U2 to deliver deluxe editions of AB and Zooropa

surrenders

http://www.guitarcentral.ca/index.php?q=node/578 it's also reported in Rolling Stone magazine

U2’s Achtung Baby marks its 20th anniversary this year and the Irish rockers are planning to release a deluxe edition of the album to celebrate. The 1991 album also will be paired with U2’s 1993 release, Zooropa, in a special edition box set, according to Rolling Stone – via Slicing Up Eyeballs.

“There will be multiple formats,†said U2 manager Paul McGuinness. “If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value.â€

The plan is for each album to be issued on its own and that the set will include bonus audio and video material from U2’s ZOO TV concerts.

Last month, it was reported that the band members were filming footage for an Achtung Baby documentary with It Might Get Loud’s Davis Guggenheim.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

“There will be multiple formats,†said U2 manager Paul McGuinness. “If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value.â€

Yuck.

That doesn't sound like a celebration of one of rock's greatest albums!

That is a cash grab.

The U2 I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister.

• Subscriber

We all have different wants and means to obtain them, I personally love the extras and am happy to pay for them.

I also think that we should look at what we are getting for our money - a lot more than most other bands in terms of quality and commitment from U2.

FEEL the energy behind the music (voice), there isn't enough money in the universe to pay these guys back!

• Subscriber

David and Connie - I understand... and I will buy the remastered albums... the box sets, because I choose to and for the most part because I have the means to...

... however McG's quote... reeks of a cash grab.. and is utterly condescending...

Paraphrase... "... if we fill a U2 box set with enough styrofoam peanuts and gussy up the exterior packaging, we can gouge the consumer and the knuckleheads will STILL buy it.... ahahahahaha...."

I can only pray his quote is taken out of context...

Yuck.

That doesn't sound like a celebration of one of rock's greatest albums!

That is a cash grab.

The U2 I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister.

Well, we can't fault McGuinness for being honest there.    

Mind you, he just cost U2 a big chunk of their fanbase, but seeing as how they've been hellbent on destroying their fanbase in recent years, maybe this is all part of some grand scheme? 

"Cash grab" it is - and I won't be buying it, just like I refuse(d) to buy all the other overpriced "deluxe" U2 re-releases that have been pumped out over the years.

To judge from the sales figures I've seen, I have a lot of company. All the other re-issues have apparently sold poorly; even supposedly "limited edition" versions are easy to find in the shops.  So why, then, are U2 doing the same thing with AB and Zooropa? The band are obviously freaked out by the (relatively) low sales for NLOTH, to the point where it's got them unable to get their heads around putting out a new album; so, how is releasing another couple of overpriced re-issues supposed to help? All this sort of thing does is alienate their fans, fail to impress non-fans, sell poorly, and then the band take delivery of a big helping of negative karma  down the road--namely, alienated fans won't turn out to buy your new material (especially if you've done the overwrought/overpriced multiple versions thing with that one, too.)

If U2 were smart--and they're listening to their record label, so they're not very smart--they'd do the nice remastered disc thing, for sale at standard retail prices, just to keep the old back catalog fresh and shiny.  Then do the bonus-material disc(s) in a separate, fan-friendly set that hasn't been created just to screw U2 fans out of more money. I guarantee you, the fans would buy something like that, but they're going to need to see real value for their money.  Real life has shown that U2 fans don't turn out in droves to buy a lot of overpriced nothing.

Also proof that U2 really need to stop listening to their record label (and McGuinness):  Pretty much any "bonus" material released will almost immediately hit the Internet in some form or another--no one needs to pay sky-high prices to hear the stuff.

If/when U2 ever get their nerve up and release a new album, they also need to not release the album in multiple overpriced packaging schemes, because that's a major turn-off to music buyers. So...let's say there's a new U2 CD released, with, um, a bad movie on DVD, or a magazine, or pictures, thrown in to a fancier sleeve and marked up the wazoo. Note to U2: No. One. Gives. A. F**k. About fancy sleeves or magazines or arty music video aka 'screen saver' stuff.   Honestly. 

We could use a little more value, and a lot more respect, please.

--

U2 Go Back to the Nineties With Massive 'Achtung Baby' Reissue

"I'm blown away listening to some of the outtakes," says the Edge

June 23, 2011

By Brian Hiatt

June 23, 2011 5:10 PM ET

On the most recent dates of U2's 360° Tour, the band members have been showing grainy footage of themselves hanging out in Berlin during the recording of Achtung Baby — a rare moment of unabashed nostalgia that also hints at what's next from U2. This fall, the band will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the album that hit the reset button on its sound — along with the LP's accompanying Zoo TV Tour and its 1993 follow-up, Zooropa — with ambitious reissues, complete with unseen video footage and rare recordings.

"I'm blown away listening to some of the rough mixes and the outtakes," says the Edge. "There's some very interesting alternative versions that we discovered of songs that wouldn't have seen the light of day, alternative lyrics, different arrangement styles — it's like Achtung Baby out of focus."

It's likely there will be separate reissues of Achtung Baby and Zooropa, along with a deluxe box set that incorporates both albums as well as video and/or audio from Zoo TV. "There will be multiple formats," says U2's manager, Paul McGuinness. "If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value." The band is also working on a U2 app for the iPad and other tablets that could be involved with the releases.

The group recently filmed a new performance of songs from the period in a Canadian theater, reportedly for use in a documentary directed by Davis Guggenheim, who worked with the Edge on the guitar doc It Might Get Loud. The band has also discovered substantial unseen footage from the early Nineties. "We were filming everything," says McGuinness. "There's a lot of material that has never really been seen, and seeing it will be quite startling."

Think I will reserve judgment and wait for official news on the formats.

Exactly, there's usually a variety of formats to choose from, from just a remastered cd of the  album to a big box set with all the bells and whistles.  Springsteen has done the same thing and other artists.  I think Paul Mc's statement is pretty weird though.

• Subscriber

[quote name='surrenders wrote:

MacFoley']Think I will reserve judgment and wait for official news on the formats.

Exactly, there's usually a variety of formats to choose from, from just a remastered cd of the  album to a big box set with all the bells and whistles.  Springsteen has done the same thing and other artists.  I think Paul Mc's statement is pretty weird though.

Yes. It does seem like he wants to sponge monies off fans in every way off one u2 album. Bollocks to him if this is the case.