Ashamed and Saddened With Vancouver Riots

PattiU2

• Subscriber

The Vancouver Canucks lost game 7 of the finals tonight against the Boston Bruins and did not win the Stanley Cup (ice hockey).  Immediately after, drunken idiots started rioting in downtown Vancouver.  Cars were set on fire, including police cars, windows smashed, businesses looted and just general stupidity.  Last year Vancouver hosted the world with the Winter Olympics and showed everyone what a beautiful city and province we are and people were impressed with the kindness and good nature of the people.  Now a few idiots ruin the reputation with some stupid acts.  Its like a war zone, I can't believe it.  This also happened in 1994 when the Canucks lost.  The games were being televised on big screens downtown with areas roped off for people to enjoy and celebrate, well over 100,000 people, including families and the elderly.  

They are setting cars on fire and then jumping on them, its insane.

People who know me will tell you that I am a huge Canucks fan, and as a fan this saddens me.  As a resident of the Province of British Columbia, I am ashamed that some citizens behave in this manner.

This is a block or two from where U2 has played many concerts in Vancouver.

The mayor just said its shameful and dispicable for a world-class city to behave in this maner,

• Subscriber

L.A. fans rioted after the Lakers won!

I wonder sometimes if the people causing the trouble are actually people that live in the city.

A Facebook friend from LA mentioned that as well.  Its not the real fans who are doing this, its a bunch of hooligans.  One news just said "who brings molotov cocktails and balaclavas to watch a hockey game".  

Michigan State U rioted big time back in 2001 (i think) when they lost to Duke in the Final 4. Which is absurd because the year before they won the championship (over Duke right?) I was living in East Lansing at the time. It's really unfortunate when people do something so stupid for such a stupid reason.

too much alcohol + super excited passions = madness

• Subscriber

[quote name='PattiU2 wrote:

Angel-Eyes']
L.A. fans rioted after the Lakers won!

I wonder sometimes if the people causing the trouble are actually people that live in the city.

A Facebook friend from LA mentioned that as well.  Its not the real fans who are doing this, its a bunch of hooligans.  One news just said "who brings molotov cocktails and balaclavas to watch a hockey game".  Therein lies the answer Patti... not hockey fans... thugs using the crowds as camouflage to commit crimes.

I'm sad and embarrassed by their behaviour - this is not the sort of thing Canadians do... its not who we are.

• Subscriber

i understand how you feel, patti. i'm not a sport-lover myself ,partly because of the violence that seems to be part of it. (and yes i know there are people like you who love sports and support certain team and stay civilized... but why does it seem like  they're the minority??)

but its not just your country, its not just your fellow canuck-fans, it happenes everywhere. all over the planet. it happened over here too. supporters from each team have to be seperated cause they would smash eachothers heads in... why??? and why is it just certain sports? cause i cant imagine kim clijsters fans, or serena williams fans fighting and burning cars when they lose a tennisgame??
it makes me sad too. sport supposed to be entertaining and fun...