The Edge-Tour will finish in July, no new album until after the tour...

MacFoley

[quote name='mick james wrote:

Panth']What is so bad ab out In A Little While?

Is there a version I"ve not heard where it sucks or something?

Mate, I've. put a lot of thought into this one, and I'll give you my personal reason.

I'll never forget scoring a copy of ATYCLB 3 days before the official release at a little record store (remember them?) I used to spend way too much time in.

I pretty much ran to my car to jam the thing in the CD player.  Pretty exciting stuff.

I was quite enjoying the first half of the album, but definately had the feeling that the band had ended the experimental phase and were going back to the so called classic sound.  No worries, I was still loving the tunes.

I also noticed that Bono's voice had changed quite dramatically since Pop. Again, no big deal, dude had just turned 40, smoked like a chimney and had fronted the world's biggest band for 20 years.

But then IALW came on.

Man. Bono sounded like shit. 

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And what's this saccharine shite backing this smoke damaged wailing?

Anyways, it was the first U2 song I'd ever heard and instantly didn't like.

Never happened before that.

Anyway, I had a change of tune when they played it at the first Slane gig.  Don't know whether it was the atmosphere or what-not, but I loved it.

Still don't dig the album version, but OK not a bad tune live.

In 2001.

But seriously Panth, they play it at every bloody gig now.

There's a list of songs that would be so much better that's as long as your arm.

If they need a song that tempo for a breather, there's Stay, Angel Of Harlem etc etc.

IALW is definately a sometimes food and these little bastards stuff themselves silly like it's Foie gras and caviar

I had always found the smoke damaged voice and off key singing a part of the song's charm,the song is like walking home from the pub at 3 am with a few friends singing badly on  some side street.

Mind you I bought the album at a low point in my 20's the day it came out, but it reminds me of the days spent in the dorms at my old film school.

Granted they play it live too much now, it'd been a space theme thing because an astronaut loved the song, but it's played out now.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='Panth wrote:

mick james wrote:

Mate, I've. put a lot of thought into this one, and I'll give you my personal reason.

I'll never forget scoring a copy of ATYCLB 3 days before the official release at a little record store (remember them?) I used to spend way too much time in.

I pretty much ran to my car to jam the thing in the CD player.  Pretty exciting stuff.

I was quite enjoying the first half of the album, but definately had the feeling that the band had ended the experimental phase and were going back to the so called classic sound.  No worries, I was still loving the tunes.

I also noticed that Bono's voice had changed quite dramatically since Pop. Again, no big deal, dude had just turned 40, smoked like a chimney and had fronted the world's biggest band for 20 years.

But then IALW came on.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And what's this saccharine shite backing this smoke damaged wailing?

Anyway, I had a change of tune when they played it at the first Slane gig.  Don't know whether it was the atmosphere or what-not, but I loved it.

In 2001.

There's a list of songs that would be so much better that's as long as your arm.

If they need a song that tempo for a breather, there's Stay, Angel Of Harlem etc etc.

IALW is definately a sometimes food and these little bastards stuff themselves silly like it's Foie gras and caviar

I had always found the smoke damaged voice and off key singing a part of the song's charm,the song is like walking home from the pub at 3 am with a few friends singing badly on  some side street.

Mind you I bought the album at a low point in my 20's the day it came out, but it reminds me of the days spent in the dorms at my old film school.

Granted they play it live too much now, it'd been a space theme thing because an astronaut loved the song, but it's played out now.

Did you ever hear Bono talking about how he sang it to Joey Ramone in the hospital on his final days?

It always made me have the sick thought

"IALW, the song that killed Joey Ramone." 

eyes.gif

laugh.gif 

Panth wrote:

mick james']

But then IALW came on.

In 2001.

Did you ever hear Bono talking about how he sang it to Joey Ramone in the hospital on his final days?

It always made me have the sick thought

"IALW, the song that killed Joey Ramone." 

eyes.gif

laugh.gif 

SO Bono spared us anymore The Ramones?

We should thank him!

• Subscriber

But then IALW came on.

In 2001.

IALW is definately a sometimes food and these little bastards stuff themselves silly like it's Foie gras and caviarsee, thats how opinions can differ, mick. cause i remember listening to ATYCLB first time, hearing all the big hits: beautiful day, elevation, walk on, stuck in a moment. and loving them cause i knew them and could sing along... then came IALW, and i was blown away! didnt expect to find this little pearl of beauty on that album. i never heard his voice like this, touching, warm, loving, longing... i immediately announced it my favourite song of the album and put it on replay.... 

he wrote sweetest thing for ali, but i think this is their real love song. 
and i agree, played a lot during the 360° touring. and they can replace it with other songs, fine by me. as long as they play it on every show i get to seeohwell.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

mick james wrote:

But then IALW came on.

In 2001.

see, thats how opinions can differ, mick. cause i remember listening to ATYCLB first time, hearing all the big hits: beautiful day, elevation, walk on, stuck in a moment. and loving them cause i knew them and could sing along... then came IALW, and i was blown away! didnt expect to find this little pearl of beauty on that album. i never heard his voice like this, touching, warm, loving, longing... i immediately announced it my favourite song of the album and put it on replay.... 
he wrote sweetest thing for ali, but i think this is their real love song. 
and i agree, played a lot during the 360° touring. and they can replace it with other songs, fine by me. as long as they play it on every show i get to seeohwell.gif

Don't worry Barbara, if I had to bet on one song that won't be leaving soon is IALW...and WOWY

• Subscriber

that would be great, daniel! cause wowy is the song that made me fall in love with this band happy.gif see! they keep them in just for me!! thanx guys, love you xxx
Haha probably...considering that the rest of us aren't as happy with these songs! wink.gif

Sorry but I would like to see them drop in a little while and with or without you. The latter sounds overplayed and tired now.

Agree! There are so many U2 songs that can easily replace In A Little While (maybe Fez - Being Born or Tomorrow?). As for WOWY, I wish they could go back to the Rattle and Hum DVD version....if they continue playing it. Again, that can be replaced with songs like Red Hill Mining or Heartland....and I don't agree with them replacing Magnificent with EBTTRT....they should've taken out Boots instead...and then again, I thought they should've released Magnificent as the first single off NLOTH.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

MacFoley']Sorry but I would like to see them drop in a little while and with or without you. The latter sounds overplayed and tired now.

Agree! There are so many U2 songs that can easily replace In A Little While (maybe Fez - Being Born or Tomorrow?). As for WOWY, I wish they could go back to the Rattle and Hum DVD version....if they continue playing it. Again, that can be replaced with songs like Red Hill Mining or Heartland....and I don't agree with them replacing Magnificent with EBTTRT....they should've taken out Boots instead...and then again, I thought they should've released Magnificent as the first single off NLOTH.

yep. i dont understand how the same band can write a magical song like with or without you. on record its perfect. the live performances up to slane castle were good. now they have turned it into the most boring live u2 song, even if i still think its one of their best singles to date.