Ancestral names and crests , have any............

123love

• Subscriber

Was looking up my Grandparents original names and found two crests in the Lennon name Irish and part name decosta portugal but the first part of the name in french is not there................

Here goes my grandparents mainden names

Dads folks ;Grandad ; L'espoir Decosta / Grandma ; Ricaud

Mums folks ; Grandad ; Coquet de carel / Grandma ; Lennon

Have you got any Crests and what are your Grandparents ?

• Subscriber

Mother's side which includes grandparents and great-grandparents (French, Scottish, Welsh I think?):

Rousseau

Harris

McCullough

Pemberton

Father's side (Danish, German):

Andersen

Lehmann

• Subscriber

Do you know their meanings ? I know all but a couple

L'espoire / Hope

Decosta / Consistancy

Ricaud --------------

Coquet / Flirt -Well dressed

De Carel ----------

Lennon / Dear one

• Subscriber

Before I was married my family name was Connor and this is the coat of arms

oconnor-coat-of-arms-family-crest.gif

And the gaelic written at the bottom translates into English meaning - "from God all and any help"

And my name was originally O'Connor as lots of Connor's were.

I love my coat of arms!!!

• Subscriber

Kewl Zhivvy , was looking up some of mine on this site http://surnames.meaning-of-names.com/lennon/

And could only find Lennon my Mums mum and Carel which is without the Coquet My mums Dad and Dupuis my mums-dads mum and Decosta my dads -Dad without lespoir in front of it .............The rest would take research in different language -French...............

• Subscriber

I don't think any of our family have a coat of arms. Things get interesting in my family because my dad's side is such a mish-mash: the Jerome side of the family (my grandma's father's family) were from England, and, waayy back, from France. We're actually distantly related to Winston Churchill: his mother, Jenny Jerome, was something like our tenth cousin. The Sardesons I'm pretty sure were Norwegians, and the Rossings were, I think, Scots. (Both the Sardesons and Rossings were Grandma's first cousins.) Rossing is an unusual enough name that anyone with that name is almost certain to be related to us!

Mom's family is completely Swedish on both sides, and the family names there are Johnson and Ekvall. Ekvall was my grandma's maiden name, and Mom wound up with it as her middle name. Mom often says that one of the worst mistakes she ever made was to tell her high school friends her middle name... from then on, it was all they called her! Some of her old friends STILL call her "Ekvall" fifty years later. I think the name means "valley of oaks" or something similar.

• Subscriber

My father's last name is Sutherland---Sutherland & Ennis (great-grandmother)

Baggett (grand-mother) & Padgett (her mother; my great-grandmother)

My mother's maiden name is Thompson ----Thompson & Wills (great-grandmother)

Downs (grandmother) & Dryman (aka Dreichman- her mother,

my great-grandmother)

Dreichman is German. My maternal grandmother also has Cherokee Indian heritage, but I have not been able to find out her last name (my 4th great-grandmother), My paternal great-grandmother, Ada Ennis, is the only one I can not continue on my family tree. I have been able to extend my family tree very far. On my Downs/Dryman side, I have linked relatives back to the first colony, in the US, of Jamestown, VA. Finding that descendant has allowed me to continue my tree into Europe...way back. I've found a Rankin. Seven generations back. They came from Scotland into Ulster, Northern Ireland. Then off to Pennsylvania, US.

• Subscriber

N2u274 - you have connections to a Downs which is the surname of a very good friend of mine and an Ennis - also the surname of a good friend of mine!

Doubt there are connections though lol!

But if you are struggling with Ennis - don't forget that it is an Irish surname and because of the easter uprisings of 1916 and other problems before that a lot of records were destroyed and can make it more difficult to find out stuff