MacFoley's U2 song of the day shuffle thread

MacFoley

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

danielsentana']Even Better than the Real Thing: Live from Brasil 2011

4/5

Great song but seeing that nearly everyone's giving 5/5 I'll go for 4. The 360 remix doesn't entirely convince me, it's a bloody good way of starting a show for sure(better than dull opener Beautiful Day) but what is this nonsense of Edge playing the solo at the beginning of the song?

Still, it's incredible to hear it live (i'm a fan of the Perfecto-PopMart mix) and, as part of Achtung Baby, EBTTRT represents the world of consumerism and temptations that everyday people are faced with; in this case, this song centers on the fantasies which people create about their lives.

However, I had it as a ringtone for a long time because it's so awesome!, especially the wah pedal part!

hey i rated my last u2 song of the day a 4/5....

Whoops didn't see that one...sorry Mac! grin.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Electrical Storm 5/5 (I'd go for 6/5 if I could :P)

Love this song - one of my top 5 u2 songs. I'm not exactly sure what it is - great music, love the lyrics, love Bono's voice in it. "Let's see colours that have never been seen, let's go to places no one else has been...'

The video clip is pretty awesome too!

So they played it live 3 times near the start of this tour then it disappeared - I would love for them to bring it back so I could see it live :)

• Subscriber

The Ocean -Boy

@1.35 its probably the shortest song the've ever done, i can't really remember when i first heard it precisely but i do remember buying Boy October and War all at the same time around 1990 on tape... a couple of years after i nicked JT and UF from my sister. Those songs on the albums all kind of mixed into each other as i kind of played them all one after another. Theres better songs on the album but its still a 5/5 comfortably!

• Community Moderator

Until the End of the World, Atlanta 3/5/92

Easily 5/5. This was my first show to ever see them live, it was ZooTV and they were on fire. I always love this song live, but this one is real special.

(And just so you know, Mac, I had my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get something that I couldn't give 5/5 on my first one :P )

• Subscriber

Where the streets have no name, The Joshua Tree

Well not sure if I should say this, this wasn't an instant favourite, it took a while for me to get into (runs and hides)..........Please don't let liljbau see this he will never speak to me again!!!

I loved the first 3 albums ( like Steve lillywhite) loved TUF (ENO)

On first playing I thought The Joshua Tree a bit bland, yep, afraid so, dare I say this, especially the first 3 tracks, I would skip them, I loved the rest.

BUT.. this track comes alive, LIVE

I went to see Rattle & Hum and the rest is history,

I remember Brussels last year on the second night, it was torrential rain and everyone was starting to drift away and then streets started up and the whole place came alive.

As soon as I hear Edges guitar I want to jump up and down........

3 out of 5 when it first came out but now I'd score it 5 out of 5

• Subscriber

Ok, Im not listening to any U2 at the moment but will break it just for this thread Mac tongue.gif

oh God.....gah.

City of Blinding lights ...Live from Glasgow '09

3/5

Don't get me wrong, i do like this song but its my toilet break song during a show. I can't explain my reasons why but i suppose i just like other songs alot more during the show. Heres a video of Bono just over us on the bridge at the end of Uf and the start of Cobl during the Glasgow show.

• Subscriber

With or without you- ZooTV live (fanclub)

From my favourite album - 5/5. Id say one of the best live performances of the song. It seems to build up really nicely and then finish. The start of the song seems a biut more alive a quicker than the album version. Probably one of the most over played songs ever (xfactor etc...) but its still one of the best imo and it has to be played by u2 and sung by Bono otherwise its just not the same.

• Subscriber

okay, still looking for shuffle mod, but i did discover the 'most played' section, and right on top there was................................... discotheque!!!!!

from my second favourite album POP. i love this song, i love the video. i know some fans just hate it, the sound, the look, the village people-imitation. its all so ironic, and thats why i love it that much. i can just see the boys faces when they recorded this, and the video too. theink they had great fun, just taking p*ss out of the fans, popmusic and themselves.
apart from the humor, i love the music, just makes me wanna party! love the boomcha-part so much.
its also very confrontational. you know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what it is, but you still want some, you just cant get enough of the lovei-dovie stuff....the world of partying, goin out, the night life with beautiful/sexy boys and girls having fun in a world without problems or pain. its all fake. they know. but they still want some more.
i read somewhere that doves were popular extacy-tablets round that time. people taking them know the feeling it gives you, the happiness is fake, but its so addictive, you wanna feel it over and over again.

rate: 4.5/5 (not exactly 5, but too good for a 4, lol!)

• Subscriber

Turned ipod on, went straight to u2 shuffle and oh dear...................

IGCIIDGCT (Fish out of Water mix)

3 out of 5

I must admit I usually skip this if it comes on, so I'm probably being unfair to rate it.

I prefer the live version from the concerts. I find this remix a bit slow, although listening to it all the way through, it could grow on me, maybe!!

I do love IGCIIDGCT, both the studio version and the live version, it's a fun song.