Goodbye, U2

newsman

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='n2u274 wrote:

newsman']After 24 straight years of being a U2 fan club member, I've decided to let my U2.com membership and all of its meaningless seniority, invisible perks and ludicrous exclusives lapse into the ether. Yesterday, it expired. It was far easier than I expected. I miss nothing because it no longer provided anything.

In fact, as much as it pains me to say, I've all but given up on believing in this band. They haven't made anything vital or true since "Pop" in '97. U2 will always be the band that made me believe that music is a sacrament of life. They were my Beatles. I still remember getting "Unforgettable Fire" for Christmas in 1984 and quickly buying everything else by the band with the little money I had.

But I have fallen out of love with the boys. They are the corporate pawns that they posed against for years. Even worse, they bore me to death. The concerts are predictable. The music is pedestrian and overproduced. Bono's voice is shot. Edge keeps dressing like he's 14. With so many other raw and talented bands making music out there right now -- Mumford & Sons, The National, Arcade Fire, Radiohead -- I just don't feel the U2 love like I once did.

It's been great, but I must move on.

Peace.

.... because we all know that NLOTH was such a predictable album from U2. You don't feel the love for them like you did before ? It's because your old. Personality speaking. I'm trying to figure the Edge dressing like he's 14. I think it's because Larry still looks 14, and Edge is jealous. I'm still trying to figure out what a guitarist of a rock group is supposed to dress like.

larry still looks 14??? are we talking same larry??eek.gifeek.gif

• Subscriber

(*after he broke up with US...)

Dear Garth Brooks*,

Why did you leave me? Things were getting so good. Then you quit us. Well I can't quit you. Sure you had your little stint as some rock 'god' ---what ever your alter ego's name was doesn't matter. It didn't work out. Okay. Well that doesn't mean you have to quit music forever. I couldn't go through a day of college in the dorms without some roommate blaring your twangy voice. Come to think of it. I usually drowned them out with U2. You can't, I guess, go home again Mr Brooks and even if you did, the locks have changed.

I guess this didn't make much sense but it was late....and maybe my grape juice had actually been a bit more alcoholic in nature

• Subscriber
dear lady gaga,

hold on. be strong. stay warm. my daughter and her friends are organising a fund-raise at school. we will send you the clothes by courier.
xxx
roll.gif

Get the girls to include a 44-gallon drum of make-up remover in the care package!