Heard Spider-Man went off!!!!

wahine

Yeah, well it seems like everyone has changed their tune. It's breaking news all over the NY papers and the theater scene and even down here. Supposedly the show went off, Bill Clinton and just about anyone who is anyone was there. Even the Julie witch showed up parading around. Sorry, but I do not like that lady and when they fired her ass on my birthday (it just fell on that day) I was like yes, get her outta there and fix that show, I was so stoked. It looks like all the hard work Edge and Bono finally put into the show once she was gone paid off. Reviews are coming in well received. Good job.

I think the actors put in the hardest work of all. Preparing for a play, and probably the first one for some of them, and the show constantly get ripped apart and the butt of every comedian in the country had to be very hard for all involved, especially the actors. I think Bono and Edge probably had the easiest part of the whole thing, the music.

I hope it has a long run and makes the money it needs to recoup the cost of it and then some.

• Subscriber

Caught the NBC interviews with the Edge and Bono. Thought the two did a wonderful job of responding to some challenging questions. There's a tremendous amount of pressure on these individuals to perform both on and off the stage and they should be very proud of "rising above" the constancy of challenges presented. The public has such high expectations that sometimes it's easy to lose sight of the fact that they are just people trying to do what they love and make a positive difference in the world. It was especially nice to see the Edge replying so articulately to the questions posed by the interviewer. He was also very diplomatic in sharing the stage with his contemporary. The two represented U2 well by feeding off one another's strengths as friends and role models. Keep smiling gents and hopefully finding some solace in the knowledge that you're cared about and appreciated.

Here's the link to the NBC interview: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43398750#43398750

Thanks, I'm usually all over msnbc.com every day, missed it somehow.

This looks something from that:

With a track record like that of U2's Bono and the Edge, one would expect that anything they did would be effortless -- even composing the score for the much-publicized Broadway musical 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.' But in an interview in front of a New York City audience on Monday night, the Edge admitted that work on the production was touch and go at times. Still, he made a point to say, "We believed in the project. If we could get it right, it'll be an amazing thing."

Both the Edge and Bono spoke at a 92nd Street Y event on the eve of the official Broadway opening of 'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.' (The accompanying cast album is also being released on Tuesday, June 14). Talking to interviewer and Jujamcyn Theaters president Jordan Roth, the two U2 members spoke of their involvement in the production, which has been in the news in the last couple of months because of its delayed opening, injuries to cast memberso9 and the departure of director Julie Taymor.

"She was so into it," Bono said about Taymor, who is best known for her work on the musical version of 'The Lion King.' "I miss her -- she's an extraordinary artist. But we have to make it work. We're very serious about what we do. We feel that it's our duty to her that it's a success."

"I loved it," he added about the production. "I've had suspended disbelief. I've been taken away by this."

About their initial involvement in the theater, the Edge had said that they recognized the potential of magic happening. "We were intrigued by it. If it was the right project, it might lead to something we want to do."

Brought up in the conversation was an aspect of Bono's early life: his own involvement in the theater as a 13-year-old in a production of 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.' He revealed a poignant memory from that experience: "It was the only time my mother saw me sing."

The singer also commented about the musical's main protagonist, Peter Parker/Spider-Man. "Peter Parker is such a great character," he said, "because he's not so fantastic at first. He's an ordinary guy that does extraordinary things."

In his questioning, moderator Roth brought up themes from the story of 'Spider-Man.' One of them was about "with great power comes great responsibility," which prompted a response from Bono about the band's activism. Another subject was about normalcy, to which Bono said, "I've forgotten that I'm famous," and then joked, "I think Edge never knew." He added: "I'll tell you who is a rock star, Chris Tierney [the 'Spider-Man' actor who was injured during a performance, and has returned to the production]. He's sort of a life force."

Audience members and online followers were invited to submit questions for the U2 members. Asked which song they wished they could have wrote, Bono cited 'Amazing Grace' and later mentioned Kris Kristofferson's 'Help Me Make It Through the Night' and Bob Dylan's 'Visions of Johanna.'

As far as the new musical itself, Bono believes there has been some support amid all the detractors: "I think people who love the theater, who love the process, they want to see us succeed."

The music is not getting raves, except for Rise Above and The Boy Falls From the Sky and A Freak Like Me Needs Company, which is suppose to be quite sardonic.  One article probably said it best, the songs were written for Spiderman 1.0 and when they made changes some of the songs didn't quite fit as well with Spiderman 2.0.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews, some love it, some say it's decent enough to take the family too and anyone who likes the classic story.

Found this article from our local radio station why Bono and Edge decided to get involved with Broadway, it's because of the Beatles http://wxrt.radio.com/2011/06/15/bono-the-edge-inspired-by-the-beatles-to-do-spider-man-on-broadway/