Review: Jamiroquai @ The O2 Arena, London, 15 April 2011

peterferris8

• Subscriber

It felt weird returning to the O2, particularly given that I'd seen Elbow there less than a month ago. This time, though, the atmosphere (and my seating position) was a whole lot different. 

Support act 
The special guests at the gig was a girl Lucie Silvas. I only managed to get in for the last 2 songs. Those were good, but I wouldn't go out and buy her music any time soon. 

Main set 
Probably the best gig I've been to so far. Jay Kay, the frontman, was grooving around the stage in style. A video screen behind the band flashed up several scenes, and a set of miniature planets hung from above the stage. In the end, though, the band stole the show. I found myself face to face with conclusive proof that Rob Harris is one of the most overlooked guitarists of the last 2 decades, and that Paul Turner is a truly awesome bassist - probably the best bass playing I've heard, apart from Muse's bassist. 

Setlist 
5/7 albums had songs featured in this setlist, which was a setlist which was heavy in songs from 2001's fifth album A Funk Odyssey. Aside from this, it featured 3 songs from their 1997 breakthrough third album Travelling Without Moving, and Deeper Underground, the band's contribution to the soundtrack of the film Godzilla. The other albums weren't so lucky. Only 1 song was featured from 1999's fourth effort Synkronized, and only 2 from 1994's second album The Return Of The Space Cowboy, while 1992's début album Emergency On Planet Earth, 2005's sixth album Dynamite, and Runaway & Radio from their 2006 greatest hits compilation High Times: Singles 1992-2006 were overlooked completely. However, despite this, the band played a smashing set of songs that had me on my feet for the virtually the whole set - despite being in a seated position. 

1. Rock Dust Light Star 
2. Main Vein 
3. Cosmic Girl 
4. Smoke And Mirrors 
5. You Give Me Something 
6. Lifeline 
7. Little L 
8. Canned Heat 
9. Deeper Underground 
10. Space Cowboy 
11. Love Foolosophy 
12. Travelling Without Moving