MacFoley's U2 song of the day shuffle thread

MacFoley

• Subscriber

Original of the Species: album version ( this is the second time this has appeared ) !!!!

5 out of 5

love it, love it, love it...

How can anyone not like the video !!!!!!!

One of my favourite tracks on HTDAAB

Orchestra and jangly guitar, and Bono sounding great...

sorry to be a geek but.................here is a story for you.............

when u2 were recording the bomb album original of the species was originally planned to have a string section. the u2 crew hired one in, which cost a bit of money. u2 and the string section start playing, and nothing gets done. no string section was recorded, u2 by taking so long made the crew a little annoyed and the string section bailed.

then it was left to the good old synths to play in the string section that should have been recorded as planned.

the album version contains false strings played on synths. nothing wrong with it.

but hail! SAVE THE DAY! the single version HAS real strings on it. but the time the album was in full flow and out, and u2 knew what they wanted on the song with real strings, a new string section were called up to lay down what should have been done in the first place!

RESULT!

you can also hear the difference of the fake strings (album version) and the real strings (single version)

god im such a geek!!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

maggie18patchwork']Original of the Species: album version ( this is the second time this has appeared ) !!!!

5 out of 5

love it, love it, love it...

How can anyone not like the video !!!!!!!

One of my favourite tracks on HTDAAB

Orchestra and jangly guitar, and Bono sounding great...

sorry to be a geek but.................here is a story for you.............

when u2 were recording the bomb album original of the species was originally planned to have a string section. the u2 crew hired one in, which cost a bit of money. u2 and the string section start playing, and nothing gets done. no string section was recorded, u2 by taking so long made the crew a little annoyed and the string section bailed.

then it was left to the good old synths to play in the string section that should have been recorded as planned.

the album version contains false strings played on synths. nothing wrong with it.

but hail! SAVE THE DAY! the single version HAS real strings on it. but the time the album was in full flow and out, and u2 knew what they wanted on the song with real strings, a new string section were called up to lay down what should have been done in the first place!

RESULT!

you can also hear the difference of the fake strings (album version) and the real strings (single version)

god im such a geek!!!!

Love it.... never knew this Mac

Rushes of to find single and compare and contrast!!!!... single cost me a bomb on ebay so have never played it....

• Community Moderator

No Line on the Horizon 2 (from the Boots single)

4/5 I'm always a sucker for the raw, not-so-finished songs and this is no exception. Wish No Line would come back to the tour.

• Subscriber

THE HANDS THAT BUILT AMERICA......

5/5

dark dark song, mellow, the u2 i like. first time i heard this was when u2.com had exclusive plays of the two new songs from the new best of 1990-2000. first time i heard this i thought it was boring as hell...didnt really go anywhere for me....but then i saw the video version which i instantly loved. edge on the keys, bono on acoustic guitar, that pounding beat from larry.

so im rating this on the video version here...which is kind of the same of the best of version, but better! is that ok??? :D

• Subscriber

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE

5/5

first time i remember listening to this song was when i was in school. 1987/1988 would have been the year. i just got into u2. three years after live aid, collecting their albums up to this point. in 88 i would also given a tape of rattle and hum.

when i was talking to my friend at the time about this new band i discovered, he said to me have you got the unforgettable fire? i was like no. he said what? its better than the joshua tree.......i looked at him like he was crazy! so he did me a copy on tape and i listened to it.........the unforgettable fire came on, i was just totally blown away! it then turned into one of my favorite u2 songs at the time, along with streets, with or without you, new year's day, sunday bloody sunday, i will follow, the unforgettale fire was up there. the song writing is amazing, those lyrics by bono are his best!

i managed to catch them play this song at cardiff on the 360 tour! and its one they should play now the tour is coming to an end! along with the other great songs they are playing now. a gig with the fly and unforgettale fire with zooropa? imagine THAT!............

oh and by the way, the unforgettable fire was the birth of joshua tree.........thats what i said back to him!!!!!

• Subscriber

GRACE

3.5 out of 5

closer on the behind album isnt my favorite closer on all u2's album,,,,,,but,,,,,,thankgod for the uk import, which means ground beneath her feet is the real closer to me!

anyhow, grace, yes, if it wasn't for the music that reminds me the unforgettable fire album, infact the music on grace reminds me alot of bass trap, the unforgettable fire single b-side.......then i would have given this a 2.5 out of 5. because the cheesy lyrics bono sings on this is quite sappy.

thankgod they have never played this song live too.........but then it is better than in a little while,,,,,,,but that song hasnt come up yet on my shuffle list yet, it survived another day!

• 1 month later...