Bye Bye to Entertainment Weekly.

Carry Each Other

In this month's issue of EW, they really diss on Bono & The Edge for their creative contributions to Spiderman The Musical. The subtitle of the article on page 24 is "It's Time for Bono to Face the Music." That's it! I've already sent a cancellation notice to EW.

SOURCE: Entertainment Weekly #1147, March 25, 2011, page 24.

• Subscriber

Basically they said what 99% of other media has said, "Spiderman is in trouble". They mention the songs don't live up to what fans of U2 are used too and even say that Bono and Edge are writing two new songs. I don't think it was a "diss" but just some accurate statements.

Sara Vilkomerson's chose of wording is mainly what turned me off to her article. She used phraseology like 'songs are just not rocking' and 'hard to recall a single riff, lyric, or melody' and 'compositions are all pale shadows of the band's usual work.' She's comparing it to U2's body of work when it shouldn't be. The Spiderman musical is a side project by Bono and the Edge. I could respect and appreciate her observations and criticisms IF Larry and Adam were involved in the songwriting and music production, but since they are not, all U2 comparisons are invalid. The soundtrack is not a U2 album / cd.

??

EW finally heard of U2?  At least that's a step forward for them!

Honestly, in all the years that mag has been in print, I can't think of any feature-length article they did on either U2 as a group, or individual members of U2.  There may have been the occasional one-paragraph review, or bit of gossip when U2 got photographed with a gossip-mag favored celeb like, um, Angelina Jolie or somebody.

Jesus Christ on a Bike Dept:  Even People magazine did an article on U2--for their 1985 tour!   So, yeah, while People and their ilk focus more on the likes of Britney and Taylor and whoever's the leading boy-band outfit, at least they've been aware of the U2s existence before now. EW seems to exist in a universe  where the only music/entertainer types who matter are those who've got promotional deals with major cosmetics advertisers.

Next month:  "Spidey" gets the stink-eye treatment from Organic Gardening magazine.

Wouldn't sweat EW.  Let's see if they try to cover the tour in a few months. 

---