Simple Minds

baldyman

Yes, I know this is a U2 forum, but I was interested to hear if anyone else was a fan not only of U2 but Simple Minds as well.  I've seen them live a good few times myself and have been a fan of them as long as I have U2.  Looking forward to seeing them live again in June.

A number of years back it would be fair to say that they were on a par with U2.  Selling lots of records and playing stadiums.  But for some reason they haven't continued as U2 have.  Not really sure why.  I recall back in the 80's seeing them in front of 45,000 at Milton Keynes Bowl, selling out a number of nights at numerous arena size venues and then seeing them in the 90's and the Birmingham NEC not having been sold out.  In fact they were only using three quarters of the venue. This seemed quite sad really.  I'd seen them in this very same venue 9 or so years before with a massive stage set and they had then come to a simple stage backdrop and not using the full venue capacity.  

They are a fantastic band, no question, and I'm sure they've still got it.  I'd be really interested to hear what anyone else thinks about Simple Minds and what your thoughts are on why they didn't go the same way that U2 have in terms of the venues they are playing these days.  

• Community Moderator

I loved Simple Minds Haven't really gotten any of their stuff probably since the mid 90s, probably from lack of exposure. But I always felt they were similar to U2. "Someone, Somewhere in the Summertime" was one of my favorite songs. And "Let There Be Light". And love the whole album of Once Upon a Time!

• Subscriber

i like the simple minds. most songs. i do get a little annoyed when people say they sound like u2. okay, in some songs there's some comparison. but so much different too. like my love, when we first were together couldnt tell u2 song from SM-song??? i did teach him quick, u2-OD in next couple of years, never made the same mistake again, lol!

but seriously, i like them, think jim has a nice voice. but misses the edge that bono/u2 have (and i mean edge without capital!)

my favourite song: belfast child (ofcourse), alive and kicking (ofcourse)