Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bajagirl

Why GIBBO was suspended,...

[quote name='bonosbaby25 wrote:

Bajagirl wrote:

bonosbaby25']they may not post in here, but is it fair that they post videos on the main subs page with them using foul language? well Bono anyway.. surely it's double standards.. youngsters could be just as offended seeing Bono swearing as reading foul language on here...

Bonosbaby, cathkel only copied one part of the answer, the second part pf that paragraph is this:

And AGAIN, excessive or constant use of profanity is the problem, not an occasional word here or there, and I have yet to hear any member of U2 swear up a storm in any of their videos, writings or interviews.

And for fairness, sorry you feel that way. The mods enforce the rules that are set for the forum, want them to change,?  talk to U2, Principle Management and Live Nation.

Baja

I'm not saying that I want the rules of the forum to change.. I do agree with them.. I just feel that it was kinda bad timing that that particular video was posted just after Gibbo was suspended.. I mean.. it was obvious that the vid had been edited.. why was it edited to include Bono swearing like that? I'm not a prude.. I swear sometimes.. but surely it made this whole daft episode even more ridiculous? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's hypocritical to have Bono swearing on the same website that has suspended a member for something similar.. (and I do understand it was more than just one time for Gibbo, so I'm not in any way condoning him)

I understand what you are saying, but the moderators have no control or say over what gets posted in the main site. This [Zoo] is where we work.  In fact, that side is run by completely different people. And yes, utterly bad timing.

As for the chat, regretfully we got many complaints over it and the arguments tended to spill over into the forum,. It has been gone for years, and really highly doubt it will ever come back. - Baja

Many complaints...hmm...probably from the few who tried to stir up trouble. I venture to say that there are way more complaints on a daily basis about people in the forum/threads and those spill over into other threads and everywhere else...yet the forum continues...maybe we should just close up shop altogether.

Many complaints...hmm...probably from the few who tried to stir up trouble. I venture to say that there are way more complaints on a daily basis about people in the forum/threads and those spill over into other threads and everywhere else...yet the forum continues...maybe we should just close up shop altogether.
Actually the forums are just a small part of U2com.  I have friends who have been subscribers since the beginning but never come on the forums - they think it's too scary LOL

[quote name='Dustbin wrote:

aussiegirl wrote:

Carol8']I'm not an Aussie but do on occasion post in the Aussie thread! Not once

have I encountered any profanity! Thank yourselves lucky there

isn't an Irish thread then you'd see some swearing!

quick let's start an Irish thread..........can we call it "I'm ******* Irish"...........
roll.gif

Lets start a Scottish thread then Basher can swear at himself all day long lol ........ I personally can't understand a word he writes cause it's all in Scottish ........ I'll be blown away the day I can understand that language ...... ye ken what I'm saying ......

I think there is an Irish thread in the basement...but I've not checked lately.  

Shez I can understand Basher's Scottish to a certain level...then he loses me.....maybe if I was drunk I might understand more.... roll.gif

[quote name='Bajagirl wrote:

bonosbaby25 wrote:

Bajagirl']
Bonosbaby, cathkel only copied one part of the answer, the second part pf that paragraph is this:

And for fairness, sorry you feel that way. The mods enforce the rules that are set for the forum, want them to change,?  talk to U2, Principle Management and Live Nation.

Baja

I'm not saying that I want the rules of the forum to change.. I do agree with them.. I just feel that it was kinda bad timing that that particular video was posted just after Gibbo was suspended.. I mean.. it was obvious that the vid had been edited.. why was it edited to include Bono swearing like that? I'm not a prude.. I swear sometimes.. but surely it made this whole daft episode even more ridiculous? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's hypocritical to have Bono swearing on the same website that has suspended a member for something similar.. (and I do understand it was more than just one time for Gibbo, so I'm not in any way condoning him)

I understand what you are saying, but the moderators have no control or say over what gets posted in the main site. This [Zoo] is where we work.  In fact, that side is run by completely different people. And yes, utterly bad timing.

As for the chat, regretfully we got many complaints over it and the arguments tended to spill over into the forum,. It has been gone for years, and really highly doubt it will ever come back. - Baja

ok.. fair enough that you don't have any say about what gets posted on the main site.. but surely there is some interaction? I'll not say anymore on the matter.. it's just the "do as I say.. not as I do" thing that I don't like.. that's all..

[quote name='Erin Go Bragh-less wrote:

U2mom']Many complaints...hmm...probably from the few who tried to stir up trouble. I venture to say that there are way more complaints on a daily basis about people in the forum/threads and those spill over into other threads and everywhere else...yet the forum continues...maybe we should just close up shop altogether.

