We opened the handicap ramp today!

wahine

Ten years ago, I started yelling at the top of my lungs that my town doesn't have a handicap beach access with a ramp. I went all the way to the Department of Interior in Washington, and the crazy thing was how many people fought me along the way, our own old Town Manager was fired years ago, over lying to the federal government, etc. about our handicap issues.It was like a horror story or this one or that one lying, caught in corruption, people getting fired, even the police chief, nobody could get on the same page, which I found ridiculous.  Anyhow, today the new beach crossover and handicap ramp opened, my mom cut the ribbon, it was pretty special. We even got super cool beach wheelchairs, I was pushing the Mayor all over the beach, we all took rides, and it even goes in the water and floats! I am super proud of my town. I just could not understand why the beach was not open to everyone. We are gonna get my kids friend who is extremely handicapped, we are going to get him on a surfboard now. He has lived here his whole life and has never been on the beach and literally we live on the beach, on a little barrier island. His smile today made all the years of yelling worth it!!! It was a good day.

Very cool.... and it is sad that it was so hard!

One of the things that shocked me the most was when my Congressman wanted an updated map of my little town and the town manager at the time, said there was a Marina in the lagoon at one end of the street, there is no Marina there, it is a historical pier, and then at the other end of the street, that there was a Pier sticking out into the ocean. THERE IS NO PIER IN THE OCEAN HERE! The town manager actually made a fake map! Then the federal government stopped all funds to our town and demanded back the historical grants that were made for our Pier (not a Marina). It was total insanity. The police chief tried to arrest my husband for standing at the beach, it was mental. The police chief and town manager were fired of course. The crazy thing was when I started this my dad was alive and our state Senator, he's been dead 8 years now, so I thought no big deal, but I watched so many people do stupid things that got them fired or brought up on charges. Thank God I had an audio recording of a meeting that I took because they even changed  the minutes of the meetings! All over a little handicap ramp! It was crazy. Finally ten years later, we got a common sense commission, Mayor, etc. new town manager and I still have the letters from the department of Interior where they were in full violation of ADA Section II, and they just didnt think the law applied to them, until funds were cut off, grants, etc. I have seen a lot of strange things through the years but this took the cake. I was convinced at one point these people were afraid of their own shadows! Anyhow, what's done is done and we have a new access and it is beautiful and that's all that matters. The Lord seemed to take care of all those who fought against it. Nothing should be that hard. What really blew me away was when my neighbor offered to pay for it, cuz it did cost close to a hundred thousand and had to be done before sea turtle nesting season (which now the handicap can actually go watch the turtles lay their eggs at night) begins in 2 weeks. Anyhow he offered to pay for it and they said no. I guess they were afraid of the liabilities etc. but that was when I went these people all need to go. And they were voted out of office, or fired, etc. Anyhow, we have a new ramp and a super cool beach wheelchair donated by our Rotary Club. Hopefully, we can just do a local fundraiser and purchase a few more chairs, they actually float, you can go in the ocean while you are on the wheelchair! It's so cool!

The power of ONE person to make a difference!

You are an inspiration to us all wahine!

You saw a situation that needed to be changed

and you rolled up your sleeves

directed your passion

and worked to

find a solution.

You are a shining example of

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD"