his announcement that that the UK would airlift 6,000 mainly Egyptian refugees stranded on the Libya-Tunisia border to Cairo.

Thanks again and Sleep well!

Thanks for the offer Zhiv.  Actually, we do get the BBC over here--on TV, and naturally on the web.  I also skim the main British papers nearly daily, as well as the German, French, Israeli, and a few other countries. (Thank god for the web!)

I know Cameron has been bungling his response to this, as has the US.  I followed the kurfluffel about the arms sales.  I am following the debate re: the proposed no-fly zone.  Naturally the people calling for this are expecting the US to provide the military cover for such a feat.  Thankfully our defense secretary has a level head--which I cannot say for the white house or state department at the moment.  Cameron's only other proposed military action that I am aware of is his announcement that that the UK would airlift 6,000 mainly Egyptian refugees stranded on the Libya-Tunisia border to Cairo.

Thanks again and Sleep well!