Here we go again?

peterferris8

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mariacm wrote:

MacFoley']Or maybe Bono should just give up smoking...

It depends on how much you smoke, a few cigarrettes aren't bad for your voice, many opera singers smoke one before they go onto stage, it heats their vocal chords, of course if you smoke more than twenty a day it is going to change your pitch, but it is not that often a reason to loose your voice as people think. But it doesn't mean smoking is good, maybe it doesn't affect your voice, but it surely affects your health. 

i would pretty much say, smoking HAS effected bono's voice. listen to how he sang from the mid 80's up to zooropa. by the time he was set to go into the studio to record pop, the rest of the band had to wait a longtime for bono to record his parts. and reason why that album took so long to finish is because of bono's vocal problems. hence a more mellow bonovoice on pop.

by the time he recorded all that you cant leave behind he managed to find his voice again, although a little different from before in the way he sounds, he found something.

but he still is a bloody good singer!

Mac, have you ever listened to the Paris dvd in the deluxe box of The Joshua Tree remaster? You're a musician, listen to it.

I agree with you, Bono is a great singer, the only one who can bring tears to my eyes and a very honest one, he has never cheated his audience and it is really easy to do these times, that's why he sounds as good live as in the albums.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='mariacm wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

mariacm']

It depends on how much you smoke, a few cigarrettes aren't bad for your voice, many opera singers smoke one before they go onto stage, it heats their vocal chords, of course if you smoke more than twenty a day it is going to change your pitch, but it is not that often a reason to loose your voice as people think. But it doesn't mean smoking is good, maybe it doesn't affect your voice, but it surely affects your health. 

i would pretty much say, smoking HAS effected bono's voice. listen to how he sang from the mid 80's up to zooropa. by the time he was set to go into the studio to record pop, the rest of the band had to wait a longtime for bono to record his parts. and reason why that album took so long to finish is because of bono's vocal problems. hence a more mellow bonovoice on pop.

by the time he recorded all that you cant leave behind he managed to find his voice again, although a little different from before in the way he sounds, he found something.

Mac, have you ever listened to the Paris dvd in the deluxe box of The Joshua Tree remaster? You're a musician, listen to it.

I agree with you, Bono is a great singer, the only one who can bring tears to my eyes and a very honest one, he has never cheated his audience and it is really easy to do these times, that's why he sounds as good live as in the albums.
ah! yes i have both the dvd of paris and the itunes album of it too. but bono in the joshua tree tour is my least favorite. i didnt really like the way he sang the songs back then. he seemed to have sounded so different on rattle and hum though! but i didnt like the american/irish accents he put on for joshua tree.

give me unforgettable fire and zootv bono anyday!tongue.gif

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

mariacm wrote:

MacFoley']

ah! yes i have both the dvd of paris and the itunes album of it too. but bono in the joshua tree tour is my least favorite. i didnt really like the way he sang the songs back then. he seemed to have sounded so different on rattle and hum though! but i didnt like the american/irish accents he put on for joshua tree.

give me unforgettable fire and zootv bono anyday!tongue.gif

That's not my point, sorry, didn't you notice anything in his voice?

My favourite takes of Bono's voice are the Unforgettable Fire and the present one, Rattle and Hum, depending on the concert. Of course the three are very different, but equally fabulous, at least for me.

• Subscriber

MacFoley wrote:

mariacm']

give me unforgettable fire and zootv bono anyday!
tongue.gif

My favourite takes of Bono's voice are the Unforgettable Fire and the present one, Rattle and Hum, depending on the concert. Of course the three are very different, but equally fabulous, at least for me.

Anyway forget Bonos voice for a moment, Edge has a great voice it certainly works for me. 

• Subscriber

MacFoley']Or maybe Bono should just give up smoking...

It depends on how much you smoke, a few cigarrettes aren't bad for your voice, many opera singers smoke one before they go onto stage, it heats their vocal chords, of course if you smoke more than twenty a day it is going to change your pitch, but it is not that often a reason to loose your voice as people think. But it doesn't mean smoking is good, maybe it doesn't affect your voice, but it surely affects your health. Well, Bono says in U2BYU2 that he likes the way the cigarettes give his voice a rasping sound.

By the way, he can't be all that sick. He was watching Rafeal Nadal play tennis in Monte Carlo on Sunday:

http://mysteriousways-mysteriousdistance.blogspot.com/2011/04/holidays-for-bono-and-ali.html

• Subscriber

MacFoley wrote:

mariacm']

give me unforgettable fire and zootv bono anyday!
tongue.gif

yes i noticed, during the joshua tree tour, bono sounded like a yank...