RIP Gerard Smith From TV On The Radio.

mick james

• Subscriber

Not sure if you guys are fans, but I was bummed to hear the bassist from one of the best rock bands on the planet passed away at 34 from cancer yesterday.

TVOTR have been an amazing band over the last decade, and I feel lucky to have seen them in their original glory.

U2 had their tracks on heavy rotation for the 360 intro music before the shows, and if you don't know them, take the time to check them out.

• Subscriber
Mick

so sorry for your loss of someone whose music meant so much to you..

do you want us to watch the film above?

or by film, do you mean a feature length film?

so sad to die so young....

Heya Spicy my dear.

It's funny, I haven't been really saddened by the death of a musician for many a year, but I really love this band, and have always been blown away when seeing them perform. 

I think as Gerard was a similar age to me that it's really made me think about how life can go.

If you have a spare hour check the film out, it's a really well done peice of art - similar in concept to the NLOTH Linear film.  (Spicy, it's the second clip here, "Nine Types Of Light - goes for an hour)

I know U2 were fans of these guys - it's a shame they never got to play together.

My wife and I had a really great experience in Brooklyn in 2009.  We went to see these guys play, got of the Subway in Brooklyn with no idea of where to go.  By chance the only other person around was Kyp Malone, the bands vocalist/guitarist.  Wifey ran up and asked him how these lost Aussies get to his concert.  He laughed and was so friendly that he walked us the rest of the way there!

Then randomly I ended up DJing before they took the stage, and had a nice chat after the show ( translate : a very drunk Mick gushed about how much I love em!)

Anyways, check it out, I think you'll like/ appreciate it!

• Subscriber

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...2-20056052-10391698.html

Also, Dave Letterman got the boys to play a full show at the Ed Sullivan Theater last week.

Gerard was obviously too ill to play, so the bands drummer played bass and they got another drummer to fill in.

It's a pretty awesome (and noisy!) performance, but you can really tell that they are farewelling one of their brothers - the tone from the start is quite sad.

Again, worth a look!