A little help please... Irish?

oufc01

Hi all,

Just wondered if there are any latin Irish speakers who could help me out here please - I am intending on getting a tattoo  with 'You can dream, So dream out loud' from acrobat. However, to add a touch of class/mysterytongue.gif i want it done in latin Gaelic. Im struggling to find anyone who can translate and check it is correct and makes sense as a phrase I have found a couple of variations when using online translators.

Many thanks in advance!!

Good idea - but make sure you check and check again that what is being written in latin does actually translate into English what you do actually want!!!!  You may find some years down the line that instead of "You can dream, so dream out loud" you had the latin for "The Only Way Is Essex is the best programme on tv" taattooed! (If you're NOT from the UK - The Only Way Is Essex is arguably the most pointless TV programme ever!).

Thnks guys. Yeah I think this is a case of check, check and check again! Have posted the Q on a couple of latin forums, but most are coming out with different translations, lol! And, although I know they are not 100% reliable, flowingcolours translation comes out as 'You Dream. Dream to dry up there.' on a translation site. Baldymanphil, sadly I do know the programme, and no,that would be tragic to translate as that ha ha!

• Subscriber

I ran the phrase through a few different online Irish translators and got the same result:

Is féidir leat a aisling, brionglóid sin amach os ard

Hope that helps you out. smile.gif

I'm not the best with the Irish but "Is féidir leat a aisling, brionglóid sin amach os ard" comes out as "You prefer a dream, dream that out loud" which is quite close.

I think it would be better to say:

"Taibreamh tú é, mar sin taibreamh amach os ard" or "Brionglóid tú é, mar sin brionglóid amach os ard"

Either of these mean the same thing: You can dream, thus dream out loud"

(there is no appropriate word for "so" in Irish in the context that you are looking for). You could leave "sin" in (it's not incorrect but "sin" means "that" and in this context you would be referring to a particular dream and I don't think that is what you mean).

"Taibreamh tú é, mar sin taibreamh amach os ard"

To pronounce this, you would say: Tob-ruv two ay, mahr shin tob-ruv amock os 'ard

Brionglóid tú é, mar sin brionglóid amach os ard

To pronounce this, you would say: bring-loadge two ay, mahr shin bring-loadge amock os 'ard

(ard is pronounced like hard but without the h) (os is pronounced like toss but without the t)

• Subscriber

lol, love your explanation bout the pronunciation, fc. reminds me of these icelandic crime-novels i loved to read, they had this little message at the beginning to explain the pronunciation of the main characters names. that was hard to figure out...laugh.gif

Hi guys. Many, many thanks for all your help. I was too worried about it being written slightly incorrect so this morning I was feeling brave (with the help of numbing cream) and its written in English with a script style font. and I love it (first tattoo).