Isn't it ironic?

silkspectre

There has been a lot of discussion about this.  Apparently none of the things mentioned in Alanis Morissette's song are ironic.   Sometimes it's important to know the meaning of irony, espcially if you're trying to pass a course in  English Lit. 

Questions:

1.  What is your definition of irony?

2.  What is your favorite example of something that is ironic?

Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just go to wikipedia:

"Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰÏωνεία eirÅneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. Ironic statements (verbal irony) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony is created as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality."

Examples:

1.  Macbeth plans Duncan's murder while feigning loyalty to the king.

2.  "I see dead people" is also an exmple of irony since Bruce Willis is unaware that he is dead.

• Subscriber
I just go to wikipedia:

"Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰÏωνεία eirÅneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. Ironic statements (verbal irony) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony is created as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality."

Examples:

2.  "I see dead people" is also an exmple of irony since Bruce Willis is unaware that he is dead.

2. Isn't that ironic? as far as I've heard Bruce Willis is alive. The character in that movie, the "I see dead people" movie ??

the real title is evading me.

• Subscriber

[quote name='hestia wrote:

Claretta']I just go to wikipedia:

"Irony
(from the Ancient Greek
εἰÏωνεία
eirÅneía
, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)
is a
, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. Ironic statements (
verbal irony
) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (
situational irony
) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony is
created
as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality."

Examples:

2. Isn't that ironic? as far as I've heard Bruce Willis is alive. The character in that movie, the "I see dead people" movie ??

the character he plays in the movie is dead, right? he just dont know. he's been shot or something? or stabbed? i forgot, but he's dead, and its not till the end of the movie he realizes this. thought that was a great angle in the story.

• Subscriber

[quote name='barbara1 wrote:

hestia wrote:

Claretta']I just go to wikipedia:

"Irony
(from the Ancient Greek
εἰÏωνεία
eirÅneía
, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)
is a
, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. Ironic statements (
verbal irony
) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (
situational irony
) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony is
created
as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality."

Examples:

the character he plays in the movie is dead, right? he just dont know. he's been shot or something? or stabbed? i forgot, but he's dead, and its not till the end of the movie he realizes this. thought that was a great angle in the story.

It was such a great angle it's the only thing I can remember from the movie. laugh.gif