Why GIBBO was suspended,...

• Subscriber

I'm not an Aussie but do on occasion post in the Aussie thread! Not once

have I encountered any profanity! Thank yourselves lucky there

isn't an Irish thread then you'd see some swearing!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

• Subscriber

quick let's start an Irish thread..........can we call it "I'm ******* Irish"...........roll.gif

the thing is do not get is that (supposedly) we are all adults and like it or not swearing is part of life and living.....yer fat singer bono guy does it, happy lawrence does it, the hedge does it and posh boy adum does it so is it a case of do as i say not as i do????......

the other thing is if people don't like reading sweary words then don't read anything with my name attached to it simple as that plus the fact that all swear words i use are actually in a proper english dictionary (as opposed to an edited one) so when i swear it is part of my language so am i actually being oppressed for using "my language" in here i certainly hope not because we all know that freedom of speech and non-oppression is allowed in here right??????..............RIGHT?????

• Subscriber

[quote name='aussiegirl wrote:

Carol8']I'm not an Aussie but do on occasion post in the Aussie thread! Not once

quick let's start an Irish thread..........can we call it "I'm ******* Irish"...........roll.gif

Lets start a Scottish thread then Basher can swear at himself all day long lol ........ I personally can't understand a word he writes cause it's all in Scottish ........ I'll be blown away the day I can understand that language ...... ye ken what I'm saying ......

• Subscriber

the thing is do not get is that (supposedly) we are all adults and like it or not swearing is part of life and living.....yer fat singer bono guy does it, happy lawrence does it, the hedge does it and posh boy adum does it so is it a case of do as i say not as i do????......

Nope, because THEY DONT POST in here. What you do outside of the ZOO is your business, what they do is theirs. For the record, we have had some crew come and post and I did have to speak to them. And yeah, I would tell them [u2] to tone it down, but as I have not seen them in here for a bit, there is no need.

And AGAIN, excessive or constant use of profanity is the problem, not an occasional word here or there, and I have yet to hear any member of U2 swear up a storm in any of their videos, writings or interviews.

the other thing is if people don't like reading sweary words then don't read anything with my name attached to it simple as that plus the fact that all swear words i use are actually in a proper english dictionary (as opposed to an edited one) so when i swear it is part of my language so am i actually being oppressed for using "my language" in here i certainly hope not because we all know that freedom of speech and non-oppression is allowed in here right??????..............RIGHT?????

Again no. Every community has its rules. The way you act around your family, at work, at church, is usually different than how you act at the pub, with your friends, or at a club. Everyone adheres to these societal standards for whatever communities they belong to. We have certain expectations for behavior here, and if you want to be part of t he community then one has to conform.

Besides you can express ANY idea you want, as long as it is in a civil manner and does not contain profanity, so your "freedom of expression/speech" is there. Since you are not physically present, nor has your property, liberty, or person been restrained than you are not being oppressed.

Lastly, a) I just do not understand how removing a few words from one's vocabulary can reduce someones ability to communicate so drastically, & B) You all want to be treated as adults, so act like it.  Trying to justify or excuse your behavior when you know you are doing something wrong is immature.

Bajawink.gif

• Subscriber

PS. One of the reasons there is no chat is because if peeps cannot follow the rules in the forum, which is moderated, there is no way a chat will be allowed. Something to keep in mind. That's why the cover it live chat is moderated and shut off 

[quote name='Bajagirl wrote:

basher1']the thing is do not get is that (supposedly) we are all adults and like it or not swearing is part of life and living.....yer fat singer bono guy does it, happy lawrence does it, the hedge does it and posh boy adum does it so is it a case of do as i say not as i do????......

Nope, because THEY DONT POST in here. What you do outside of the ZOO is your business, what they do is theirs. For the record, we have had some crew come and post and I did have to speak to them. And yeah, I would tell them [u2] to tone it down, but as I have not seen them in here for a bit, there is no need

And AGAIN, excessive or constant use of profanity is the problem, not an occasional word here or there, and I have yet to hear any member of U2 swear up a storm in any of their videos, writings or interviews.

Again no. Every community has its rules. The way you act around your family, at work, at church, is usually different than how you act at the pub, with your friends, or at a club. Everyone adheres to these societal standards for whatever communities they belong to. We have certain expectations for behavior here, and if you want to be part of t he community then one has to conform.

Besides you can express ANY idea you want, as long as it is in a civil manner and does not contain profanity, so your "freedom of expression/speech" is there. Since you are not physically present, nor has your property, liberty, or person been restrained than you are not being oppressed.

Lastly, a) I just do not understand how removing a few words from one's vocabulary can reduce someones ability to communicate so drastically, &
B)
You all want to be treated as adults, so act like it.  Trying to justify or excuse your behavior when you know you are doing something wrong is immature.

Baja
wink.gif

tongue.gif

PS. One of the reasons there is no chat is because if peeps cannot follow the rules in the forum, which is moderated, there is no way a chat will be allowed. Something to keep in mind. That's why the cover it live chat is moderated and shut off 
Wow, this is high school, maybe junior high
  • Subscriber

The bottom line here is simple. Obey the rules. It's easy. It's a no brainer. If you are that adolescent that you don't have the self-control to obey the rules - and it really doesn't matter if "culturally I don't like the rule" or "a lot of people do this these days," or "but so & so is a great friend and a great person." Big deal.

Nor is it just about "personal clashes." The people defending Gibbo - many of whose posts I've enjoyed over the years - simply need to get past it. No offense, but these discussions remind me of junior high days.

It's an internet discussion board! It has rules. Abide by them. In my life - though I don't use it very much at all these days except to myself in difficult circumstances - I've used the f-word as colorfully as anyone on here. But I know it's not something to be done on such a board. So - rules the rule.

The honorable person simply says - "Well, I messed up. Sorry. Will try to do better next time." Gibbo knows how to tweak someone and knows quite well when he is seeking to get under someone's skin. It's clear what he was trying to do here and, friend or not, it's poor character by him. Justifiable anger or not - bad form on his part, simple and plain. If you don't have the humility to say, "I'm sorry, should have behaved better" - and if you are cussing on someone's FB wall - then you have the problem. End of argument. Indefensible.

There's a number of things that bothered me about U2.com which is why I did not renew my paid subscription this year (including the "reward" for the subscription); but, following posting rules and having a level of decorum on a discussion board really doesn't take very much self-control for an adult.