Top 100 wealthiest celebrities, look who's #7

surrenders

[quote name='Voxare wrote:

eaplatt']

Doesn't Bono still own a chunk of
Forbes
, through Elevation Partners?  Shouldn't
Forbes
then acknowledge that Bono is in fact an investor/owner in the enterprise?  That's just good Journalism 101 - any ownership or conflict of interest, etc., should be divulged.  For example, if Rupert Murdoch is out to grab another media company, and the
Wall Street Journal
writes about it, it's just the norm to disclose that Murdoch also owns the WSJ.  But
Forbes
doesn't seem to be doing that with Bono - yes, I've caught several examples of this, since EP bought into it.  Bad journalism. No wonder all they can do it tote up people's income and make lists of famous people!

-- eaplatt

I don't reallty understand how Bono owning part of forbes would create a conflict in a list like that - unless you think they made up/ changed the income for u2?

Any reputable media outlet, should they find themselves writing about an individual or company that has full or part ownership of the company doing the reporting, should always disclose that relationship. Nothing huge or fancy; most articles just throw in a one-sentence remark like so:  "KPBJ was purchased by the Tightwad Media Corporation, which is also the owner of this paper."

The problem with Forbes kissing Bono's ass is...well, that they're kissing his ass, by not making proper disclosure of the fact the he owns a chunk of their collective ass.   Never mind that it puts them below the journalistic standards of a middle-school newspaper.   Or that, for a business magazine/website that hypes endless lists of rich/powercrazy/hot/rich celebrities, not mentioning that someone who turns up on a lot of their lists also is a major investor in their company, means that they lack basic reporting chops. 

Besides,the Forbes "rich lists" all get hyped to the moon and back, and some people take it as a very serious measure of merit in the entertainment world, for some reason.  But it definitely feeds the media machine, so, again, consistent and proper disclosure of Bono's stake in Forbes should always be done. Until they start doing so, Forbes can't be regarded as a serious publication. No wonder they're in such dire straits these days. 

-- eaplatt

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Just goes to show ya what happens when you work hard at something you love!
..mmmmmmmmm.... but that only goes for the entertainement-business.... i can work hard in taking care of people, my love can work hard in being a photographer.... NOway we will ever get that rich. no matter how good we're at it....eyes.gif

(still think society gots its priorities wrong: actors, sportpeople, singers, models,... way overpaid for what they actually do/mean to this world. just my honnest opinion.)

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

Redhead11']Just goes to show ya what happens when you work hard at something you love!

..mmmmmmmmm.... but that only goes for the entertainement-business.... i can work hard in taking care of people, my love can work hard in being a photographer.... NOway we will ever get that rich. no matter how good we're at it....tongue.gif. I don't begrudge them their money and at least Bono does some good with a portion of his, but I wish others in society were valued highly too.

• Subscriber

[quote name='Janette B wrote:

barbara1 wrote:

Redhead11']Just goes to show ya what happens when you work hard at something you love!

..mmmmmmmmm.... but that only goes for the entertainement-business.... i can work hard in taking care of people, my love can work hard in being a photographer.... NOway we will ever get that rich. no matter how good we're at it....tongue.gif. I don't begrudge them their money and at least Bono does some good with a portion of his, but I wish others in society were valued highly too.

same here, janette. i don envy them. in fact i wouldnt wanna be that rich. cause lets face it, money (that amount) causes problems too. (people get stalked, threatend, deceived, even their kids seldom grow up as healthy, kind human beings. )

but some justice would be nice. even if they would spend more money in employing more nurses (in stead of paying me more) so we could do our job properly, i would be a lot happier.... (same goes for teachers!)

• Subscriber

Most people get money can't really make people happy. It's only love, loving people, being loved. Period. And if you're rich and lucky and you truly love people. All people. With or without money, you will still be the richest man or woman in the world.

Most people get money can't really make people happy. It's only love, loving people, being loved. Period. And if you're rich and lucky and you truly love people. All people. With or without money, you will still be the richest man or woman in the world.

Money helps a lot in being happy IMO, I'll take more of it any day.  Many a marriage, relationship, whatever have been ripped apart because of money, lack of it.  I would gladly take on any problems more money could create.  I would love not to have worry about paying basic bills, or something breaking and having to pay to have it fixed, or some other unforseen event happening and worrying how to pay for it, or not even able to.  Not to have to worry about getting sick and not being able to cover the cost.  Money, I love it!

[quote name='surrenders wrote:

U2LAWoman']Most people get money can't really make people happy. It's only love, loving people, being loved. Period. And if you're rich and lucky and you truly love people. All people. With or without money, you will still be the richest man or woman in the world.

Money helps a lot in being happy IMO, I'll take more of it any day.  Many a marriage, relationship, whatever have been ripped apart because of money, lack of it.  I would gladly take on any problems more money could create.  I would love not to have worry about paying basic bills, or something breaking and having to pay to have it fixed, or some other unforseen event happening and worrying how to pay for it, or not even able to.  Not to have to worry about getting sick and not being able to cover the cost.  Money, I love it!

I am with you, Surrenders.  And,  I prefer my own money to someone else's.  I  do not think that all money is equal; some of it is quite tainted.  I also believe that the value of money is  subject to distinctions based on quality and class, and not just amount.  There is a great deal of wealth in the world I would never, ever touch.  I intend to produce a great deal of wealth before I am done.  It is a hard road from nothing to wealth if one does not come from it and is not going to resort to sleaze to produce it. But, clearly, it can be done.