Anyone gutted Jesus didn't walk the earth again on Saturday?

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Rapture' apocalypse prediction sparks atheist reaction

_52859068_52859067.jpgHarold Camping says he will spend Saturday at home in California

US atheists are to hold parties in response to an evangelical broadcaster's prediction that Saturday will be "judgement day".

The Rapture After Party in North Carolina - "the best damned party in NC" - is among the planned events.

HaroldCamping, 89, predicts that Jesus Christ will return to earth onSaturday and true believers will be swept up, or "raptured", to heaven.

He has used broadcasts and billboards to publicise his ideas.

Hesays biblical texts indicate that a giant earthquake on Saturday willmark the start of the world's destruction, and that by 21 October allnon-believers will be dead.

Mr Camping has predicted anapocalypse once before, in 1994, though followers now say that onlyreferred to an intermediary stage.

"We learn from theBible that Holy God plans to rescue about 200 million people," says atext on the website of Mr Camping's network, Family Radio Worldwide.

"Onthe first day of the Day of Judgment (May 21, 2011) they will be caughtup (raptured) into Heaven because God had great mercy for them."

'Countdown to back-pedalling'

TheRapture After Party in Fayetteville, North Carolina, is a two-day eventorganised by the Central North Carolina Atheists and Humanists.

_52859163_52859162.jpgThis prediction has been given an unusually high level of publicity

"Thoughthe absurdity of this claim is obvious to the majority of the world,it's a great opportunity to highlight some of the most bizarre beliefsoften put forth by religious fundamentalists and raise awareness of theneed for reason," said a posting about the party on the group's website.

Atheists in Tacoma, Washington, have headed their celebration "countdown to back-pedalling".

Events are also planned in Houston, Florida and California.

Anatheist and entrepreneur from New Hampshire, Bart Centre, is enjoying aboost in business for Eternal Earth-bound Pets, which he set up to lookafter the pets of those who believe they will be raptured.

He has more than 250 clients who are paying up to $135 (£83) to have their pets picked up and cared for after the rapture.

Theywould be disappointed twice, he told the Wall Street Journal. "Oncebecause they weren't raptured and again because I don't do refunds."

'No Plan B'

MeanwhileMr Camping, who has been criticised by more mainstream Christians, sayshe knows "without any shadow of a doubt" that "judgement day" isarriving.

He says he will spend Saturday with his wife, close to a TV or radio.

"I'll be interested in what's happening on the other side of the world as this begins," he told Reuters.

There is no "Plan B", he says.

His campaign has been unusually widely promoted - both in the US, and overseas, including in the Middle East.

InVietnam, thousands of members of the Hmong ethnic minority gatherednear the border with Laos earlier this month to await the 21 May event,the Associated Press reported.

Chris McCann of eBibleFellowship, one of the groups helping to spread the message, said ithad been publicised in almost every country.

"Theonly countries I don't feel too good about are the "stans" - you know,Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, those countries in Central Asia," he said.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Well it has helped REM to be posted on facebook a lot today and also 'Last Night On Earth' too!!!

Well I guess we have a few hours to wait as 6pm Pacific time!! I did hear that it had been postponed though! Till next year! I have been reading up about it to see what it all is about for the past few months and trying to under the numberology behind it all - still can't see how it adds up to this date (maybe that is why I am not a Maths teacher!) and all this rapture - is it only today and then we wait around til October when earth shuts down or are people going to be taken everyday?? And who goes on what day - alphabetical order? Age order? Strength of belief? Country by country? All just too confusing!!!

But two things which does really worry me - 1) How can one man who has been proved wrong once, have the oportunity to do this again? Billboard adverts, TV, Radio coverage etc... and 2) The fact that people have been donating money to him to help in the Rapture - how can people not see him for hte Charlaton that he is - why does God need the money? And when this doesn't happen - is he going to refund it all to them? I don't think so!

People like him make a mockery to the true meaning of God.

• Subscriber

people like him, people will tar all christian's with the same brush. made to look like the religion is wrong, the bible is wrong, and to be made look like a bunch of loons!

but at the sametime, there are some real crazy people in the world who actually believed the world was going to end on the 21st of may 2011..............

much like 2012, which again, wont happen.

its about time people woke up and spent energy on how to prolong the earth's life, which i think is god's aim for us. to bring peace between all nations, which again is god's aim for us. take mankind back to where it was. before the romans started putting taxes on everything.

but that wont happen in an ideal world. because man ruined an ideal world.

but there is no harm in trying eh?

• Subscriber

its about time people woke up and spent energy on how to prolong the earth's life, which i think is god's aim for us. to bring peace between all nations, which again is god's aim for us. take mankind back to where it was. before the romans started putting taxes on everything.

but that wont happen in an ideal world. because man ruined an ideal world.

But people don't seem to want peace though do they? Why have peace between nations when they can flex their political muscles and showe their 'power'. I think that some people are scared of peace on earth - if there is peace etc... what place would the politicians have? - there would be no place for them, no place for armies etc... and i think that scares people.

But I agree with you Mac that God's aim is to have peace between all - what a dream it would be, but can you really see it happening? is utopia only a place written about and can't exist for real?

• Subscriber

My niece will be on the ferry tonight travelling to Vancouver when this is supposed to happen. She said she will fine fine because the boat will be like Noah's ark and she will travel on to repopulate the earth again, lol. She said she will look for hot guys on there to mate with, lol. What a goof!

God, if there is one, or whatever being you may believe in, would not be a hateful, judgemental person who would perform horrible acts towards people. If these nuts can't wait to die and go to heaven, why don't they just off themselves and go there and leave the rest of us alone.

I am not anti-Christian, anti-God or anti-Jesus. Some people take religion too far.

For the record, I consider my beliefs to be a combination of a bit of Christianity, Buddism and Wiccan.

• Subscriber

My niece will be on the ferry tonight travelling to Vancouver when this is supposed to happen. She said she will fine fine because the boat will be like Noah's ark and she will travel on to repopulate the earth again, lol. She said she will look for hot guys on there to mate with, lol. What a goof!

God, if there is one, or whatever being you may believe in, would not be a hateful, judgemental person who would perform horrible acts towards people. If these nuts can't wait to die and go to heaven, why don't they just off themselves and go there and leave the rest of us alone.

I am not anti-Christian, anti-God or anti-Jesus. Some people take religion too far.

For the record, I consider my beliefs to be a combination of a bit of Christianity, Buddism and Wiccan.

funny about your niece!

i think the word your looking for is CO-EXIST!smile.gif