Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zhivvy

Following the middle east

In the best of all possible worlds, our world will figure out how to build a bridge that will entice Qaddafi to walk over it and out of the country.

He is killing his people, and if he begins to slaughter them in the thousands, frankly I think somebody will have to do something. I think it should be the Europeans. But the likelihood of them pulling themselves together and finding the moral spine to do this is fairly slim.

If things come right down to it, the US may end up being the only ones willing to act, which would just piss me off.

I know there are a great many who would rather witness genocide in Libya than see the US take any actions to stop it.  I find such individuals loathsome.

Do you always contradict yourself?

This is the last I have to say on the subject of whether international intervention is required.... or rather, I'm giving the last word to the Libyan people themselves:

Good.  I am glad the rebels have backed off from asking for outside help, because we don't want to go, and this gives us an easy way out.

My opinion of the rest of the world has changed greatly over the last few years.  I have always been internationally oriented, but never as a "One World Government" type, which I think is a nice idea but essentially stupid.  It bothers me deeply when barbarism is not confronted and stopped.  But I do not see why anyone or any nation should sacrifice itself in an effort to help those who don't want the help.

I am tired of the US being criticized regardless of what it does.

I am tired of countries who have benefited greatly from US actions over the decades, now refusing to carry their share of the weight for assuring global stability.

I am tired of the lack of stiff spines among so many of the Europeans and their arrogant indifference to human suffering.  Mostly I am tired of Europeans trying to pass off their indifferent passivism as cultural sophistication.

I would like the US to focus the bulk of its efforts on:

•  reforming its energy base and getting off of fossil fuels, to the extent that it can, as quickly as possible 

• rapidly advancing our society on the backs of new technology innovations;

• assuring that the best and the brightest from the world over have the means and desire to immigrate to the US;

• focus on opening up the space frontier;

• assure that the radical advances in medical technologies are quickly developed and disseminated to our population first.

• If our interests are absolutely threatened somewhere in the world, then act.  But also recognize that the arena we have to play in is becoming larger than just this planet now, so some of the things that were once our "interest" are increasingly less so.

• Leave most of the rest of the rude world to muck it out with itself for the next 20 years.  Let them live with the consequences of their attitudes while we assure the US is living in the 22-nd Century by 2040

• Do the best we can to save the billions caught powerless in the grip of inferior cultural forces, but understand we may have to let a lot of them go for awhile. 

Good.  I am glad the rebels have backed off from asking for outside help, because we don't want to go, and this gives us an easy way out.

My opinion of the rest of the world has changed greatly over the last few years.  I have always been internationally oriented, but never as a "One World Government" type, which I think is a nice idea but essentially stupid.  It bothers me deeply when barbarism is not confronted and stopped.  But I do not see why anyone or any nation should sacrifice itself in an effort to help those who don't want the help.

I am tired of countries who have benefited greatly from US actions over the decades, now refusing to carry their share of the weight for assuring global stability.

I am tired of the lack of stiff spines among so many of the Europeans and their arrogant indifference to human suffering.  Mostly I am tired of Europeans trying to pass off their indifferent passivism as cultural sophistication.

•  reforming its energy base and getting off of fossil fuels, to the extent that it can, as quickly as possible 

• assuring that the best and the brightest from the world over have the means and desire to immigrate to the US;

• assure that the radical advances in medical technologies are quickly developed and disseminated to our population first.

• If our interests are absolutely threatened somewhere in the world, then act.  But also recognize that the arena we have to play in is becoming larger than just this planet now, so some of the things that were once our "interest" are increasingly less so.

• Leave most of the rest of the rude world to muck it out with itself for the next 20 years.  Let them live with the consequences of their attitudes while we assure the US is living in the 22-nd Century by 2040

• Do the best we can to save the billions caught powerless in the grip of inferior cultural forces, but understand we may have to let a lot of them go for awhile. 

... you're not right in the head.

Hmmm, I don't know. I think operating from a position of self-interest is probably a much more viable state of mind than constantly placing the interest of others above one's own. I don't see why you should  think that is not "right." Aren't you the one that wants the US to stop interfering with everybody else? I am agreeing with you!

Hmmm, I don't know. I think operating from a position of self-interest is probably a much more viable state of mind than constantly placing the interest of others above one's own. I don't see why you should  think that is not "right." Aren't you the one that wants the US to stop interfering with everybody else? I am agreeing with you!

[quote name=mummy]This is the last I have to say on the subject of whether international intervention is required.... or rather, I'm giving the last word to the Libyan people themselves:

��

This is good, the people need to demand and make change themselves with no intervention, just humanitarian support if needed.  To think this really all started because of one young man selling fruit in Tunisia who had his scale taken from him by a government authority for having no permit, his story http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/20/tunisian-fruit-seller-mohammed-bouazizi