U2 bringing their own staging to Glastonbury :)

mickos

Eavis has been quoted in the UK press:

U2 are excited, especially after they couldn’t come last year. I first tried to book them 35 years ago. 
They are bringing their own stage with them. We're having to put a lot of stuff in for them
 but we’re so happy to have them.

The Pyramid stage is a great stage, but by the sounds of it they are going to be adding in a few bits to add to the atmosphere.

I predict a big glitter ball at least!

http:

How about a big shiny lemon? Or is that too wierd !!

Larry says they are going back to playing on a small stage and I can't see them using a walkway out into the crowd as at the end of the day this is Glastonbury and NOT a U2 show.

• Subscriber

How about a big shiny lemon? Or is that too wierd !!

Larry says they are going back to playing on a small stage and I can't see them using a walkway out into the crowd as at the end of the day this is Glastonbury and NOT a U2 show.

That's what occurred to me today. 

Isn't the idea of a festival stage that it's the festival which provides the stage? I don't think that the band should be allowed to have it all their way.

So if U2 are allowed to bring in some of their staging, then they would have to set up at least the day before the festival starts...I highly doubt they'll have any of the Claw structures there. If any, a cat walk of some sort. They'll probably be loading in their 4 sound consoles, their backline, and maybe extra visual FX. So I'd expect some aerial photos taken and posted leading up to the event. I highly doubt this would be a "throw 'n' go" gig, which mostly occurs in festival situations. In this situation, bands will just have a quick line check/sound check, about 20 mins. before they come on. I'd expect Joe Ravich (FOH Systems Tech) to tune the P.A., that morning, along with the backline crew hitting some notes....the headlining band's crew would be the ones to do this, along with the venue's crew. Then do a quick sound check just before they come on. It will be interesting to see how much they communicate with their monitor crew (in charge of their in-ears) at the start...The Edge is very sensitive about his in-ear mix. That's one of the major differences between a headlining tour and a festival setting.

• Subscriber

So if U2 are allowed to bring in some of their staging, then they would have to set up at least the day before the festival starts...I highly doubt they'll have any of the Claw structures there. If any, a cat walk of some sort. They'll probably be loading in their 4 sound consoles, their backline, and maybe extra visual FX. So I'd expect some aerial photos taken and posted leading up to the event. I highly doubt this would be a "throw 'n' go" gig, which mostly occurs in festival situations. In this situation, bands will just have a quick line check/sound check, about 20 mins. before they come on. I'd expect Joe Ravich (FOH Systems Tech) to tune the P.A., that morning, along with the backline crew hitting some notes....the headlining band's crew would be the ones to do this, along with the venue's crew. Then do a quick sound check just before they come on. It will be interesting to see how much they communicate with their monitor crew (in charge of their in-ears) at the start...The Edge is very sensitive about his in-ear mix. That's one of the major differences between a headlining tour and a festival setting.

I'm not seeing a gantry. Like I said, the artists shouldn't be allowed to have the setup all their own way. The festival provides its own staging, and just because it's U2 doesn't mean they should get to have it all their way. Visual FX - maybe. 

Also, the problem with setting it up before the show starts would basically turn it into a U2 gig. If the staging were set up before any other bands came on, that would mean that B.B. King, Biffy Clyro and Morrissey would have to put up with it, and not be able to have whatever little spares they might like to bring. They'd just be support acts, rather than being performers in their own right.