Actually the forums are just a small part of U2com.  I have friends who have been subscribers since the beginning but never come on the forums - they think it's too scary LOL

What a bunch of wimps!wink.gif

[quote name='Erin Go Bragh-less wrote:

Dustbin wrote:

aussiegirl']quick let's start an Irish thread..........can we call it "I'm ******* Irish"...........
roll.gif

Lets start a Scottish thread then Basher can swear at himself all day long lol ........ I personally can't understand a word he writes cause it's all in Scottish ........ I'll be blown away the day I can understand that language ...... ye ken what I'm saying ......

I think there is an Irish thread in the basement...but I've not checked lately.  

Shez I can understand Basher's Scottish to a certain level...then he loses me.....maybe if I was drunk I might understand more.... roll.gif

there is one pub I go to up in Scotland and there is one guy that goes in there and what seems to be gibberish that comes out of his mouth, he always manages to get the beer he ordered put in front of him ......... the more I drink however the less I understand myself lol ......... when I first started talking to the owner of this pub who happens to be Kenny he started saying aye a ken and I'm there saying yes I know you're Ken that's your name you numptie any way he kept saying it and then others did to then I realise that they were in fact saying a ken as I know!!!  Now cause I spend a bit of time up there my line manager knows I am talking to someone in our Glasgow office cause he says to me ...... you started to talk Scottish ........ 
And the chat was abandoned years ago before the paid zoo came into effect ....... where did we have to go to chat, Slaneys unofficial site .......
Mind you you must admit that this Gibbo saga ........ ohhhhhhh we could get a Zoo Soap Opera going here!!!!!! (like Eastenders) Zootopia Lane ...... has bought in a few more people and got people discussing the merits or not of swearing and discussions in general ......
Well the show will be broadcast too late for me tonight to listen in so those listening in have a Jolly Good Night ........ **sticks nose in the air and says what what and all that sort of stuff old chap** in a really snobby English voice (Cause Gibbo can't do it cause he's a Scouser!!!)

So it wasn't just my imagination...thanks, Shez.

I was looking for the like button there lol **likes**

[quote name='Panth wrote:

Steved1998']Jesus.. this place is turning into the Third Reich. I'm glad I didn't renew..

Lol cuz I used this mindset to slag off on some people here a page or two back.

So you can't cuss up a storm, deal with it or foad.
Telling someone to 'foad' will get you banned.. better be careful

Baja, please try to put yourself out of your moderation box when you read this. Please try to look at it as a fellow U2 fan who in the end do more for fellow fans than any other band. please try to look at this as a MEMBER of the U2 community with tenure like Gibbo.

He has been on here as a paid subscriber. He would be in here on a daily basis up until the sub forum looked like a ghost town. In 7 years, his Friday nights has mostly been an unwinding from the work week ending in having a few cocktails. Others did also and joined threads getting buzzed. You know this to be true. It was all in good fun in the end.

How many members have complained about him and his profanity in seven years? Mick James knows Gibbo well enough to know he was joking with his posts and would of probably called him a drunken twit in reply.

If you NOW have the ability to ban for a week, month, or permanent, do you have the capability to kick him out for the night? Seems like you do. I think under the circumstances a week suspension at the most is warranted.

To be honest, he really doesn't cuss as much as you make it sound on a consistent basis. You right now could be saying to yourself, "YOU'RE CRAZY TONITE JAKE!"

I would suggest to anyone to go through his old posts. You will see the ratio is in favor of non explicit language used in most of them. His profanity has mostly been after a few drinks on those Fridays or in a heated discussion that he is provoked in. There is a pattern to you on the moderating side. 

It's like being a bartender with an obnoxious LOYAL customer. It comes to a point to shut them off and if the LOYAL customer gets unruly, you get the bouncer and toss him for the night, only to come back the next day.

You sending him warnings is like trying to take the car keys out of a drunks hands. They become more obnoxious and pissed off.

Have you Baja, or any of your friends have gotten all cocked up, do or say something bad and not able to remember it till someone reminds them the next day? We all have!

Did he make a mistake? Yes! Does he need to apologize for it? As soon as he can be reminded or remember the next day or week. I guarantee he would of apologized to you. I think the way you initially handled this has made it worse. Let a member pm you if they're offended, then take action. In this case Mick didn't and wasn't.

a question, what numbers of warnings does one receive? 1, 2, or 50 depending on the person?

An FYI for ya, besides all the other issues of this site which others and myself have contemplated to resub or not, heavy moderation had been discussed in the past and is now being talked about more than ever. Just sayin'this clean pc thing is a turn off to a lot of great fans. Bottom line thats a point in not getting revenue back for u2.con

Before it was more real life and entertaining when it came to the forums..

I like the tad more integrity, but it's too sterile. It seems like u2 is trying to get a demographic on 13 your olds, who swear alot more than gibbo...