MAXI?

scout6

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber
where on earth are you that you are wearing a sundress already?

There is another half of the planet below yours.

We have people, animals, Iphones and McDonalds.

Also the weather is the reverse of yours, the sky is green and we all walk on the ceiling.

[quote name='mick james wrote:

scout6']where on earth are you that you are wearing a sundress already?

Also the weather is the reverse of yours, the sky is green and we all walk on the ceiling.

roll.gif  Wow... McDonalds even?!  Then you are civilized too... and defy gravity.

Who the frack coined the term maxi-dress? I hate that. It's a sun dress that is now forever associated with maxi pads and menstruation.

WHAT was wrong with "sun dress" which we all wore in the late 70s and early 80s??? They look the same.

SUN DRESS people.

maxi ... dumb

We need more old broads like me on these boards. wink.gif

Go google "mini midi maxi" and you'll find out where/when the terms came into the lexicon. "Mini" as in mini-skirt; "midi" meaning a skirt that hit somewhere between the knees and mid-calf, and "maxi" meaning ankle length.  Look, back in the day, the long/maxi dresses were also nicknamed "Granny gowns," which probably explains why they were never terribly popular.  I always assumed the terms were cribbed from French fashion lingo (midi meaning "middle of the day" or just "middle"), but it may just be garbled French after all?

I'm also pretty sure that the term "maxi" in turn got lifted from the fashion lingo of the day, when the adhesive-backed napkins first appeared on the market. So the dress style preceeded the feminine protection devices.  Since I hit puberty right around that time, I had a front-row seat for all that!  Weird what a girl remembers.

I also remember Gloria Steinem writing about how if men had periods, they'd get together down at the bar and brag about how many pads they went through in a single day.

If the iPad can be a success, despite the name, I'm guessing a "maxi" sundress will do OK.

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

Origin of the prefix "maxi" - 1730–40; < Latin, noun use of neuter of maximus, superlative of magnus great, large

Origin of the prefix "mini" - 1655–65; < Latin, neuter of minimus smallest, least. See minor

Both seem to predate femine hygiene products and granny dresses!

• Subscriber

Do Norwegians have a hard time saying Twix? Were does Raiders come from? They don't even sound related ... oh good grief, now I need to lie down. Are you talking about the chocolate bar Twix? I like those ... and SUN DRESSES. In fact, I might wear a maxi and eat a Raider this summer.

oh

wait ... sh*t. ;)

we called it raiders for years, then suddenly it turned into twix. 

samething with calgonit, adds were telling us for almost a year: calgonit will be named finish. we were all going: okay! so you told us, now just do it!!

• Subscriber

[quote name='mick james wrote:

scout6']where on earth are you that you are wearing a sundress already?

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

no!!! seriously??? so the earth not flat afterall???