Here we go again?

peterferris8

• Subscriber

People forget that these guys are human too. Of course, with them traveling from one time zone to another, and from one form of climate to another, of course they'll get sick. Bono is going to show it the most, since he's the singer. A lot of singers go thru this as they get older. I've come across a lot of singers that take throat lozenges, or other forms, to maintain their vocal chords. Naturally, if his having trouble singing, it could just be fatigue...not necessarily being sick. He could've been talking the whole day, to the press. It's very common! The best thing for him is to keep talking to a minimum, on days off...but I doubt Bono would be able to do that. For sure, people in their inner circle, and maybe even Joe O' Herlihy, would have told him to limit his conversations. This is one reason I think U2 will be performing less on their future tours. It's either that, or have several days off, in between show days, which would prolong the tour.
You're completely right, but it's not only singers or people getting older, everybody gets a cold from time to time and sometimes your voice gets affected, but it is nothing serious, you don't go to hospital, the difference when you're a singer or anyone whose job depends on their voice, like me, is that your job is affected, when I get a sore throat I have to either stay home or if I go to work, I can't do it the same way I usually do because it involves about five hours a day talking aloud and everybody notices it, sometimes my voice is already tired because I haven't had a break for a long time and it's weak. Of course we take throat lozenges or some other things, have you ever heard of an athlete no getting massages, for example?

Bono's voice has been in great form since the beginning of the tour, we can't say he's had a night completely off (which is quite unsusual for any singer, by the way), this lattest one being affected by a little cold? (if that's what happened, cause I don't know and I don't believe the Italian site for many reasons as I said before), well, fortunately it was the last one and now he can rest for a while. I know he's doing a great job with his voice, he's been improving it consistently since the Elevation tour and it's at one of its peaks in the present one.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mariacm wrote:

bflorendo']People forget that these guys are human too. Of course, with them traveling from one time zone to another, and from one form of climate to another, of course they'll get sick. Bono is going to show it the most, since he's the singer. A lot of singers go thru this as they get older. I've come across a lot of singers that take throat lozenges, or other forms, to maintain their vocal chords. Naturally, if his having trouble singing, it could just be fatigue...not necessarily being sick. He could've been talking the whole day, to the press. It's very common! The best thing for him is to keep talking to a minimum, on days off...but I doubt Bono would be able to do that. For sure, people in their inner circle, and maybe even Joe O' Herlihy, would have told him to limit his conversations. This is one reason I think U2 will be performing less on their future tours. It's either that, or have several days off, in between show days, which would prolong the tour.

You're completely right, but it's not only singers or people getting older, everybody gets a cold from time to time and sometimes your voice gets affected, but it is nothing serious, you don't go to hospital, the difference when you're a singer or anyone whose job depends on their voice, like me, is that your job is affected, when I get a sore throat I have to either stay home or if I go to work, I can't do it the same way I usually do because it involves about five hours a day talking aloud and everybody notices it, sometimes my voice is already tired because I haven't had a break for a long time and it's weak. Of course we take throat lozenges or some other things, have you ever heard of an athlete no getting massages, for example?

Bono's voice has been in great form since the beginning of the tour, we can't say he's had a night completely off (which is quite unsusual for any singer, by the way), this lattest one being affected by a little cold? (if that's what happened, cause I don't know and I don't believe the Italian site for many reasons as I said before), well, fortunately it was the last one and now he can rest for a while. I know he's doing a great job with his voice, he's been improving it consistently since the Elevation tour and it's at one of its peaks in the present one.

They'll probably use this break to finish up their new album.

• Subscriber

[quote name='bflorendo wrote:

mariacm wrote:

bflorendo']People forget that these guys are human too. Of course, with them traveling from one time zone to another, and from one form of climate to another, of course they'll get sick. Bono is going to show it the most, since he's the singer. A lot of singers go thru this as they get older. I've come across a lot of singers that take throat lozenges, or other forms, to maintain their vocal chords. Naturally, if his having trouble singing, it could just be fatigue...not necessarily being sick. He could've been talking the whole day, to the press. It's very common! The best thing for him is to keep talking to a minimum, on days off...but I doubt Bono would be able to do that. For sure, people in their inner circle, and maybe even Joe O' Herlihy, would have told him to limit his conversations. This is one reason I think U2 will be performing less on their future tours. It's either that, or have several days off, in between show days, which would prolong the tour.

They'll probably use this break to finish up their new album.

You think so? I know they don't work at Easter, so Bono will have more than a week to rest his vocal chords, but I also expect Bono and The Edge to go to New York to get some feedback from Spiderman, they closed down the previews yesterday I think, after so much talk about Bono taking more responsibility in the production just a month ago I suppose they have to.

I don't have any basis to say this, but I think most of the record job for the new album is done, they have to make some decisions, but they want it to rest until they finish the tour. I think the main reason we haven't got an album in May is the bad timing, the end of the tour and all the critics they were getting from the musical, that or that they don't really like their work with Danger Mouse and they want time to rethink it again, if that is the case, we'll have to wait for more than a year.

• Subscriber

Or maybe Bono should just give up smoking...

It depends on how much you smoke, a few cigarrettes aren't bad for your voice, many opera singers smoke one before they go onto stage, it heats their vocal chords, of course if you smoke more than twenty a day it is going to change your pitch, but it is not that often a reason to loose your voice as people think. But it doesn't mean smoking is good, maybe it doesn't affect your voice, but it surely affects your health. 

• Subscriber

[quote name='mariacm wrote:

MacFoley']Or maybe Bono should just give up smoking...

It depends on how much you smoke, a few cigarrettes aren't bad for your voice, many opera singers smoke one before they go onto stage, it heats their vocal chords, of course if you smoke more than twenty a day it is going to change your pitch, but it is not that often a reason to loose your voice as people think. But it doesn't mean smoking is good, maybe it doesn't affect your voice, but it surely affects your health. 

i would pretty much say, smoking HAS effected bono's voice. listen to how he sang from the mid 80's up to zooropa. by the time he was set to go into the studio to record pop, the rest of the band had to wait a longtime for bono to record his parts. and reason why that album took so long to finish is because of bono's vocal problems. hence a more mellow bonovoice on pop.

by the time he recorded all that you cant leave behind he managed to find his voice again, although a little different from before in the way he sounds, he found something.

but he still is a bloody good singer!

• Subscriber

Hi

123love

Nice to hear your thoughts again.

I believe that any ones health is there wealth.

A 3 year world is enough to feel any pain. I'm sure if Bono can recover from a operation last year to continue another years success with the band, then he will get over a cold. Rest up and then re build i believe is a good option.

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mariacm wrote:

MacFoley']Or maybe Bono should just give up smoking...

i would pretty much say, smoking HAS effected bono's voice. listen to how he sang from the mid 80's up to zooropa. by the time he was set to go into the studio to record pop, the rest of the band had to wait a longtime for bono to record his parts. and reason why that album took so long to finish is because of bono's vocal problems. hence a more mellow bonovoice on pop.

by the time he recorded all that you cant leave behind he managed to find his voice again, although a little different from before in the way he sounds, he found something.

but he still is a bloody good singer!

Yes but do you think Bono sounds younger on the No Line album ??

As Bono says Smoke and drink responible kids.